Room Service - do you tip extra?

TaylorMace

Our third cruise is coming up and we have never tried room service. I normally go up and bring back food from the HC. I know tipping is included, but is it the norm to tip extra for room service? If so, how much. Or - do you consider it part of the daily tip and just enjoy?

Also - Any suggestions on when and what to order?

Our third cruise is coming up and we have never tried room service. I normally go up and bring back food from the HC. I know tipping is included, but is it the norm to tip extra for room service? If so, how much. Or - do you consider it part of the daily tip and just enjoy?

We tip a few dollars whenever we order room service. I have read from others on both points of view so I think it is whatever your personal preference is on the subject.

Tips for Room service are not included. I always order a cup of coffee in the morning for my wife and tip a dollar.

We give $1-$2 & I agree that it's a personal decision on whether to tip room service or not.

If you keep the automatic gratuities & give cash they may keep it but if added to bill it goes into the tip pool. If you don't keep the auto gratuities then any tip (cash or added to 'bill') goes into the tip pool.

We've only ordered room service breakfast & always order the Egg McMuffin type of breakfast sandwich plus other items.

I've never ordered room service pizza which has a $3 per delivery fee so not sure if I'd tip any more. It appears that this fee was added because of too much waste so to me it's understandable.

Thanks for clarifying! One of my favorite things about the cruise is all the service you get and I love the Auto Tipping. I'd either spend a lot more on tips or not take advantage of the service if not for auto tipping. Are there any other folks that are not included in the auto tipping? The people that bring you drinks by the pool?

If we use room service - I think I'll tip a bit extra.

Someone mentioned adding the tip to the bill. Does it cost to order room service (other than the $3 pizza)?

IC - I forgot about that - definitely will pick that for breakfast over the HC this time!

Someone mentioned adding the tip to the bill. Does it cost to order room service (other than the $3 pizza)?

I should have explained it better...it looks like a "bill" with an amount, tip & total but the amount is blank. They have you sign it to confirm delivery but there's no charge except for the pizza delivery fee no matter how many are ordered.

I should have explained it better...it looks like a "bill" with an amount, tip & total but the amount is blank. They have you sign it to confirm delivery but there's no charge except for the pizza delivery fee no matter how many are ordered.

It is a personal choice.

The waiter bringing the room service meal will present a slip for you to sign, it is to acknowlegde that delivery was made to the correct room, you can add a tip to the slip which will go onto your account or just provide a tip in cash. :D

It is a personal choice.

The waiter bringing the room service meal will present a slip for you to sign, it is to acknowlegde that delivery was made to the correct room, you can add a tip to the slip which will go onto your account or just provide a tip in cash. :D

Slip or even order form is a better description than when I used 'bill'. :o

Sounds like most people use Room Service for Breakfast. Anyone use it for any other meals? Can you get apetizers or food like that?

They do have a menu and it will be in your cabin when you board. Room Service is available all the time. You get a door hanger type order form for breakfast that you put out the night before. The rest of the time you call down and order.

I just want to point out that many people who don't tip extra are not going to post to this thread and say so because they will be considered cheap. You are probably getting a skewed set of responses.

We did room service breakfast on our med cruise last summer because many excursions had meeting times of 7 - 7:30. It was nice to eat in the room while getting ready, especially with kids. On sea days we just went to the buffet. I did not tip extra because we did the auto-tip and were told that room service was included in that. The servers did not seem to expect anything. They delivered and left very quickly.

We always tip extra for room service, whether for breakfast or another meal. It's a small price to pay for a great service. Although there is a line for adding a tip on the delivery slip, I always give it to the server in cash - that way, I feel a little more assured that they get to keep the money.

Archived