Is Oceania Luxury?

stephlovesdogs

I tend to agree -- which is why I love those R ships -- but if the poster to whom you responded is a frequent Azamara cruiser that might explain his perception of the service. As described by O cruiser Cinti Pam on another thread who just returned from her first Azamara cruise, the officers and crew are far more "involved" with passengers on Azamara than on O. That seems to be a common standout area for those praising Azamara and the reason Azamara cruisers give A higher marks.

We have seen the Captain & other officers having lunch in Waves or the Terrace or passing in the halls & they have always spoken to us if it is just to say hello

They have a Job to do & I am sure if they stopped to have a conversation with everyone they meet in a day it would be time consuming

I for one do not care if the officers mingle with the guests or not but that is just me:rolleyes:

On one cruise the entertainment staff must have had orders to go mingle with the guests ..one of the dancers tried to engage in some conversation but clearly was not interested in the answers from me to her questions & wanted to be someplace else

I would rather they had a conversation with me because they found me charming ;)

NOT because it is something they are forced to do

Lyn

The ship size is only part of it. Most people have places that they habitually visit so getting to know passengers by staff may not be as daunting as it seems. The nice thing about the set tables assignments of years gone by was having the same wait staff every night. Even on a very large ship, there was personal service.

It is true that some people welcome interaction, while others are more private. It doesnt take enormously sophisticated social skills to differentiate between the two. Good service can be quiet, attentive and unobtrusive. Not everyone is in the mood to chat it up. Personally, some days I do and others i just like to be left alone to read, etc.

My post has nothing to do with formality, smoking, stuffiness or officers. First of all some of the posters have a skewed vision of so called luxury lines, as the passenger mix on this cruise looks much like Crystal, albeit a little younger, with more 60 to 70 than 70 to 85. During the day people dress on Crystal exactly as they do on O. Yes, we love the restricted smoking policy on O and we like the informal dress at night, but as many of you know, Crystal has moved strongly in the same direction as of this week. We do like a little more entertainment at night, which Crystal provides in the Avenue Saloon, a lively piano bar where the singers are fun and the crowd really gets into it.

Now, back to service, the topic that I actually commented on. On Crystal there is a group of amazing Filipino guys who work the Pool and Buffet deck who are simply amazing. They are sweet, jolly, friendly, and outgoing and remember the names of even new passengers. Here, no one even asks where you are from. Of course, after 10 cruises many know me and even remember our friends who are not on the cruise. These guys are amazing, intuitive and anticipate your needs and memorize your preferences. Are we too lazy to get up and get our own towel? No, but it is nice to have crew aware of what is going on and to bring you one.

I am not putting down Oceania, and we don't like Crystal's change to all inclusive. So far we love the food and the specialty restaurants and much more. I am just telling it like it as regarding top notch versus okay service. We also like the open seating at dinner, but fixed seating does allow the dining room team to learn your preferences and to interact more, and some of the head waiters are amazing too. The Crystal ships are a little smaller...970 and 1080 more or less, but not much smaller.

It is the difference between good service and great service.

Here, no one even asks where you are from.

sorry but why would they??? Most are intuitive to know you are American

We also like the open seating at dinner, but fixed seating does allow the dining room team to learn your preferences and to interact more, and some of the head waiters are amazing too.

If you want the same waitstaff so they will get to know you & your preference just ask to sit in their section each night

The Maitre'd will do his best to accommodate you

American? There's 50 states in there! Might be interesting to know which state someone is from. South Americans are Americans too BTW.

I must say that I am a fan of fixed seating. We are sailing on Celebrity in a week and although Celebrity offers open seating like O, we always opt for the fixed late seating -- we love having the same wait staff -- they get to know us and we get to know them. Also, because it is typical with fixed seating for servers and bus boys to get extra tips for TERRIFIC service at the end of the cruise, I think service is way better with fixed seating. I cannot honestly say that any server I have had on O is memorable. Service in the GDR has never been memorable IMO (the staff always seems to have too many tables and there is often a lack of coordination between servers and bus boys) which is why we try to avoid it. On Celebrity I have had some incredible waiters.

And because the two seatings are geared to making the shows (which are outstanding) fixed dining ensures we never miss a show.

I prefer O in general -- but I really see the benefits of fixed seating

You seriously never miss a show on Oceania???? You must bring ear plugs.

I miss EVERY show on Oceania -- or try to

I never miss a show on Celebrity -- I thought the post was clear (guess it wasn't LOL) -- they coordinate fixed seatings with shows

When you really think about it, one man's luxury may not be luxury for the next guy or gal. Depends on the perspective and life experience you bring to the table.

I know people who stay at a Marriott and think it's luxury. Nice hotels -- but not luxury IMO. For others nothing less than the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton are luxury. For others, it has to be a unique hotel that is not part of a "chain" to be "luxury." I have friends who would never consider any cruise line to be "luxury." For those folks, it's a private yacht with a personal chef and an itinerary of their own design and nothing less.

Might be akin to food -- subjective.

What has a waiter or steward asking "where you are from" to do with "Luxury"?? Personally I do not care to have staff ask where I am from - even less do I care to have staff "assume" I am American when I am not!! But I suppose they can tell from my accent that I am not... It is nice when a waiter who serves one often addresses one by name but this is not at all necessary nor expected (and I would faint if they called me by my first name anyway!!) To me the luxury comes in the attentiveness of the service and not in how I am called.

In all our cruises on Regent very very few waiters called us by name. Stewardess and Butler - of course. But aside from the CD and Social Hostess, no one else. And I really would prefer to keep it that way.

Danny, you have just convinced me that a luxury line is not for me. I would feel that your kind of service is intrusive. By the way, I know which waiter goes home at the end of January and where his home is. If you initiate, they all interact but they do not impose it on you.

What has a waiter or steward asking "where you are from" to do with "Luxury"?? Personally I do not care to have staff ask where I am from - even less do I care to have staff "assume" I am American when I am not!! But I suppose they can tell from my accent that I am not... It is nice when a waiter who serves one often addresses one by name but this is not at all necessary nor expected (and I would faint if they called me by my first name anyway!!) To me the luxury comes in the attentiveness of the service and not in how I am called.

I agree with you

There are a few members of staff that know my name & only because I told them

They address me as MS Lynda, which is fine but not intrusive

some staff you get more friendly with but that is your personal choice

As for my preferences I could change what I like to drink/eat daily so no point in them remembering what I like ;)

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

When you really think about it, one man's luxury may not be luxury for the next guy or gal. Depends on the perspective and life experience you bring to the table.

I know people who stay at a Marriott and think it's luxury. Nice hotels -- but not luxury IMO. For others nothing less than the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton are luxury. For others, it has to be a unique hotel that is not part of a "chain" to be "luxury." I have friends who would never consider any cruise line to be "luxury." For those folks, it's a private yacht with a personal chef and an itinerary of their own design and nothing less.

Might be akin to food -- subjective.

200% true... Food, Luxury, Where you live, what you drive, Eat,drink,dress total subjective. Too its how you see yourself..your perspective on you.

Me, Crystal is well lke a verson of upstairs down stairs a contrived world out side of the real world. I dont want to be buddies with my waiter or with my steward, all I want is peace and quiet ant a time to relax not get fawned over ilke a peacock. Too, sitting with a fix seating is a crap shoot you can get lucky but you can get seated with personalities than could try JESUS'.

Me, I have can be Happy equaly whether sitting in a Michelin 3 star with a 61 St Ermilion, or under a freeway overpass eating a warm chili dog, with a flat BUDWISER; in the rain...

It is all relative.:cool:

In all our cruises on Regent very very few waiters called us by name. Stewardess and Butler - of course. But aside from the CD and Social Hostess, no one else. And I really would prefer to keep it that way.

Well said. I fully agree with you.

If ever a subject is going to elicit a variety of responses, this is it!

Danny, I know just what you mean but it is so difficult to accurately describe the differences you allude to without seeming to imply something different.

Our view is that Crystal is the most luxurious followed by Silverseas then Oceania. Regent would come last in that list. However that doesn't mean that it is our order of preference because there are other intangible factors of the sort Danny and others have referred to. Factoring the intangibles in the order would be Silverseas top followed closely by Oceania, then Regent then Crystal.

Here's my very brief attempt at describing why the order changes:

~ Crystal lose out for us on the 'stuffy' nature of many of the passengers (Danny, you and your friends were a big exception!)

~ Regent win on the basis of their very relaxed and friendly passenger type

~ Sliverseas get top spot because there is no minus score - everything is excellent

~ Oceania can't quite match SS on service or space ratios. J&S are quite right about how you can improve that aspect but it does not solve the busier pool / grill / bar spaces.

Back to the original question then - if it was our honeymoon we would opt for a 'standard' room on Silverseas. Then when the weight of mortgage payments etc. took full hold we would happily move to / mix it up with regular Oceania cruises.

(we have a SS and Oceania bookings in place - just to prove we do practice what we preach!)

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, at least I know that you "get" what I am trying to say. We are enjoying our cruise and have no complaints.

When one criticizes anything on a ship's board, the attack of the loyalists naturally follows.

I want to add that Nolen Dean, the cruise director is the best I have yet encountered at sea!

I am not sure that the old rules apply to luxury anymore and in some ways it is Oceania that mixed it all up with the addition of its widely acclaimed new ships in a market that has seen relatively few new ships in recent years. I have observed that this has resulted in a drift from the former clear luxury lines to Oceania and on O I think that the new ships are luxury while the smaller two are probably still in the premium bracket. For me I think that is most driven by the limitations of the smaller ships and the facilities available and the fact that it does seem the most trained and experienced staff are on the larger ships providing a higher level of service.

The shift to an elegant casual dress code has been dramatic in this market and O has been a big player in this shift. the upmarket lines all offer a slightly different package and the choice driver now seems to be what works best for you rather than an overall brand of luxury. Where once there were five luxury lines I suspect that isnt so anymore and new entrants like O have changed the landscape.

The issues of service and food are critical but the distinctions on these issues between the lines seem small and often driven by personal taste. Really these shouljd be a given in this market.

The distinguishing issues seem to be:

Formal v Casual dining

Set dining v Open

All inc. as well as excursions v all inc w alcohol v all inc but Alcohol

Stateroom and suite options

Dining options and specialty restaurants

Small v Medium ships (200 pax v 700 pax v 1100 pax)

smoking policies (although this one could be gone soon)

enrichment program options

Preferred age demographic (although most upmarket lines don't start much below 50)

Weigh each of those and you will likely find one of the upmarket lines that is right for you.

I am not sure that the old rules apply to luxury anymore and in some ways it is Oceania that mixed it all up with the addition of its widely acclaimed new ships in a market that has seen relatively few new ships in recent years. I have observed that this has resulted in a drift from the former clear luxury lines to Oceania and on O I think that the new ships are luxury while the smaller two are probably still in the premium bracket. For me I think that is most driven by the limitations of the smaller ships and the facilities available and the fact that it does seem the most trained and experienced staff are on the larger ships providing a higher level of service.

Very well said

Times are changing that is for sure

Lyn

My wife and I just took our first O cruise and loved it, of course. But I must agree with the crapshoot theory of sharing tables. We shared every night and were fairly delighted with our dinner companions every meal--except once. It made me wonder if I would still have the same high regard for O had we been seated with the same couple for the entire cruise...

I also want to cast my lot with those who want the service to be proper without being personal. I'm very happy if the staff will remember me and treat me professionally. We don't have to become buddies and exchange vacation photos together--theirs are likely to be far more interesting than mine anyway.

To the OP

For true luxury, considering chartering a small yacht -- seriously -- I have done it and depending on the boat you pick and level of cuisine is can been quite affordable.

Luxury is not sailing with 750 or 1000 others -- IMO -- no matter what line you choose.

And for a honeymoon - wow -- I can think of nothing better.

Based on our experience I would disagree with this 99% - especially if you enjoy the company of others. On a small yacht you will have:

a) cramped accommodation - compared to an Oceania ship

b) no dining options - ditto

c) few, if any, travelling companions - a major benefit of Oceania, where many tend to be well-travelled, intelligent/articulate, often high net worth individuals

But luxury all depends on your definition. Encarta says: "pleasurable self-indulgent activity..", which in 3 words pretty much defines why we like to travel with Oceania. However it adds: "...especially one only rarely indulged in" - which I am not sure I can agree with. On that basis our 11 Oceania cruises across 5 continents since 2008 can hardly be called 'rare'.

However we are also cheapskates and travel in lower spec (yet still very comfortable) cabins. If we were to dig deeper and go for a suite then these look exceptional, but since we spend very little time in our cabin we feel the extra is better spent on more cruises.

If food is important to you, the Oceania is hard to beat. If you've got the money (and elasticated waistbands) then book into La Reserve. The charge is crazy but the food is divine.

My wife and I just took our first O cruise and loved it, of course. But I must agree with the crapshoot theory of sharing tables. We shared every night and were fairly delighted with our dinner companions every meal--except once. It made me wonder if I would still have the same high regard for O had we been seated with the same couple for the entire cruise...

Isn't that exactly WHY we prefer open seating? I have to say that I cannot remember having disappointing dinner companions on Oceania, although we sure did on a few other lines. But after all, you don't have to ask to share. And I consider it worth the risk, which is why we prefer to share.

I won't deny that all dinner companions are not equal, and we have preferred some people to others, but we have never had a miserable meal either. (Of course, I have no idea what our dinner companions thought of US either!)

Mura

Archived