Can you place wine in your check in bag?

butternut1

Can someone tell me please if the wine you bring onboard has to be carried in your carry on or if you can put it in your checked suitcase? Thanks so much.

I checked mine and I know some people that carried it on. My bag that had wine in it, arrived at the same time as my Mom's that didn't have wine in it.

Susan :)

We have for years. We pack only white, in case in breaks, wrap it good and put in near the center of the bag. Only put in the allowed two bottles. We have never had a problem and never had to go to the naughty room. It has always arrived safely in our cabin.

We have for years. We pack only white, in case in breaks, wrap it good and put in near the center of the bag. Only put in the allowed two bottles. We have never had a problem and never had to go to the naughty room. It has always arrived safely in our cabin.

Great to know, thanks so much.

Do you realize how difficult it is to break a wine bottle surrounded by clothes? Unless they throw your bag under a forklift, a wine bottle will arrive in one piece. Of course, if you put the wine on top of your bag so it's only covered by the outside soft vinyl, that's different, but using any sort of normal packing sense,

I don't think I'd worry about red vs white at all.

Going to the port we do not travel with bottles in luggage.. we buy our wine in the departure port & carry it on in a two bottle neoprene wine carry on from Wine Enthusiast. Protects the wine & has two carrry options..handle or strap. No problem with the carry on going thru security to board.

Going home we would trust the wrapping from the liquor store--seems fairly secure but always a chance of breakage... luggage is not treated well by handlers!

I am not sure wine bottles can leak, but when we took small tequila sets home from Mexico they leaked a bit... Another time fully sealed cough syrup leaked as well, on that one we lucked out as it was wrapped under our rain ponchos & nothing got ruined..

You can either carry on your wine or put it in your checked luggage.

But be aware that we've heard of instances where fellow cruisers have had their luggage diverted to a security holding area (sometimes called the "naughty room" here on Cruise Critic) because security had detected the bottles during luggage scanning but couldn't tell if they were wine or prohibited liquor. If this happens your luggage won't be delivered in the afternoon but instead you'll be notified, probably after sail away, that you need to report to security to open your baggage for inspection. You'll get your wine and luggage eventually but all of this will cause a delay.

While this doesn't happen very often we just carry our wine on board with us to avoid the possibility of having our checked bags delayed.

You can either carry on your wine or put it in your checked luggage.

But be aware that we've heard of instances where fellow cruisers have had their luggage diverted to a security holding area (sometimes called the "naughty room" here on Cruise Critic) because security had detected the bottles during luggage scanning but couldn't tell if they were wine or prohibited liquor. If this happens your luggage won't be delivered in the afternoon but instead you'll be notified, probably after sail away, that you need to report to security to open your baggage for inspection. You'll get your wine and luggage eventually but all of this will cause a delay.

While this doesn't happen very often we just carry our wine on board with us to avoid the possibility of having our checked bags delayed.

hmmm, that's a good point. I would hate to waste my valuable cruise time going to the naughty room to show them that I only packed wine.

I've had a bag diverted to the NR, it was a painless procedure, simply opened my bag and signed it out. I noted several bottles of spirits confiscated. Other than the delay in getting the bag, not much of a problem. My husband's bag, which had the other bottle of wine came straight to the cabin, so it isn't a guarantee it will be held, maybe the shape of the bottle makes a difference. I appreciated the fact that they did not search the bag without me being present.

On our last TA on the Equinox we were called to the naughty room. ( first time in 36 cruises ) I thought it was for liquor in suitcase. The said nothing about liquor and let me keep it. What caused alarm to them was my small set of curlers. I have always traveled with them and it has never showed up as a problem.

reminds me of a flight I took about a month after 9/11 where security confiscated my gum massager. My wife had images of me standing behind the pilot with my gum massager in his mouth against his gums saying "if you don't fly this plane to xxxx, I'm going to massage your gums really hard" :)

Presumably, they were worried that you were possibly going to threaten someone working on the ship...."if you don't clean my room, I'm going to curl your hair"

Archived