Do your thighs chafe?

maureencruiser

Before all these fancy creams and other stuff my Mother had us use plain old corn starch when we were teens. It worked well and was cheaper than other products.

I've tried it, but I found it didn't really stay on a vertical surface like my legs (well, they're vertical when I'm standing)......at least not enough to make a difference. I've tried talcum powder and baby powder too. I'm going to give Body Glide another try today, reapplying it mid-day.

I use corn starch, too, but I find it doesn't last long if I am sweating too much. Although it DOES help absorb sweat. With body glide, even when sweating heavily (working out) it doesn't stop working (although it does nothing to prevent/absorb sweat).

So even though with corn starch, you don't feel sweaty I can chafe by the end of the day. With body glide, I may feel sweaty but no chafing. But that's just my experience, I assume others will have different results.

This is not just an "overweight" problem so please don't think of it like that. My BMI is well within the "healthy" range and I still have this problem! I find that a little bit of A&D ointment (like you would use for diaper rash) before the chaffing starts (or even after if you forget) goes a long way. I buy it at the dollar store! The cheap and easy to find solution.

PS, if you feel that the body glide would be better for you, it is more expensive but you can usually find it at just about any decent sporting goods store.

I have the same issue.

I used to use talcum powder but it was really just a short term solution and wasn't long lasting. I use Lanacane anti-chafing gel which is great but you do have to re-apply, especially for a long day - I was constantly putting more on at my Sisters Wedding last June which is not easy with a floor length bridesmaid dress in a tiny toilet cubicle! ;)

I also picked up a tip on a website where someone used old tights and just cut them to an appropriate length for what she needed. She said it worked for her.

In 2011 I went to Rome and I used a lot of crop/capri leggings with shorter sun dresses and tunics. The weather was hot but they didn't make me feel any hotter than I would have been.

However I have been on the lookout for some thigh covering underwear. For ladies in the UK I have seen some light control thigh shapers in Next and M&S.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Sparkles87

II also picked up a tip on a website where someone used old tights and just cut them to an appropriate length for what she needed. She said it worked for her.

I've tried that with pantyhose (not tights), but they just curled and rode up my thighs into the crease at my hips. Didn't work for me, but maybe tights would be better?

Someone did tell me you could get thigh-covering underpants at Walmart, but I haven't had luck finding them.......maybe they're not available at Canadian Walmarts, or they're only in certain regions. Or that person was lying, LOL.

My next experiement will be corn starch on top of the Body Glide, which might make it last longer.

This SO qualifies as TMI:

I don't chafe, but when my thighs meet each other, they sweat and I end up with damp underwear!! I wear short dresses in the summer (some pretty short) and it's a problem.....So I've found long-leg panties work really well for me in the summer. Here's a source:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/Clothing/Women&aposs/Bras_&_Panties/10718

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm back from my cruise and I did use the Monistat Anti-chafing gel and it worked great! I used it on formal night and did not have any problems, it really does turn into a powder when you apply it. I wore a dress even longer on the last day of the cruise and did much more walking and still didn't have any chafing. I did reapply when I returned to my cabin for a glass of wine, but, I don't know that I HAD to do so, I was in the bathroom anyway....So, that is one vote for the Monistat! :)

Well, I'm back from my cruise and I did use the Monistat Anti-chafing gel and it worked great! I used it on formal night and did not have any problems, it really does turn into a powder when you apply it. I wore a dress even longer on the last day of the cruise and did much more walking and still didn't have any chafing. I did reapply when I returned to my cabin for a glass of wine, but, I don't know that I HAD to do so, I was in the bathroom anyway....So, that is one vote for the Monistat! :)

Can you find it in most drug stores?

I swear by Jockey's Skimmies. They are light as a feather and come in white, beige and black. I buy a size larger than I would normally wear because i'm not looking for a girdle. I'm looking to prevent the chafing described by the OP. Honestly when I wear the Skimies, it hardly feels as if I am wearing anything.

I like the Skimmies so much better than Spanx and Assets. Skimmies are softer and lighter weight. When washed, they dry very fast too.

Yes ^^ This. I LOVE my Skimmies. :)

Thanks for the review. I have always had the thigh chafing issue and it drives me nuts. I have bought 2 skorts from Athleta for the summer and I'm hoping they work. I will probably check this gel out too.

ladies,

dont go out and buy anything, the solution is already in your bathroom.

use deodorant, it works like a charm.

I mentioned this to another chubby lady I work with because we dont wear panyhose anymore. she said to use deodorant and it works. it glides just like body glide and you already have it in your suitcase.

one of the best secrets I have ever learned. Now I just need to perfect diet so I wont need to anymore, lol.:p

ladies,

I mentioned this to another chubby lady I work with because we dont wear panyhose anymore. she said to use deodorant and it works. it glides just like body glide and you already have it in your suitcase.

one of the best secrets I have ever learned. Now I just need to perfect diet so I wont need to anymore, lol.:p

Thanks for sharing this! I was going to hit the running store tomorrow for some Body Glide. Saved me a trip, the money & the luggage space! :D

I swear by Jockey's Skimmies. They are light as a feather and come in white, beige and black. I buy a size larger than I would normally wear because i'm not looking for a girdle. I'm looking to prevent the chafing described by the OP. Honestly when I wear the Skimies, it hardly feels as if I am wearing anything.

I like the Skimmies so much better than Spanx and Assets. Skimmies are softer and lighter weight. When washed, they dry very fast too.

Thanks for our advice. I purchased my skimmies today from Kohls and also bought a size larger. They make two sizes, one shorter than the other. I got the shorter one, very comfortable when I tried it on.

ladies,

I couldn't find the Monistat chafing gel at Walmart today so I'll have to try the deodorant. Thanks for the idea.