Independence... We're Here!!

I am not surprised to read that there were unhappy crew when the ship was sailing out of Southampton, and I am not surprised that it took a while for them to adjust to cruising out of the U.S. But I am equally not surprised to read that the transition has been made and there are now smiling faces and an air of happiness on board the Independence.

BTW, for anyone who has not been to Grand Cayman:

It is a British territory, and is known for its "off-shore banking" industry, its primary economic driver, followed by tourism.

There are just under 600 banks and trust companies in the Grand Cayman, including 43 of the 50 largest banks in the world. Because of this large financial presence on the island, Grand Cayman is known as the money laundering capital of the world, banking, investments, and insurance drive the economy in Grand Cayman.

Because of this situation, this is where wealthy people "park" their money to avoid scrutiny and taxation "at home", wherever home is. Many also have homes on the island. (I guess so that they can visit their money. ;))

My point is: this is NOT the port stop for "good deals" or "bargains" in shopping.

Enjoy the natural beauty, the snorkeling, the diving, the beaches, the rays, the reef, the beach, Hell. Just don't go expecting good tourist shopping. It's a great place to relax and SKIP the shopping.

:)

Hi. Just wondered why you say you we're not surprised the crew were unhappy sailing from Southamton??

We have had nothing short of wonderful cruises and crew (happy ones) from Southhampton:confused: for what reason should the crew be unhappy because they are sailing for the UK??

Hi. Just wondered why you say you we're not surprised the crew were unhappy sailing from Southamton??

We have had nothing short of wonderful cruises and crew (happy ones) from Southhampton:confused: for what reason should the crew be unhappy because they are sailing for the UK??

Ask the crew.

I was on one of the last few sailings on Indy before the move from the Caribbean over to the UK and I know that plenty of the crew were unhappy about the move.

They're not making anywhere NEAR the money they make over here in the US. It's a fact. I wouldn't want to work for those types of wages, I'll tell you that. Neither do they.

Thanks for all the information about the Indy....glad to see that things are not as bad as we have been hearing. Most of it is what you make of it, and I have never had a bad cruise yet!

We are looking forward to boarding this Saturday and getting away from it all for 8 nights. Also happy to meet new friends through cruise critic and plan to join in the group events our roll call has planned.

Safe travels to all heading on their winter cruises!

Donna

Thanks for all the information about the Indy....glad to see that things are not as bad as we have been hearing. Most of it is what you make of it, and I have never had a bad cruise yet!

We are looking forward to boarding this Saturday and getting away from it all for 8 nights. Also happy to meet new friends through cruise critic and plan to join in the group events our roll call has planned.

Safe travels to all heading on their winter cruises!

Donna

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks for posting this great review. I wish I had found the thread earlier while you were still on the ship. oh well....

In GC, was Rum Point really busy when the excursion took you there? Our family of 7 is thinking of spending the whole day there as opposed to an organized excursion such as Captain Marv or Nativeway, as we have a toddler and DIL who would not enjoy the boat/snorkeling/etc part of the day.

Also - this may seem like a dumb question , but I've never been on a freedom class ship. Are there hairdryers in the rooms?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this great review. I wish I had found the thread earlier while you were still on the ship. oh well....

In GC, was Rum Point really busy when the excursion took you there? Our family of 7 is thinking of spending the whole day there as opposed to an organized excursion such as Captain Marv or Nativeway, as we have a toddler and DIL who would not enjoy the boat/snorkeling/etc part of the day.

Also - this may seem like a dumb question , but I've never been on a freedom class ship. Are there hairdryers in the rooms?

Thanks!

Yes, there are hairdryers in the staterooms. They are the type that has a button that needs to be constantly depressed to operate. Also, some people have posted that they think the hairdryers are less powerful than they prefer, so they bring their own.

Glad to see others experiencing as great a time as we had on Indy 12/16. I was so surprised at the negative reviews and simply didn't get it. Anyway, I posted alot of comments when we got back, also a link to the cruise compasses I uploaded. If any of you are interested, here's a link to the compasses:

http://s1287.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ogletree01/library/IOS%20Daily%20Compasses%206%20Day%20Western%20Caribbean%20Cruise

Also, here's a link to some pictures we took while on the ship:

http://s1287.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ogletree01/library/IOS%20Pics

I am still suffering from post cruise depression :( and looking everyday for a "deal" so I can get my fix!!! :D

We are sailing her on Jan 28th. Been seeing that RCCL is debuting new menu selections, hope this is so; as the old selections were getting pretty repetitive after a few sailings. We have sailed both the Freedom and Liberty and have no reason to doubt that Independence will not be just as nice. Still cannot figure out why you can't book entertainment on her before sailing though, as you can do it on both sister ships.

You will enjoy, unless you are a perpetual complainer. No, everything will not be exactly perfect, but there are enough dining, entertainment, and varieties of ship spaces to offer something for all but the most dedicated complainer.:rolleyes:

Alhay, you might want to double check your date cause we're on the same cruise except that we're leaving on the 27th. :D

Skip

Thanks!

Hi Birdnutty,

Yes the day we were there this year it was very busy. We were there plus 3 other tour boats from other companies, plus you have the hotel guests. The other times we've been there tho its hasnt been busy at all so its probably hit or miss. Having 18,000 pax from cruise ships didnt help either:eek:

Archived