Say it isn't so! Art auctions back on Oceania?

pacheco18

I have been on a number of cruises with art auctions, but I don't remember ever being FORCED to attend one.

It is like when they feed you too much ;)

I hate that force feeding on a cruise :D

Google Park West Galleries, read about the law suits and then tell me any intelligent person would buy even a poster from them. Why did RCCL kick them off their ships 2 years ago? My opinion of O just went down a notch.

My understanding that Park West won the law suit. They were not the ones with the fake Dalis. Their representative said the the feds had a DAli expert go over all of their Dalis and authenticated them. Supposedly the problem was Dali's widow and her accomplice.

I belive this to be true as I do not think that Oceania or Regent would allow them to come back if they had truly committed fraud.

Whether one thinks that the Art Auctions should be on board is another matter entirely.

I don't care one way or the other!

One cruise we were on (not Oceania) they had prints/paintings etc..set up in one of the areas ..they had it like a silent auction so you could just place your bid & cabin number on the sheet if you wanted the item

they would run for 2 or 3 days then set up another group of artworks

You did not need to go near the area if you were not interested

I disliked the constant announcements on Oceania about the auction times & place ...one guy was so annoying it seemed every hour prior to the auction he would remind people over the PA

Putting it in the Currents the night before is enough & if people want to go then fine ..if not do not want to hear about it

Please do not bring back the photographers either :eek:

Lyn

On the Riviera now, and really dislike the cheesy fakeness of most of the "art", yesterday morning, it was clogging up the starboard side of the entrance inside the Horizons lounge right next to the lovely early morning coffee area. I really miss seeing some of the original pictures which were hung on some of the walls when we were last on Riviera in August. Anyhow, one good bit of news is that the string quartet is now at long last excellent, two male additions, one cellist and a violonist, and it is now a real pleasure to listen to them. I can endure the art auction nonsense as long as the music is good.

Art is subjective. Buy it because you like it, or maybe because you want it as a memory of your cruise. If you don't like the auctions, don't go. Personally, on our last Oceania cruise, I would have liked to see the charted map of our cruise auctioned.

I have been on a number of cruises with art auctions, but I don't remember ever being FORCED to attend one.

It's not clear to me why art auctions are so offensive. My wife and I have bought art on a couple of cruises and are/were satisfied that we got a good deal. That's the definition of fair market value.

At the end of the day, we bought stuff that we liked, looks good in our house, and that we enjoy. Beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder and it is absolutely nobody's business but ours.

Ultimately, if the art auction is so terribly offensive to other passengers, don't go. As digby said, nobody is forced to attend. Live and let live and go find something that you enjoy doing.

Personally, we don't care. We were never impacted by the auctions other than perhaps tripping over paintings in the hallway.

So I don't mind the auctions returning, and should I decide I want to get something (highly unlikely) it is easy to do.

Just keep those pesky photographers away.

When we were sailing out of NYC on the NCL GEM three years ago on a TA to Venice the photographer was dressed up as Uncle Sam. He posed with us for a photo and I commented that we don't "do" photos and wouldn't buy one (trying to sound jocular and not nasty) and he just said, "It's a job."

With that I could not disagree. I did have the feeling he disliked the job as much as we did, however!

Mura

The problem with art auctions is that the clutter the lounges and public spaces with their art and obscure the beauty of the ship.

Would you like a store in your "home"?

And then there was Tiny Tim.........

My wife and I go on vacation to get away from it all. If having to walk past some "art" (quotations for those who think it really isn't) is the biggest issue we have on vacation, we're having a very good time. Others might want to consider that outlook. Just sayin'....

Currently on Regatta and can confirm that the art auctions are back.

Even worse than that is the fact that a huge poster informs me that the Mona Lisa has been sold already.

That's the one I wanted - how disappointing :D

OH so sorry to hear you missed out on the painting

Hopefully they will "FIND" another one before the end of the cruise :D

Enjoy & HI to Marsha

Lyn

Paul,

I'm sure the reason you didn't get Mona was because recently her digital image was sent into space by NASA to one of the satellites orbiting the moon....talk about a cosmic journey!

I'm sure she was borrowed from the auction so that her image could be captured and she'll soon return to sailing the high seas where you'll have an opportunity to successfully bid on her.

Currently on Regatta and can confirm that the art auctions are back.

Even worse than that is the fact that a huge poster informs me that the Mona Lisa has been sold already.

That's the one I wanted - how disappointing :D

Is the Last Supper still available?

Yeah...picture hanging it up over the fireplace at home and telling your guests..."Yeah, it's by some Italian guy, Lenny Something...I bought it on my Mediterranean cruise last year...."

Yeah...picture hanging it up over the fireplace at home and telling your guests..."Yeah, it's by some Italian guy, Lenny Something...I bought it on my Mediterranean cruise last year...."

Not sure -- they may have run out of velvet.

Steve,

I don't know about that one as I (obviously) didn't go to the auction. :)

But if you want me to I will ask if they stil have it.

How do you want it shipped (in one piece or segments)? What's your upper limit on the bid - about $500? :D

Archived