Fitness class options

We are sailing on the Allure, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what fitness class options there are? I know they offer yoga and Pilates. What about something more aerobic, like Zumba? Which classes have fees and which are free?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated so I can know what it pack! Thanks!!

We are sailing on the Allure, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what fitness class options there are? I know they offer yoga and Pilates. What about something more aerobic, like Zumba? Which classes have fees and which are free?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated so I can know what it pack! Thanks!!

Any class that sounds really good has a charge.

Yoga, pilates, zumba, boot camp.

The equipment is really good, and the center stays open until 1 a.m.

No views though - if you are used to other RC ships, with great forward-looking views, forget it on the Oasis/Allure.

Absolutely :mad: It's one of my only gripes whenever I fill in my comment card at the end. My sister sails on Cunard and they have a wide range of free classes, usually the only free classes on RC are stretch or abs - and then at some ungodly hour of the morning.:rolleyes:

They do have some bootcamp like classes. Spinning. Everything just about costs extra.

The Fitness center on Oasis and Allure suck big time!!!! I hated the location and how small and dark it is compared to the Freedom class....which is awesome! My main reason for picking the Freedom for my next cruise. Although, I do like the track on the Oasis class....this is a plus.

I really hope they change this when they build a new ship.

Absolutely :mad: It's one of my only gripes whenever I fill in my comment card at the end. My sister sails on Cunard and they have a wide range of free classes, usually the only free classes on RC are stretch or abs - and then at some ungodly hour of the morning.:rolleyes:

And how much more do they pay to cruise cunard?

we do spinning, and generally there are 8-12 total that are spinning. Which is a very, very small population of the cruise ship. I bet people who want to eat instead of work out don't want to pay for the training they don't use.

They do have some bootcamp like classes. Spinning. Everything just about costs extra.

The Fitness center on Oasis and Allure suck big time!!!! I hated the location and how small and dark it is compared to the Freedom class....which is awesome! My main reason for picking the Freedom for my next cruise. Although, I do like the track on the Oasis class....this is a plus.

I really hope they change this when they build a new ship.

I have to disagree. The fitness center is pretty large for a ship (it's big! and it is clean!) and there are plenty of machines of all sorts AND some of the treadmills DO LOOK out over the water.

The running track is the Bomb!

If I recall correctly (no guarantee of that) I believer it is usually $15/class. Maybe $10 though

Thanks! That's what I figured, but I really didn't want to drag myself out of bed for 7am yoga only to find out it's ridiculously priced- and then have to decide whether to stick it out and pay a lot or walk away!

I don't know how prevalent it is across the fleet, but there was a great sounding class on Jewel that turned out to be a sales pitch for a questionable product. Its the only thing RC has ever done to anger me.

And how much more do they pay to cruise cunard?

You would probably be very surprised to hear what great deals Cunard are doing - for a recent 21 days cruise they paid a LOT less than a Celebrity or RC cruise. It's not my cruiseline of choice but they seem to have much better fitness options (as well as very good food and activities) - so if I could get a good deal I would certainly be interested in trying it.

And my belief still stands that RC (and Celebrity) could offer more free classes - and cut the 'seminars' which are just a way of getting you to buy detox/colon-cleansing products - presumably the sort of product to which Bill-Oh is referring to above.

I don't know how prevalent it is across the fleet, but there was a great sounding class on Jewel that turned out to be a sales pitch for a questionable product. Its the only thing RC has ever done to anger me.

This type of "class" has been on every ship we've been on. It's usually billed as some sort of seminar in the Compass. I don't really care if they have the class, that's their business. However, I think they should put a symbol next to the entry on the Compass (like they have $ for extra cost) that clearly identifies the seminar as being an infomercial. I think it wastes people's time and causes them to potentially miss other activities otherwise.

I was surprised there is no aqua aerobics sessions.:(

Actually now you mention it, we did have a couple of aqua aerobics sessions on the Grandeur last summer - but they were run by the activities staff and not gym staff.

We also only once had extra (free) step classes on Explorer a few years ago, but these were run by the gym staff because they wanted to do them - not because they were in the RC schedule.

Occasionally you will see free Zumba classes (Anna Bass used to run them when she was CD).

I think it all depends if you get lucky and get a proactive gym/activities team, but mainly it's the standard RC schedule.

... I bet people who want to eat instead of work out don't want to pay for the training they don't use.

That doesn't make sense.

How about 100 people already ran 7 miles before you even got up and dressed for the spinning class.

I've been exercising religiously for the past 25 years--so have millions of people. I've never taken a spinning class....not interested. I prefer running.

:/

I have to disagree. The fitness center is pretty large for a ship (it's big! and it is clean!) and there are plenty of machines of all sorts AND some of the treadmills DO LOOK out over the water.

The running track is the Bomb!

Oh, c'mon. There are tiny little windows and you can barely see water.

On other ships, there is an entire floor to ceiling wall of glass!

That doesn't make sense.

How about 100 people already ran 7 miles before you even got up and dressed for the spinning class.

I've been exercising religiously for the past 25 years--so have millions of people. I've never taken a spinning class....not interested. I prefer running.

:/

ok- how about "the 3-6k other passnegers who don't like spinning" don't want to pay for it? :rolleyes:

100 people running... LOL... I've been running for 4 years now- and pay attention to who is. Not that many. And I know the number of people who run in the ports can be counted on one persons hands.

anyway, WE are ok with paying for it. I would much rather run outside than a treadmill, so spinning is a good alternative for US. YMMV.

Thanks! That's what I figured, but I really didn't want to drag myself out of bed for 7am yoga only to find out it's ridiculously priced- and then have to decide whether to stick it out and pay a lot or walk away!

You should be able to stop by the fitness center on day 1 and get a schedule of classes so you'll know when they're offering what and what the prices are. As with most activities, the schedule is subject to change, but should give you an approximate idea.

This type of "class" has been on every ship we've been on. It's usually billed as some sort of seminar in the Compass. I don't really care if they have the class, that's their business. However, I think they should put a symbol next to the entry on the Compass (like they have $ for extra cost) that clearly identifies the seminar as being an infomercial. I think it wastes people's time and causes them to potentially miss other activities otherwise.

That's exactly why I was angry, but I guess if they didn't deceive us nobody would go and If they anger 20 people, but make one sale, it might be worth it to them. I would never go to one of the art auctions, but I don't criticize it and they don't try to hide what it is.

Archived