Unreasonably large deposits from HAL

DFD1

Heads Up! I just booked a 14 day collectors cruise for May 18. The fare was $999.00 per person. The deposit was a Whopping $600.00 per person, more than half the cost of the cruise.

Seems out of line and unreasonable to me. What do you think?

That seems like alot:confused: I just looked at my booking documents from May of 2012, and for my upcoming 7 day cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, my deposit was $350.00 PP. I also checked on an upcoming "Collectors" cruise in 2014, and I used two future cruise credits bought on our last HAL cruise and they were for $100.00 PP. Did you book through HAL?

I've just checked with HAL and rechecked with my TA.

HAL's response is that while it is marketed as a Collectors Cruise, it is in fact two cruises Back to Back. They use this explaination to justify the unusually large deposit.

To my way of thinking, if they market it as a 14 day collectors cruise, and I booked it as a collectors cruise, then it's ONE cruise, NOT TWO.

I'm a long-time HAL fan, but I think this is excessive and deceptive.

IMO

I think this is a method they have started to use to stop holding so many cabins for people placing low deposits who put those cruises on their 'wish list' and were never really sure they'd be sailing. HAL has probably gotten fed up with selling the same cabin over and over because with low deposits people say, oh why not...... let's hold the cabin and we'll decide at final payment if we want to go. I've read of people holding two or three cabins on two or three different ships for same approximate dates.

Are people more serious about their bookings when they have to place a sizeable deposit?

It seems a bit more than I have ever paid for the deposit. I have booked a 23 day "Collector" cruise in May. Actually a 16 day transatlantic and a 7 day Med cruise. Total was about $2,600 pp and the deposit was $850.

It seems a bit more than I have ever paid for the deposit. I have booked a 23 day "Collector" cruise in May. Actually a 16 day transatlantic and a 7 day Med cruise. Total was about $2,600 pp and the deposit was $850.

That does seem a very high deposit.

Best is to buy FCD's when on board and then use them as deposit when you are ready. They are good for 4 years.

I think this is a method they have started to use to stop holding so many cabins for people placing low deposits who put those cruises on their 'wish list' and were never really sure they'd be sailing. HAL has probably gotten fed up with selling the same cabin over and over because with low deposits people say, oh why not...... let's hold the cabin and we'll decide at final payment if we want to go. I've read of people holding two or three cabins on two or three different ships for same approximate dates.

Are people more serious about their bookings when they have to place a sizeable deposit?

That's a good way for HAL to get people to not commit early:rolleyes:. That said, it amazes me that people actually book cruises that they will likely never go on. I think it's time for a new hobby at that point.

OP, I agree. It's seems excessive.

Heads Up! I just booked a 14 day collectors cruise for May 18. The fare was $999.00 per person. The deposit was a Whopping $600.00 per person, more than half the cost of the cruise.

Seems out of line and unreasonable to me. What do you think?

Where are you cruising in May for this fare? What ship? We are looking for a late May cruise for our anniversary.

I sure hope they don't but there are a couple lines now not returning the whole deposit. They hold like $200 as a "future cruise" deposit with like a two year expiration.

I sure hope they don't but there are a couple lines now not returning the whole deposit. They hold like $200 as a "future cruise" deposit with like a two year expiration.

That's another method to try and hold down the "pie in the sky" type of bookings.

Unless people have some 'money' in the game, it seems some will hold up cabins they know there is little chance they will use.

We have been shut out of cruises because cabins we wanted were already taken. We make alternative plans and then later learned the cabins freed up due to cancellation. There will always be some of that but it seems there is a lot of it going on.

I could be wrong but I think that's like a early saver rate. I'd love it if HAL commited the best rate to early bookers.

I could be wrong but I think that's like a early saver rate. I'd love it if HAL commited the best rate to early bookers.

One line calls it an "administrative cancelation fee" but caveats it with saying it can be applied to a future cruise within two years. I wish they'd come up with early saver discounts, I'd even go with a "cancelation fee" if they did that.

That's another method to try and hold down the "pie in the sky" type of bookings.

Unless people have some 'money' in the game, it seems some will hold up cabins they know there is little chance they will use.

We have been shut out of cruises because cabins we wanted were already taken. We make alternative plans and then later learned the cabins freed up due to cancellation. There will always be some of that but it seems there is a lot of it going on.

A friend who is a TA with a local travel agency says more and more people have been booking then canceling than they can recall in the past. They write it off to partially the economy and hopes things will get better then don't. They also think the last minute sales are starting to take their toll in terms of people jumping to other vacations because of the deals. According to her it's not just cruising but the whole vacation industry.

Even using FCD -- the deposits have now changed on them:

Future cruises … effective October 2012

Join us for a unique opportunity to discover the world — with incredible savings and extraordinary benefits.

Book your next Holland America

cruise on board and receive

Up tous$200 per person Shipboard Credit

Reduced deposit

Greater availability

Limited time — on board only — reduced deposit

Book on board and you can reserve your next cruise at a reduced deposit. (If you choose to take advantage of Holland America’s Cancellation Protection Plan, this payment will be due prior to the cancellation period.) No additional deposits will be due until time of final payment. Should you need to cancel

your reservation, your reduced deposit will be applicable to another Holland America Line cruise during the applicable period. Your reduced deposit will be subject to cancellation fees if the booking is cancelled within the published cancellation period. Euro bookings are subject to a 20 percent cancellation fee and British pound sterling bookings are subject to a 15 percent cancellation fee once deposit, Future Cruise Deposit or payment is applied.Reduced deposit also available in Australian and Canadian dollars, British pound sterling and euro currencies.

Get the stateroom or suite you want

When you book on board, you have a much better opportunity of receiving the stateroom or suite that best suits your traveling style. This includes preferred

accommodations on our most popular and unique itineraries. That’s because your Future Cruise Consultant has immediate access to Holland America’s

reservation system and can view all

Shipboard Credit per person 3 to 10 days 11 to 21 days 22 to 50 days 51+ days

Interior Stateroom/Ocean-view Stateroom $25 $50 $100 $150

Verandah (VQ–VH) $50 $75 $150 $200

Deluxe (PS–S, SA–SZ, A–BC) $50 $100 $150 $200

BQ classified as Verandah onms Veendam. For complete terms and conditions, please see reverse side.

Length of cruise Future Cruise Deposit per person

3 to 10 days $100

11 to 21 days $250

22 to 50 days $500

51 days and greater$1,000

Not applicable for Grand World Voyage, Grand Voyages or segments thereof. Stateroom availabilities on all sailings. The time to reserve your desired stateroom, suite and dining preference is now.

Your booking will be credited to and finalized by your preferred Travel Professional

Holland America Line will honor any pricing or amenities that your Travel Professional extends in addition to our onboard offers

I've just checked with HAL and rechecked with my TA.

HAL's response is that while it is marketed as a Collectors Cruise, it is in fact two cruises Back to Back. They use this explaination to justify the unusually large deposit.

To my way of thinking, if they market it as a 14 day collectors cruise, and I booked it as a collectors cruise, then it's ONE cruise, NOT TWO.

I'm a long-time HAL fan, but I think this is excessive and deceptive.

IMO

I could not agree with you more.

Welcome to my world! In Sept.2012 had to pay a $4000 deposit on an $8000 cruise for May 2013. We have had several cruises and always had to pay 50% deposit.... But then again, we only book cruises we intend to take.... Not a 'maybe' cruise. Paying the deposit is just a payment towards the cruise, nothing lost! Travel Insurance is always taken out the day we pay the deposit, so if anything untoward were to happen, we are covered for refunds. JMO! I do agree that there are numerous people who book a certain cabin with only a vague intention of actually going on the cruise, thereby preventing a certainty cruiser from selecting that cabin. Again, just my opinion formed through observations both here on CC and other sites.

A very interesting thread - I've used FCD's for a few years (thanks cruise critic:D) but prior to that we paid the standard deposits. I checked and my old deposit for a 15 day cruise a number of years ago was $650 so I don't things have changed that much:confused:

My understanding has always been that the deposits are the same no matter what the price (and this may be what is making the deposit look so high for the op and others.).

For the fun of it I went to my upcoming cruise - 31 days - if I book an inside cabin, the deposit is $3,500 - if I book a suite the deposit is $3,500 - so basically the same $$ no matter the category. Needless to say there is a big discrepancy between the price of an S and the lowest category inside cabin on the Prinsendam.

Looks like things haven't changed that much;) The fact that the cruise is a buy doesn't decrease the deposit

This makes sense. If a lot of people are holding cabins until final payment and then cancelling just before, I could understand HAL making their deposits higher in an effort to deter this from happening. If this is their reason, I wonder if it is working? Another option instead, might be to charge a cancellation fee.

I am looking at a cruise for my DD and the cruise cost is $799 pp and the deposit is $700 for the cabin. I thought that was high. The agent I used for my last cruise, however, is only requiring a $200 deposit for the same cruise/cabin.

Hi all. I'm new to cruising but when I booked our Alaskan cruise tour in November HAL also collected $1200 per room for our 13 day cruise tour. Last week I switched to a cruise-only at a rate of $750 pp. So HAL is now holding a huge deposit for us but I'm planing on going so no biggie.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

One line calls it an "administrative cancelation fee" but caveats it with saying it can be applied to a future cruise within two years. I wish they'd come up with early saver discounts, I'd even go with a "cancelation fee" if they did that.

I AGREE.

Would love to sail Maasdam, but just did the Canada / Maine cruise in the autumn. Guess that's why I hadn't tripped over this. Thank you!

We sail Maasdam every summer, Boston to Montreal to Boston, on Maasdam and never get tired of that cruise. We love that ship, her crew and those ports. :)

Archived