Endangered Species Sighted On Prinsendam

Pettifogger

Recently I climbed one of the forward ladders (stairs to landlubbers) from deck seven to deck eight on the Prinsendam. What should surprise my eyes but someone sitting at the GRM desk. She had a HAL uniform on and, besides, her posture was too good to be a tired guest who had stopped at the GRM desk to rest.

I summoned up a non-essential question I wouldn't risk asking at the front desk and received not only an answer, but a lightning-like smile, brilliant but brief.

Have there been any other recent sightings of an occupied GRM desk or is this one of the last?

Used to be that the GRM had office hours and would actually sit out by the Front Desk (S and R class anyways) waiting for business. Usually delightful ladies who seemed interested in the pax, their questions and concerns.

Have seen only a couple of notices of office hours in the past two years, but they aren't sitting at their desk. I expect you can make an appointment during those hours to meet with them. Generally now you wouldn't know there was a GRM if you didn't go back a while with HAL.

I appreciated the way HAL used to do this. It was graciously and sincerely done.

We see the Guest RElations Managers out and about on every cruise. They are accessible and available IMO and truly most we know we think very, very highly of. They have a rough job IMO

Can you just imagine what a 'typical' day might be like for them? :eek:

Their days are very long and some of their guests very difficult to deal with.

I wouldn't want their job for anything!!!

I truly believe they work hard to make things as right as they can when something goes wrong.

Sorry not all agree and that is fine but my opinion is based on lots of years of knowing lots of very hard working, patient, competent, eager to please GRM's.

Ryndam had someone at the desk for a few hours each day last week. Came close to having to stop and chat but our issue was resolved before that became necessary. I did say hi the day he wasn't occupied when I passed.

I never actually sighted one on our Zuiderdam cruise, but I know they exist because we got little notes with a bottle wine or strawberries from one every time our toilet backed up.:D I would phone and leave a voice message.... he/she would phone and leave me one (obviously they knew when we were out of the cabin:rolleyes:) but we never met face to face. I often tried to meet this elusive creature by asking at the front desk, but they were never available at that particular time. Oh well, we ended up with enough wine to last the 22 days.....

Yes, on our Rhyndam cruise last April the GRM frequently sat out front at the desk in the Atrium. And a couple of weeks ago on the Statendam the GRM was out and around every day; it would have been easy to chat with her. It does happen!

I just used the expression endangered species to mean a valuable form of life that seems to be. disappearing. I am delighted to hear that it still survives on the Ryndam.

I fully understand why you posted this. :) Prior to Ryndam, I had not seen anyone at the desk on our previous cruises. It's been 2 years since we last sailed on HAL prior to last week's cruise so perhaps something has changed in the intervening time causing HAL to re-commit to making "GRM" a better known acronym.

We've received affirmative reports from three ships of fifteen. Of course, there could be one or more sightings that weren't reported.

On my most recent cruise the Dining Room Manager visited every table within my range of vision more than once and stopped to chat at many of them. When I complimented him on his diligence, he told me that he believes that each and every passenger deserves the same respect.

Of course, some passengers pay a lot more than others and deserve all of the amenities they get in return. We who pay less should be thankful to them because they pay for the fuel for all of us. If they wore insignia on their shoulders, I'd salute them when we passed on the ship.

But amenities and respect are two different things. A GRM at that outside desk is immediately available to everyone; a GRM in executive seclusion is not. (I have encountered initial reluctance by front office staff to let me see the GRM and a GRM in flight throughout the ship is certainly not available to the many passengers who do not know who the GRM is.)

I'm a bit introverted and If I were a GRM, I would not look forward to sitting out there at that exposed desk, but I would do it because it is an outward and visible sign of respect for all of the passengers by the GRM, the Hotel Director and Holland America in proportion to their respective parts in making it happen.

Additionally, it would tend to preserve some sense of intimacy as the ships get bigger.

And it's one of the things that make Holland America a premium cruise line.

We've received affirmative reports from three ships of fifteen. Of course, there could be one or more sightings that weren't reported.

On my most recent cruise the Dining Room Manager visited every table within my range of vision more than once and stopped to chat at many of them. When I complimented him on his diligence, he told me that he believes that each and every passenger deserves the same respect.

Of course, some passengers pay a lot more than others and deserve all of the amenities they get in return. We who pay less should be thankful to them because they pay for the fuel for all of us. If they wore insignia on their shoulders, I'd salute them when we passed on the ship.

But amenities and respect are two different things. A GRM at that outside desk is immediately available to everyone; a GRM in executive seclusion is not. (I have encountered initial reluctance by front office staff to let me see the GRM and a GRM in flight throughout the ship is certainly not available to the many passengers who do not know who the GRM is.)

I'm a bit introverted and If I were a GRM, I would not look forward to sitting out there at that exposed desk, but I would do it because it is an outward and visible sign of respect for all of the passengers by the GRM, the Hotel Director and Holland America in proportion to their respective parts in making it happen.

Additionally, it would tend to preserve some sense of intimacy as the ships get bigger.

And it's one of the things that make Holland America a premium cruise line.

Pettifogger!! Wow! You really did an excellent job of spelling this out. All Hotel Directors should receive a copy of this post and take it to heart.

I think in many respects that GRMs do not want to expose themselves to what is usually a cascade of complaints. Who would? But this is the job.

HAL in the not-so-distant past had a GRM at the desk during office hours on every cruise we took. Then, a few years ago, at least on our cruises (2-3 per year) they seemed to change the job description and we were told to deal with the Front Desk. Now, happily, it seems that HAL is reinstituting office hours for the GRMs who are again available at the outside desk.

This is a big improvement and the right direction for HAL to be moving in. It is about respect, about not just processing the pax through the Front Desk, but dealing with them in a thoughtful, individual way.

HAL's Signature of Excellence plan could use a bit of refurbishing and here is a good start.

I have not seen a Guest Relations Manager on our HAL cruises for several years. If there had been one on our NA cruise this past November my Dear Sis and I would have been so grateful. The Front Office staff tried to be helpful but weren't.

GRMs are still on board but they have many more duties than just manning the GRM Desk. So... if not visible they are probably working hard (for passengers of course) behind the scenes. You don't think HAL is going to give any staff member an easy ride do you!!!! I think today, a lot of the daily problems that used to be handled by the GRM are just as easily handled by Front Desk and if the outcome iss not what you want... ask to see the GRM.

On to another related subject. Ever notice that there is no longer the display of photographs of all the senior officers so that they can be recognised when out in public? I mean, the guy walking around in a white uniform might nnot necessarily be the Captain... he might be Deck Steward. Not everyone can tell badges of rank!

Stephen...

Sitting in sunny and warm Bermuda. More like summer than winter!

GRMs are still on board but they have many more duties than just manning the GRM Desk. So... if not visible they are probably working hard (for passengers of course) behind the scenes. You don't think HAL is going to give any staff member an easy ride do you!!!! I think today, a lot of the daily problems that used to be handled by the GRM are just as easily handled by Front Desk and if the outcome iss not what you want... ask to see the GRM.

On to another related subject. Ever notice that there is no longer the display of photographs of all the senior officers so that they can be recognised when out in public? I mean, the guy walking around in a white uniform might nnot necessarily be the Captain... he might be Deck Steward. Not everyone can tell badges of rank!

Stephen...

Sitting in sunny and warm Bermuda. More like summer than winter!

The first thing we used an boarding, after lunch, of course!, was to go and look at those photographs of the officers. Now, sometimes you can find a few on the big screen by the Explorations Cafe (S and R class), sometimes not. It was a nice touch and we appreciated it.

Archived