Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

So are you saying that you think it is right to just be quiet and eat whatever they bring you, even if it is not what you ordered? Even if it is cooked in a way that is unpalatable for you? Even if, for instance, you ask for dressing on the side and get a salad with dressing already applied?

I am always very polite and specific in my requests and never blame the waiter when things go wrong (the waiters don't cook) but do believe that I should be able to have food prepared the way I like it on a cruise. Who knows maybe they just confused two different orders during the delivery process.

When I was younger I worked as a waitress at Disneyland (even crazier than a cruise ship) and did everything in my power to make sure that people got their food exactly the way they wanted it. There were times when the cook made a mistake and times when I made a mistake. I would much prefer that when things went wrong, my customers talked with me and gave me a chance to make it right, rather than go away unhappy with our food or service. I suspect that the wait staff of cruise ships feel the same way. Oft times the manner in which one resolves a problem will garner better reviews than even perfect service.

Which review would you prefer if you were a waiter:

1. Every night I ordered my steak rare from my waiter Raoul and it always came well done. He just didn't see to care what I wanted.

Or, this:

2. On the first night of the cruise I ordered a rare steak from our waiter Raoul. It came well done and he went out of his way to make sure it was replaced with a rare steak in rapid order. Every night thereafter, Raoul took special pains to make sure that everything I ordered was cooked to my satisfaction. I was very impressed. KUDOS to Raoul!

Of course, we must always be polite, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with requesting and expecting your food the way you want it.

Edited to add, in the case of a nonfunctional toilet, one can be polite, but very FIRM in requesting repair. :)

I also would never send food back, unless I got the wrong thing. I know food on a cruise ship is like banquet dining and I don't expect food to be made to order. If I don't like something I don't eat it. I wouldn't add to the waiters work by asking them to keep going back over and over again. That's just me, though. There's always another meal.

I am happy to say that most of the people I have met crusing are wonderful interesting fun people. My husband and I are blue-collar middle class folks who save all year for a yearly winter cruise. I do remember my first cruise, however, when we hadn't even been on board 5 minutes, waiting for the elevator to take us up to Lido deck for lunch, and a couple kept on and on and on about how tacky the ship was, and how much better other ships and cruise lines were, etc. etc. I turned and asked them "why are you here then?" and told them I thought it was beautiful and how excited I was to be cruising. The response was something to the effect that they had a few days to kill and grabbed a last minute bargain, and they usually go on much nicer ships with a better crowd. They really tried to take the wind out of our sails, but I was too excited to be on a ship for the first time that I ignored them. I was pleasantly surprised at dinner that evening to be sitting with such a diverse group of people, and we looked forward to sharing our days excursions and stories with each other every night at dinner. The snobs are usually the ones nobody wants to be around and ruin their own trip by being so petty and picky and always looking for something to bit** about.

I also would never send food back, unless I got the wrong thing. I know food on a cruise ship is like banquet dining and I don't expect food to be made to order. If I don't like something I don't eat it. I wouldn't add to the waiters work by asking them to keep going back over and over again. That's just me, though. There's always another meal.

I think it's all about how you ask. If you say, "Could you please put my steak on the grill a little longer?" they'll probably respond, "Of course!" But if you say, "I ordered MEDIUM WELL," then you're not going to be making many friends.

There's no harm in making requests. But you're more likely to get what you want when you do it nicely and actually take a moment to think about how you're going to say something.

That's really how almost everything is. A lot of people mentioned on this thread as snobs came off as snobs because of their tone of voice and language used. But had they just rephrased what they wanted or their observations, they wouldn't be noted as thinking exceptionally high of themselves or looking down upon other people.

We generally find that those who are the most snobby have the least to brag about and are the most insecure. They act that way to make up for themselves feel important, and they either don't care how bad they look or are unaware of it. We feel sorry for them--but we also do our best to avoid them.

On our Emerald TA a couple asked if they could sit with us in HC, and we gladly said yes because we often meet interesting people that way. They proceeded to discuss whether their next cruise should be the world cruise or just a very large segment of it--and they never said a word to us! They totally ignored us, and when we tried to make a comment about the cruises they were discussing the woman looked at us like we were bothering them. If the discussion was to impress us, it failed. Our lasting impression of them was how rude they were to ask to sit at our table and then to ignore us.

I've found that if I don't eat a good portion of whatever the dish is, the waiters get upset and ask if anything's the matter. I think they're concerned that I'm not going to say anything and possibly mark them down as less than a 10 on the survey. Either I tell them my eyes were bigger than my stomach or say that it isn't really to my taste. Sometimes, I ask for something else, sometimes I let it go. As they get to know me, they know that I order a variety of things on the menu, from appetizer to soup to salad so it's very possible I don't have much of an appetite for an entree.

You get far more with honey than vinegar.

I have seen a steak sent back to the kitchen 4 times and finally the lady and hubby left our table in a huff. Thankfully for the rest of us as it was actually becoming embarassing for the whole table. Has all the food I have ever ordered come EXACTLY as I wanted, no. Has it all been fine to eat, yes. If I ordered steak and got tuna it would be going back but that's about it. I have never sent a meal back let alone 4 times. You want 5 star food and a personal visit from the chef then book that at couple of hundered a plate and not a cruise with the rest of us that understand serving 500-1000 people at a time is one hell of a challenge for any galley crew.

I think that the biggest perks in cruising come, not from elite status, but from being "on vacation." There are always those who are determined not to have a good time. You want the best cruise experience of your life? Be appreciative. Be polite. Be thankful.

I think that the biggest perks in cruising come, not from elite status, but from being "on vacation." There are always those who are determined not to have a good time. You want the best cruise experience of your life? Be appreciative. Be polite. Be thankful.

Well said - especially given your username! :rolleyes:

My mother and both her parents were born in Lincoln, and some of the best pizza I ever ate was there. You also have the most impressive capitol building in the country, IMO. "Place" snobs annoy me no end.

Thanks. I agree about both!

"My name is Indigo Montoya...you killed my father...prepare to die."

This has become one of our family sayings when anyone gets annoying--along with 'Inconceivable!" Our grandson was obsessed with this movie from about age 2-6 so we have seen it many times. Still love it even though he is out of this phase.

Great if very strange book as well.

Probably gonna be called a snob for saying this but.. my ultimate snob experience wasn't on a ship but a review right here in CC... I won't say the guys name or the name of the ship he was reviewing but he was appalled at the fact he was served red wine in a white wine glass & couldn't believe they used the same salt & pepper shakers in all dining areas.

I wouldn't be happy about being served red wine in a white wine glass, either (except on Royal Caribbean, where the red wine glasses are awful and the white ones actually much better). But I think that makes me a wine snob, not a cruise snob.:)

We LOVE meeting the Chief Engineer on any ship - DH spent most of his Navy career in the engine room, so he loves to talk gears & azipods and such. The Chiefs almost always appreciate the interest, since I imagine that most passengers look past them for the Captain.

We are VERY easy to please and appreciate the service, even if it is not perfect. However - DH likes his steak well done - I know, weird considering we live in TX. If it is slightly pink in the center, he'll eat it. On our recent first Celebrity cruise, the first steak was quite bloody! He asked the waiter to have the chef throw it back on the fire. The second stead was BLEEDING big time! He put it aside and I shared my chicken dish with him. The waiter was horrified and brought the M'D over who asked that DH let them try again. By this time everyone else was near finished and I told them I had more than I could eat anyway and we often share. We did not make a big deal of it.

I do think they can and should make an effort to cook a steak as requested. There is a BIG difference between rare and well done.

"funny" that your name is Daisy. (Same as Onslow's wife)

iirc, Geoffrey (Onslow) Hughes was Paul McCartney's voice in the film Yellow Submarine.

That is interesting about Yellow Submarine. Daisy is my cat (one of them), but that is kinda funny that we were talking about Onslow, and the connection with Daisy.

There was a woman at the table next to us - the first night she was very unhappy as she wanted a plate of shrimp and cocktail sauce. It was not available and she made a scene. The next night when she got to the table there was a platter of shrimp and cocktail sauce for the table to share. She again made a scene because she hadn't wanted it that night and had the waiter take it away. It was the same every night. The last night (this was before auto tips) she made a big production out of giving the waiter a dollar bill for his tip. When he came to our table he was almost in tears. She truly was the nastiest woman I have ever encountered, and am thankful that she wasn't at our table.

We are booked on The Golden August 18th. Join us for less school kids.;)

Mike:)

But end of July is typically warmer, and I want Glacier Bay for my mom's first/only AK cruise.

Back on topic, I wasn't referring specifically to you in my comment, but of course I include you in my list of wonderful dining companions. Definitely not snobbish either, even though you were in a suite and we were in lowly steerage. :D

Totally agree. People have to be greatful for what they got because it can be gone in little time.

But end of July is typically warmer, and I want Glacier Bay for my mom's first/only AK cruise.

Back on topic, I wasn't referring specifically to you in my comment, but of course I include you in my list of wonderful dining companions. Definitely not snobbish either, even though you were in a suite and we were in lowly steerage. :D

Understood about Glacier Bay for your Mom..

You are far too kind.:o

We will keep an eye out at lunch on embarkation if you change your mind.

Mike:)

This is the best thread! :D

Not only are all the stories great fun, but even the side-threads have been on-point and entertaining (I mean you, Keeping Up Appearances and The Princess Bride ;)).

To the poster who asked if we were being snobs in this thread: no, we're being catty -- and isn't it great fun? Especially when those we are making fun of deserve it so...

Thankfully our cruising experience hasn't been harmed by these snobs and boors (yet), but this gives me great ammunition for the future. I'm especially looking forward to pre-teens in the hot tub.

This is the best thread! :D

Thankfully our cruising experience hasn't been harmed by these snobs and boors (yet).

I'm especially looking forward to pre-teens in the hot tub.

Agree to both statements.

Hot Tip - If you want the hot tub to yourself, a simple squirt of mustard or tomato sauce will do the trick.:eek:

I just want to say "Thank You" to the people posting in this thread. You have made me even more appreciative of the fact that we have NEVER run into the kind of people you describe!! We are SO fortunate! Only once have we had table mates who weren't interesting and polite, and they were just irritating and never rude to the staff.

Such behavior is rare and we are glad of that fact.

May all your journeys be to interesting places among interesting people......:D

Archived