Emerald Princess and CC on the news

Shogun

Hi All

Hope link works,

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/norovirus-cruise-outbreaks-two-ships-112212927.html

any way some quotes

But Sue Hayes, from Arkansas, said she was on the Emerald Princess and her husband fell ill. She has been critical of how the crew members handled the crisis,

"I have gone and got food for him because it may be a long time to get it delivered, like two hours after scheduled."

so if I am reading this right she has noro and went for food.

yours Shogun

But Sue Hayes, from Arkansas, said she was on the Emerald Princess and her husband fell ill. She has been critical of how the crew members handled the crisis,

It seems her criticism was how overworked the crew assigned to dealing with the cabins of infected passengers was since the regular cabin stewards had to avoid being in the rooms.

It seems her criticism was how overworked the crew assigned to dealing with the cabins of infected passengers was since the regular cabin stewards had to avoid being in the rooms.
That's usually the case, i.e., your regular cabin steward doesn't come in and clean. they send people in HAZMAT outfits. If people had only stayed in their cabins when they were supposed to (not criticizing the wife but others), the crew wouldn't have been overworked. I sure hope she washed her hands thoroughly before going to the buffet to get food.

Hi, Folks,

We were on the Emerald 12/17 - 27. I first suspected Noro when we went to breakfast on the 3rd morning (Dec. 20) and noticed there were no creamer pitchers, salt and pepper, or sweeteners on the table. Soon after came the shipwide announcement about "an increase in gastrointestinal complaints being presented to medical". A couple of days later, I watched two crew members putting on the hazmat suits down the hall from my cabin on the Emerald. Someone mentioned that only a few crewmembers were qualified to use the hazmat suits. A number of the crew were ill also, which made it harder to staff up for it.

Other things noted:

• The Horizon Court immediately switched to passengers being served by staff and silverware and napkins were handed out with the dish instead of being on the tables. Also, drinks were brought to the table - no self-serve. When you got up from the table, it was immediately cleared and wiped with disinfectant.
  • Great dissapointment - the hors d'oeuvres in the Elite Lounge were discontinued. Fewer people showed up after that.
  • Crew were continually wiping down railings with a solution.
  • Tables and seats in lounges were literally sprayed with disinfectant late at night (I was surprised that they sprayed, instead of wiped).
  • Continual admonitions to wash your hands (amazing how many people don't!).
  • Outer doors to rest rooms were blocked open so you wouldn't have to touch the handles after washing (see comment immediately above).

I thought they did a pretty good job. After a few days of this, they announced that the number of cases presented to Medical had dropped and they were easing up on the restrictions; however, most remained in effect until we docked in Ft. Lauderdale. While 1/3 of the passengers (perhaps 1100) were staying on for the New Year's cruise, we were told they would have to get off the ship so it could be completely decontaminated. They were given free shore excursions in Ft. Lauderdale to occupy their time. When leaving the terminal, I saw some people already lining up to board for the next cruise. I'm sure they had a long wait!

Art

Great dissapointment - the hors d'oeuvres in the Elite Lounge were discontinued. Fewer people showed up after that.

When we were on board during a noro alert, they still had the hors d'oeuvres in the Elite Lounge, but they served them instead of our being able to serve ourselves.

I always wonder why they single out cruiselines in their headlines in cases like this.

As noted in this article 2 people died in Japan and more than a million cases are reported in the UK this season alone but the headline does not mention that.

I guess Cruiselines make better stories :(.

Theo

Hi All

Re news article, wish they would get things right,

(Cases of the winter vomiting bug norovirus in England and Wales have topped a million, latest figures from the Health Protection Agency suggest.)

The HPA covers England and Wales and not Scotland.

yours Shogun

We were not given free shore excursions in Fort Lauderdale. We had to get off the ship only long enough to go through ICE but had a choice between being off the ship or sequestered in Club Fusion until 1:30pm, which stretched until 2:30pm, when the in transits were the first to reboard. There were approximately 350 in transit passengers. We are still under Code Red.

We were not given free shore excursions in Fort Lauderdale. We had to get off the ship only long enough to go through ICE but had a choice between being off the ship or sequestered in Club Fusion until 1:30pm, which stretched until 2:30pm, when the in transits were the first to reboard. There were approximately 350 in transit passengers. We are still under Code Red.

Questions Please:

Were people sequestered in Club Fusion given any food? Could they order drinks from the bar?

LuLu

~~~~

We were told they were given shore excursions, but I figured it sounded too generous to be true. Hope they end the Code Red soon for you.

Art

When we were on board during a noro alert, they still had the hors d'oeuvres in the Elite Lounge, but they served them instead of our being able to serve ourselves.

We wondered about that, also. On a previous cruise, the hors d'oeuvers were dished up by the chef that was dedicated to the Elite lounge. This time, the chef only made occasional appearances to refresh some of the items, but never served it out. Possibly, they ran short of staff due to the illness.

Art

Hi, Folks,

We were on the Emerald 12/17 - 27. I first suspected Noro when we went to breakfast on the 3rd morning (Dec. 20) and noticed there were no creamer pitchers, salt and pepper, or sweeteners on the table. Soon after came the shipwide announcement about "an increase in gastrointestinal complaints being presented to medical". A couple of days later, I watched two crew members putting on the hazmat suits down the hall from my cabin on the Emerald. Someone mentioned that only a few crewmembers were qualified to use the hazmat suits. A number of the crew were ill also, which made it harder to staff up for it.

Other things noted:

• The Horizon Court immediately switched to passengers being served by staff and silverware and napkins were handed out with the dish instead of being on the tables. Also, drinks were brought to the table - no self-serve. When you got up from the table, it was immediately cleared and wiped with disinfectant.
  • Great dissapointment - the hors d'oeuvres in the Elite Lounge were discontinued. Fewer people showed up after that.
  • Crew were continually wiping down railings with a solution.
  • Tables and seats in lounges were literally sprayed with disinfectant late at night (I was surprised that they sprayed, instead of wiped).
  • Continual admonitions to wash your hands (amazing how many people don't!).
  • Outer doors to rest rooms were blocked open so you wouldn't have to touch the handles after washing (see comment immediately above).

I thought they did a pretty good job. After a few days of this, they announced that the number of cases presented to Medical had dropped and they were easing up on the restrictions; however, most remained in effect until we docked in Ft. Lauderdale. While 1/3 of the passengers (perhaps 1100) were staying on for the New Year's cruise, we were told they would have to get off the ship so it could be completely decontaminated. They were given free shore excursions in Ft. Lauderdale to occupy their time. When leaving the terminal, I saw some people already lining up to board for the next cruise. I'm sure they had a long wait!

Art

Also no hors d'oeuvres delivered to cabin on 2nd formal night or our room steward forgot our card the night before? By the way, did anyone else noticed that now we only get 4 chocolate covered strawberries - didn't it used to be 6?

No Christmas crackers at Christmas dinner (perhaps a cut back?)

No Pub Lunch on the last sea day.

Baskets of rolls were on the table in the dining room as well as salt and papper shakers.

Containers with sugar/sweetener packets were on tables in HC.

Instead of 6 chocolate covered strawberries, you only received 4?

I mean, if that's the case, I would be contacting the FTC and lodging a complaint. That is completely unacceptable, and definitely worth a comment on CC boards.

Has anyone ever looked around them to see the nature and basis for their expectations of "service levels" and thought:

How much did you pay for this cruise?

What kind of absurd expectations of hand-over-foot personal attention to your every whim as if you were the only one onboard?

What kind of lifestyle you live while back at home?

I guess the Noro-spread isn't YOUR fault because you left a cabin with an infected person because, whew, your significant other was STARVING so badly that you fetched a plate-full when the food didn't come upon the tolling of your "service bell"!! There weren't any others in your SAME position, while the ship-servants were doing the best they could to try to reduce the spread amongst 3000+ others who still won't wash their hands after going to the washroom, or still don't think THEY are a potential cause or spreader of this highly-contagious virus...nope, not me...I'm not a factor in the spread-potential...

I must be paying an incredibly reduced amount for my family of 3, in one of those "lower class of people" cabin types (FF - yeah, the poor folk cabins of obstructed view"), and from the "middle class income, still working "stiff" backgrounds that I consider 1 chocolate covered strawberry a "treat".

I must be missing something about cruising. I think I'll go rent Titanic again so I can learn about how cruising is "supposed to be" and what kind of demands I should be having satisfied while I'm onboard...

Sheesh! I'm not a first-time cruiser, I'm not a first-time poster, but I'm also a realist with a reasonable sense of expectations. Good luck in getting 1/100th of the type of service you're gettiing onboard back wherever YOU live...every...single...day...of...the...week!

Ok, I feel much better now. I've vented after reading these shinangans over the last week. Now, just 15 days to go until we get onboard again! Can't wait!

Happy New Year all! :)

Instead of 6 chocolate covered strawberries, you only received 4?

I mean, if that's the case, I would be contacting the FTC and lodging a complaint. That is completely unacceptable, and definitely worth a comment on CC boards.

Has anyone ever looked around them to see the nature and basis for their expectations of "service levels" and thought:

How much did you pay for this cruise?

What kind of absurd expectations of hand-over-foot personal attention to your every whim as if you were the only one onboard?

What kind of lifestyle you live while back at home?

I don't really see your point. I've been on Emerald about

a dozen time. I noticed that for the last few times, the

piece count of the appetizers delivered to the cabin was

cut in half. The first time this happened, I called and spoke

to some room service supervisor. He said that was the

new count, but he sent me a second order (complimentary).

After that, I knew.

I think I paid more-or-less the same price for all the cruises

on Emerald -- with some differences because I was in various

cabin categories. My lifestyle at home? Why would you

need to know this?

If all you want to read is:

"I went on a cruise, everything was fine,

and exactly the same as it has always been"

-- why keep reading?

I didn't read it that way Shogun... it sounds like her DH had it but not her. Hope they "got it" and it doesn't follow them on this cruise.

Hi blazerjan

you are correct for some reason I read her and husband fell ill, when it says

and her husband fell in

yours Shogun

Even if she wasn't sick , it will still travel with her on and solid surface ( IE: shoes or even a purse) . For example she washes her hands in the cabin sink. Good ,now she touches the door handle , was it disinfectant-ed?

If not now she is reinfected by the Noro on the door handle. If she use the elevator , where the buttons disinfected (just before she touched them). If not now is infected .Noro can survive on hard surfaces for almost 6 weeks.

I don't really see your point. I've been on Emerald about

a dozen time. I noticed that for the last few times, the

piece count of the appetizers delivered to the cabin was

cut in half. The first time this happened, I called and spoke

to some room service supervisor. He said that was the

new count, but he sent me a second order (complimentary).

After that, I knew.

I think I paid more-or-less the same price for all the cruises

on Emerald -- with some differences because I was in various

cabin categories. My lifestyle at home? Why would you

need to know this?

If all you want to read is:

"I went on a cruise, everything was fine,

and exactly the same as it has always been"

-- why keep reading?

Sensitive much?

Archived