7 day niew amsterdam or 10 day noordam

baby

other than the obvious of being a longer cruise

what would be the benefits of the noordam vs niew amsterdam

is one ship nicer than the other, is the entertainment better on one than the other

is the food better one than the other

help me choose

thank you

carol

We too have sailed both ships. They are relatively similar, but not identical. Besides Tamarind, N. Amsterdam has cabanas on board, Noordam does not. N. Amsterdam is the newest ship in the HAL fleet.

Food and entertainment are so subjective. Typhoon1 could say the food was better on one ship, and I could totally disagree.

Would happily go on either, in a heart beat. Noordam is frequently mentioned as being the best HAL ship in terms of crew dynamic or chemistry which is very important, and, of our 7 HAL cruises (all on different ships), we definitely agree.

the itinerary on the 10 day is more appealing

like I said, since I have never been on HA just trying to pick the ship that we will like the most

of course I like 10 days better than 7 but then again the Noordam is older - that is the reason for the questions

thanks for your help

The Tamerand would not interest us

we do like dancing to fairly modern music and like to do excursions at the portions

of course I like 10 days better than 7 but then again the Noordam is older - that is the reason for the questions

The Noordam is "older" in the same way a 2nd grader is older than a toddler.

Neither one could be considered "old".

More days on a ship = me being happier. :-)

I'd go with the longer cruise - unless the shorter cruise has an itinerary you prefer.

I've been on the NA and she is lovely - however I didn't use a cabana, or the tamarind - so I don't know that I would have felt the Noordam to be any less beautiful.

the best argument for a 10 day cruise is the knowledge that on day 7, instead of going home, you have 3 more days to enjoy yourself. A no-brainer for me. Go w/ the 10 day. We've been on 6 HAL ships over 9 cruises and have enjoyed every one of them. Haven't been on any of the relatively small ones, like Statendam or Ryndam, but the others have far more in common with each other than differences.

We were just on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the 2nd time, a couple of weeks ago and had a great trip. Have NOT been on the Noordam, but have been on the Westerdam, which is a sister ship, twice and had great trips. Hard to go wrong on any HAL ship, so go for the 10!

We sailed the Noordam 10 days and recommend this. We love the Tamarind but that would not be a deciding factor. You go farther south on Noordam and get away from all the ship/port traffic. We loved Curacao and always find things to do in Barbados if these are in your itinerary.

Nothing wrong with N. Amsterdam We enjoyed her also with her New York theme.

I also would go with the 10 Day Noordam. I think we've been on the Noordam 3 times and at the end of the month will be our 4th on her. We also did a 7 day on the NA in 2010. The NA is great if you are limited to the 7 day itinerary but the Noordam really is a wonderful ship with a great crew.

We took a couple of friends with us last year on a 10 day on the Noordam. They had never cruised before. Before we were 3 days in, they were already asking when we were going to book again. The Noordam and the great service won them over. Both choices are good - you won't be disappointed either way!

thanks everyone for your responses

i will have to think about this one

I like the time of year better on the NA which is Oct 27 the Noordam is Dec 6 to Dec 16 which gets close to x-mas

oh the hard choices

thanks for your help

i will let you know

Archived