shore excursions

spideman

My wife and i will be on the march cruise from Sydney to Papeete. We just made our shore excursion reservations and were unable to book several that we wanted as they were sold out. (our error). Any ideas? We will call the cruise line tomorrow. Excited about the cruise however. third one on oceania.

My wife and i will be on the march cruise from Sydney to Papeete. We just made our shore excursion reservations and were unable to book several that we wanted as they were sold out. (our error). Any ideas? We will call the cruise line tomorrow. Excited about the cruise however. third one on oceania.

If at all possible do your own or join a group. You' l save money and be happier. :)

Do a private excursion wherever possible. As suggested the roll call board. Private excursions are far better, more convenient. Oceania excursions for the most part are not great and expensive. jmo.

+1

You will pay 3 or 4 times for an inferior experience if u book the Oceania excursions. In the end u will save hundreds if not thousands if u do private excursions

Spideman,

We wanted to take an O exc. to Masada but it was filled. We asked that our name be put on a waiting list and happened to mention that to one of the ship's staff. On our bed that afternoon was a note that we were on the Masada excursion. They had enough on a wait list that they created another group. I think it helped that we wanted the "small tour group" for under 16 people (so more $ for O).

Go to the excursions desk and ask to be put on a wait list. Go to your Roll Call and see if there is room in one of the private groups. BTW, we've done on-our-own, O's excursions, and private; go with what is comfortable and safe for you. Enjoy!!! c

Laraine,

As you know I prefer DIY tours but we have taken a number of ship's tours over the years and while I prefer a smaller group, most of them were very good indeed. (Won't argue about pricing with you!)

Yes, we did have one or two lemons on those tours but to judge all of them on the basis of one failure is somewhat unfair, I think. Last year in Corsica we had an absolutely fabulous guide on a ship's tour and the next day an inferior one in Sardinia. It wasn't that that second guide was so awful, it was a language problem. She was quite fluent in English but she added an "uh" at the end of just about every word and so it wasn't always easy to understand her.

We've had some not so great private tours as well. It CAN be the luck of the draw.

As has been said many times, there are people who feel more comfortable with a ship's tour, just from the aspect of knowing the ship won't leave without you, or perhaps they don't feel comfortable in dealing with a foreign language. There are certainly good reasons for using a ship's tour.

Mura

Laraine,

As you know I prefer DIY tours but we have taken a number of ship's tours over the years and while I prefer a smaller group, most of them were very good indeed. (Won't argue about pricing with you!)

Yes, we did have one or two lemons on those tours but to judge all of them on the basis of one failure is somewhat unfair, I think. Last year in Corsica we had an absolutely fabulous guide on a ship's tour and the next day an inferior one in Sardinia. It wasn't that that second guide was so awful, it was a language problem. She was quite fluent in English but she added an "uh" at the end of just about every word and so it wasn't always easy to understand her.

We've had some not so great private tours as well. It CAN be the luck of the draw.

As has been said many times, there are people who feel more comfortable with a ship's tour, just from the aspect of knowing the ship won't leave without you, or perhaps they don't feel comfortable in dealing with a foreign language. There are certainly good reasons for using a ship's tour.

Mura

Mura

For those who feel more comfortable the ship's tour is their only option

I would rather stay on the ship than travel with a bus load of cruisers with a guide and itinerary that I have not selected and without the ability to stop when and where I want during the tour. I do not want to wait for 25 women to use the bathroom as I did I the one o tour I took. I do not want to be taken to a ripoff gift shop as I was on the one O tour I took -- or not be able to stop at a great market that is not on the plan. I want to be independent when I travel

I have never had a bad private tour. I do extensive research. I love the intimacy of the small group and have made lifelong friends that way. In fact we are traveling nownn in oz with friends we met on insignia in 2009. love getting to know the guide and really learning about the culture.

To each his own. If someone asks I will always recommend private tours unless the person as u say is uncomfortable away from the safety of the ship tour.

Mura

For those who feel more comfortable the ship's tour is their only option

I would rather stay on the ship than travel with a bus load of cruisers with a guide and itinerary that I have not selected and without the ability to stop when and where I want during the tour. I do not want to wait for 25 women to use the bathroom as I did I the one o tour I took. I do not want to be taken to a ripoff gift shop as I was on the one O tour I took -- or not be able to stop at a great market that is not on the plan. I want to be independent when I travel

I have never had a bad private tour. I do extensive research. I love the intimacy of the small group and have made lifelong friends that way. In fact we are traveling nownn in oz with friends we met on insignia in 2009. love getting to know the guide and really learning about the culture.

To each his own. If someone asks I will always recommend private tours unless the person as u say is uncomfortable away from the safety of the ship tour.

Well said ! :)

I'll go back to my original statement. I'm with Laraine and others in that I myself prefer private tours. Sometimes we use ship's tours because maybe we're in a strange place, or maybe I'm just accommodating DH who does like their convenience. I usually prevail but I let him have his desires on occasion, especially if I haven't found a private tour that appeals to me.

My point was that on the basis of one lousy ship's tour, that doesn't mean they are all lousy -- because they are not. They definitely have more people than I like! You have fewer choices about what you want to do. Etc.

But Laraine said she took one whole ship's tour which was horrible (I assume that was on O) and therefore says they are all horrible. Well, they aren't all horrible! We can have our preferences ... obviously we do. If her favoring private tours is only on the basis of smaller groups, better choice of what you do -- that's entirely valid. I can't argue and I don't.

Now, if she'd said she'd been on a number of tours (pick a number, any number) and they were all hideous, then I wouldn't have said a word. But she bases her judgment on only one.

Don't think I'm a big defender of ship's tours because I am not. I just haven't thought they were as awful as she does. She is entitled to her opinion! I am NOT saying she isn't.

I've argued along the same lines with people who hate the GDR based on one meal. We happen to like the GDR, especially on the "R" ships. But because one waiter is inefficient or one meal is subpar doesn't mean the restaurant is horrible. We tend to prefer GDR to Toscana, so sue us!

I will continue to complain when blanket statements are made. I won't insist that someone who hates a ship's tour or the GDR confine themselves to those choices! I'm just saying that making a judgment on the basis of one tour or one meal is -- well, maybe not unfair, but perhaps unjust?

Mura

I'll go back to my original statement. I'm with Laraine and others in that I myself prefer private tours. Sometimes we use ship's tours because maybe we're in a strange place, or maybe I'm just accommodating DH who does like their convenience. I usually prevail but I let him have his desires on occasion, especially if I haven't found a private tour that appeals to me.

My point was that on the basis of one lousy ship's tour, that doesn't mean they are all lousy -- because they are not. They definitely have more people than I like! You have fewer choices about what you want to do. Etc.

But Laraine said she took one whole ship's tour which was horrible (I assume that was on O) and therefore says they are all horrible. Well, they aren't all horrible! We can have our preferences ... obviously we do. If her favoring private tours is only on the basis of smaller groups, better choice of what you do -- that's entirely valid. I can't argue and I don't.

Now, if she'd said she'd been on a number of tours (pick a number, any number) and they were all hideous, then I wouldn't have said a word. But she bases her judgment on only one.

Don't think I'm a big defender of ship's tours because I am not. I just haven't thought they were as awful as she does. She is entitled to her opinion! I am NOT saying she isn't.

I've argued along the same lines with people who hate the GDR based on one meal. We happen to like the GDR, especially on the "R" ships. But because one waiter is inefficient or one meal is subpar doesn't mean the restaurant is horrible. We tend to prefer GDR to Toscana, so sue us!

I will continue to complain when blanket statements are made. I won't insist that someone who hates a ship's tour or the GDR confine themselves to those choices! I'm just saying that making a judgment on the basis of one tour or one meal is -- well, maybe not unfair, but perhaps unjust?

Mura

Mura

IMO by definition traveling on a bus with 50 strangers with no control over itinerary is horrible

That is my opinion

I would stay on the ship rather than do that

That could never be a good tour for us

To each his own

That's fine and dandy and you are entitled to your choice. However, it is not fair to declare all ship's tours large and horrible because they are not.

For me larger equals horrible

My opinion

I will not go with more than ten in a group

O fills the buses so some cruisers are fine with it

To each his own

U do your thing and I will do mine

Let me give u an example from today

Today we took a small group tour (12 in a Mercedes van) to the blue mountains outside sydney. our fabulous guide strategized our visits to the various sites toAVOID THE BUSES.

I not only do not want to be on that bus, I don't want to be at a location when the buses and thus the crowds are there

Some think big ships are horrible

I think big bus tours are horrible based on nothing more than size

I do not want to go with a crowd. I want small and intimate

Those who think the quality of ship tours is good despite the size should just enjoy.

For me the large size makes enjoyment impossible

I know many who share my view

One size does not fit all

For us, size small fits

Choose the size that fits you

Today we took a small group tour (12 in a Mercedes van) to the blue mountains outside sydney. our fabulous guide strategized our visits to the various sites toAVOID THE BUSES.

I not only do not want to be on that bus, I don't want to be at a location when the buses and thus the crowds are there

Those who think the quality of ship tours is good despite the size should just enjoy.

For us, size small fits

I have experienced very few ships tours because I prefer to book my own either in advance or when I get there. The ship tour I did take on the Med was fine. My wife took one in Alaska she thought was fine. For me the issue is expense. A good example on our current cruise is that the same tour offered ashore was $80 pp although the ship version was $200 pp. That seems an unsustainable mark up to me although of course that is just one example and may not represent all ships tours.

I have experienced very few ships tours because I prefer to book my own either in advance or when I get there. The ship tour I did take on the Med was fine. My wife took one in Alaska she thought was fine. For me the issue is expense. A good example on our current cruise is that the same tour offered ashore was $80 pp although the ship version was $200 pp. That seems an unsustainable mark up to me although of course that is just one example and may not represent all ships tours.

"Fine" is not good enough IMO

I want my tours to be fabulous and memorable.

Unlike others I care little about what cabin I am in or even the food. I can find something decent to eat. But the tours and experiences are my number one priority and that's where I expend my energy.

For us, size small fits

We where on the Regatta last feb. Sydney to Auckland .Great cruise.

We also went to The Blue Mountains through the O tour. Mini MB bus with 12 passangers no big bus. Driver was so accomidating. Loved the O tour.

We took all the O tours on that crusie and everyone of the past 5 cruises we where on. Fantastic and the bus's are so comfortable

We where on the Regatta last feb. Sydney to Auckland .Great cruise.

We also went to The Blue Mountains through the O tour. Mini MB bus with 12 passangers no big bus. Driver was so accomidating. Loved the O tour.

We took all the O tours on that crusie and everyone of the past 5 cruises we where on. Fantastic and the bus's are so comfortable

First there are many different companies that go to the blue mtns. They are not equal. Itineraries differ. We got to scrutinize reviews and choose our guide and itinerary A must for us

Second if u booked thru o you likely paid a multiple of what you would pay booking on your own. To me that is throwing money away

"Fine" is not good enough IMO

I want my tours to be fabulous and memorable.

Unlike others I care little about what cabin I am in or even the food. I can find something decent to eat. But the tours and experiences are my number one priority and that's where I expend my energy.

can't argue with that, and the tours I was referring to we're fine and certainly not fabulous

Lots of differences here, and no one will convince someone else.

Laraine obviously wants a private tour (as is her right) and cannot consider a ship's tour. She tried it once and didn't like it. When I first responded, I thought it was unfair for her to judge ship's tours as always awful based on one experience, but if she doesn't like a large bus group (or lack of control over the itinerary) it's understandable she feels that way.

I prefer private tours but can accept a ship's tour. Most have been quite good, a very few not so much. But yes, more people on the bus! And we go where we are directed.

And there are people who prefer ship's tours for other various reasons.

None of us will convince the others!

This is on ongoing debate that I suspect will never end.

Mura

Archived