Lifejackets for Muster Drill

secrui

We were on the Crown in October/November 2012. Like the others take your lifejacket to the muster station. At least at our station on the Crown, there was not seating for everyone. So if you have mobility issues, you may want to go early

For those who have recently been on a PRINCESS cruise; did you have to take the

life jacket(s) in your cabin with you to your assigned muster station during the muster drill?

Thanks!

Look for your muster station posted on the inside of your cabin door. Carry, don't wear your life jacket to the muster station. Your muster station letter is marked on the life jacket. Almost all muster stations are on the promenade deck, in one of the public venues. The staff will advise you when to put it on. Don't trip on the long straps. Leave early before they sound the 7 short and 1 long warning. Use the stairs, avoid the elevators, if you are able. There are plenty of stairwell guides to assist you to your station.

And yes, some other lines don't require you to take your lifejacket to muster. But I think it is prudent to at least try it on in a non-emergency situation to make sure it fits and that it is not damaged. I'd hate to find out that my lifejacket had a problem moments before I had to abandon ship.... :eek:

Hi All

Not sure how often the life jackets are checked, but have noticed

minor damage to life jackets, that has not been reported, missing whistle,

broken clip, when reported wre swapped straight away, so question is

why do fellow passengers not report these issues.

yours Shogun

And yes, some other lines don't require you to take your lifejacket to muster. But I think it is prudent to at least try it on in a non-emergency situation to make sure it fits and that it is not damaged. I'd hate to find out that my lifejacket had a problem moments before I had to abandon ship.... :eek:

You are right on the mark re other lines not requiring lifejacket be taken to muster drill. I know there have been problems, as another poster noted, with straps dragging, especially after muster, tripping people nearby. I read somewhere on the Boards that some lines have gone to putting lifejackets at muster stations, rather than in cabins. The idea is if you're not in your cabin when an emergency occurs, it wastes valuable time and creates traffic jams going to the cabin and then to muster station; better to just go to nearest muster station.

Good info from everyone; we'll be on our first PRINCESS cruise this year; guess we'll have to get back into the old habit of bringing the lifejackets to muster drill.

I read somewhere on the Boards that some lines have gone to putting lifejackets at muster stations, rather than in cabins. The idea is if you're not in your cabin when an emergency occurs, it wastes valuable time and creates traffic jams going to the cabin and then to muster station; better to just go to nearest muster station.

This part of the new international safety standards adopted earlier this year following the Concordia disaster. Princess installed teak lockers on the Prom Deck on all ships to store the extra life vests. You still should bring your life vest from your room to the drill.

Then after muster, you give your dear spouse your jacket to return it to the cabin while you head to your Roll Call's sail away party to order the bottle of champagne :p:D

Have you been in contact with my wife? That's EXACTLY what she does.:D

Seriously, we've been on six Princess cruises and always brought the Lifejacket. I kind of prefer it that way. We've done one Carnival cruise and that muster drill was without the jacket and outside, right in the direct sun. I felt crowded in, couldn't see for the sun in my eyes and didn't feel I got all the important info the the drill is for.

Don't know if it was just a temporary aberration, but we were NOT required to take our LJ's to muster on the Pacific Princess in October 2012. The previous 40, or so, cruises we've always taken our LJ's.

We were, on the Pacific Princess, both in June and November. Although in November, they played the tape for the Ocean Princess, leading to jokes we would have to do it again the next day. but would be exempt next time on the Ocean.

On the Emerald Dec. 17-27 we had to bring them to the muster drill. And, yes, there are extra lifejackets in teak lockers on the Promenade.

Incidently, at the drill, the Captain made an announcement, basically, that parents are to maintain control over their children and that the parents WILL be held accountable for their children's actions. First time I've ever heard that on a cruise ship. The announcement received applause from many of the passengers.

Art

This part of the new international safety standards adopted earlier this year following the Concordia disaster. Princess installed teak lockers on the Prom Deck on all ships to store the extra life vests. You still should bring your life vest from your room to the drill.
for every Princess ship we've been on (see list below) since starting cruising in 1996 there have been extra life vests located on the Promenade Deck in lockers. Princess and all Carnival Corporation cruise lines performed a thorough review of policies and procedures following the Concordia disaster, and made enhancements where needed. It is interesting to note that, after review, Princess Cruises maintained the policy of bringing life vests to Muster and demonstrating passenger familiarity with the equipment.

Interesting. I could swear I've seen the teak lockers on Promenade deck for years.

for every Princess ship we've been on (see list below) since starting cruising in 1996 there have been extra life vests located on the Promenade Deck in lockers.

Interesting. I could swear I've seen the teak lockers on Promenade deck for years.

We've seen them for as long as I can remember on Promenade deck & they've always said if it wasn't easy to get lifevests from our cabins that one would be provided so maybe Princess has always been ahead of the new requirements.

Concerning muster drill for those on a b2b on our recent cruise on the Crown the Patter said "ALL PASSENGERS" but the announcement for the drill said Venice "embarking passengers" only. Since we were in the same cabin we didn't attend the drill & were not required to attend the makeup drill.

Hi All

Princess like all cruise ships have carried more life jackets than passengers for many years, all that happened was the cruise industry bodies agreed to up this % as one of its measures after the Costa sinking.

Go back and watch the Love Boat you will see lockers with life jackets.

yours Shogun

We've seen them for as long as I can remember on Promenade deck & they've always said if it wasn't easy to get lifevests from our cabins that one would be provided so maybe Princess has always been ahead of the new requirements.

Concerning muster drill for those on a b2b on our recent cruise on the Crown the Patter said "ALL PASSENGERS" but the announcement for the drill said Venice "embarking passengers" only. Since we were in the same cabin we didn't attend the drill & were not required to attend the makeup drill.

Yes, Princess seems a little bit loose with the information here. The letter you get a few nights before the end of the first cruise explains that you don't have to go, but the Patter says ALL PASSENGERS. I put a "do not disturb" tab in my cabin lock, did not double lock the door, and sat on the balcony with my letter near at hand. I had no problem.

Some cruise lines don't require life jackets at the muster drill.

In response to the comments about danger of the life jacket not fitting properly, DW and I always check the jacket in our cabin and adjust the straps to fit us. That eliminates any possibility of an ill fitting jacket in case of emergency.

I believe it is better to have the muster drill without the jackets due to dragging straps and the possibility of tripping, etc.

Archived