New York Embarkation/Disembarkation?

str123456789

I am going to be going on the NCL Jewel in a few weeks. I was wondering how smooth embarkation and disembarkation are in New York. How early do I need to get to the terminal to be able to get on the ship at noon? And How long are the lines usually for checking it? When does disembarkation begin and how long does it usually take from getting off the boat to leaving the terminal?

Once again I think everyone's experience is always different. Sailed on the Gem 12/31Embarkation was a disaster. There were very few NCL representatives who knew what they were doing. Sent us back and forth thru the cruise terminal for almost 45 minutes before the right person helped us.

It is a crap shoot but of all the times I cruised out of Ny with NCL this was the only time they really screwed it up

Enjoy

OP--as you can see --experiences differ...mine has always been positive--and found the pier staff very pleasant and helpfull...

And except when there was a ship delay...and or pier problems (Hurricane Sandy aftermath)...embarking and disembarking is usually smooth..

I have sailed out of NY on NCL a couple of times and both the embarkation and disembarkation went fine for me. I fly in and out of La Guardia and take the NCL transfers. Last time I did miss the priority line for Gold and Platinum so I spent some extra time in the regular lattitudes line, but no big deal.

If there is more than one ship at the terminal (2 NCL) it can be a very slow process

If just one ship, we usually are at the port by 11:30 to short security and check-in lines. NOTE I have noticed that more check-in agents arrive at noon, so even if check-in moves slowly till then, at noon the lines speed up.

If I can't be there by 11:30 for some reason, I aim for 1:30 or so as the peak of arrival seems to be 12-1:30 and lines can be very very long at those times.

Yes, it varies from cruise to cruise too, but the above guidelines have worked well for us on many cruises.

I only disembarked once in NY and it was from a Carnival cruise--but I assume the experience would be the same.

We had a LONG wait for a taxi since it was rush hour in NYC; a dispatcher was on hand giving everyone numbers. The taxis started rolling in once the city rush was over. We were #47 and it took over an hour to get a taxi.

I had read a post on CC and forgot about it until we were already in the huge line. When disembarking, take the elevator down to street level, cross the street and hail a taxi from there. Or you can arrange for a town car.

I always found the process to be fast and efficient for security lines and check-in lines.

Last time on the Star, we had to wait a bit of time ( about 90 minutes ) before the embarkation process started, we were #5 and we got aboard around 2.

There were delays but that's not the port fault.

The disembarkation is a loooooooooong process...we had the first colour after the self and priority disembarkation and we waited about 2 hours after we docked.

Since we parked at the pier, we were fast out of there and on the way back home.

I've been at the terminal many times and no issues during embakation. I usually get there by 11. The problem is with disembarkation. Best bet for disembarkation is to get a porter, put all of the luggages on the cart and bypass the long US Custom's lines. The $10-$20 tip is worth it.

We were on the Jewel 30-12-12 sailing. We arrived at the port around 10am and parked our car at the terminal. We were much earlier than we anticipated, and people were still disembarking. Around 10:30am they started check in and security, which we cleared around 11:30am. We were on the ship before noon in boarding group 5.

Disembarkation was a bit more complicated. As the port still isn't fully up and running following Hurricane Sandy, customs was done on the ship. People were crowding the common areas and cutting into the line...it was frustrating. We had lavender tags for 9am, we were the 4th group to be called shortly after 9am and we were in our car in the Lincoln Tunnel by 10am, even after I made a wrong turn :)

• 2 weeks later...
Is the Manhattan Cruise Terminal fully operational now after Sandy's destruction? Elevators working, customs setup, etc.?

Elevators were working and the terminal had heat 3 weeks ago, recent disembarkation reports still say customs is on the ship.

I've been at the terminal many times and no issues during embakation. I usually get there by 11. The problem is with disembarkation. Best bet for disembarkation is to get a porter, put all of the luggages on the cart and bypass the long US Custom's lines. The $10-$20 tip is worth it.

Is the Manhattan Cruise Terminal fully operational now after Sandy's destruction? Elevators working, customs setup, etc.?

For the 1/20 Jewel cruise with one ship in, embarkation was a breeze. From car to dining room in about an hour.

Disembarkation was slow - they were still calling colors at 10 (I think they were on the 5th one then). Customs and Immigration was ship board - all you do is turn in the card after getting luggage. there was only an escalator to get from the 2nd level of the terminal doawn to the ground level where luggage is. I'm not sure how people with more than one bag could do it.

Then, the "fun" started - towing a small roller bag carrying a coat, passport and customs form in the other arm and listening to a terminal "hostess" yelling, "hold the hand rail!" With what? My third arm? The yelling at departing pax continued all the way out to the 12th Av. traffic light. People being picked up by cars and taxis had to walk across 12th with their luggage for pick-up. I'm glad it was only cold and not raining.

• 4 weeks later...

We are embarking the Oceania Marina in Manhattan on 5/26 and I just noticed that one of NCL's megaships (the new Breakaway) arrives at 8am that morning and is scheduled to sail at 4pm with 4,000 pax.

Does the Manhattan port facility have separate lines to process passengers who are boarding different cruise lines' ships? Or will we need to allow extra time to get through the screening and port procedure since our boarding will overlap with NCL'S?

Also, do the baggage porters all work for the port, or are there porters for each cruise line? I would hate for our luggage to accidentally end up inside a megaship that is departing hours before we do.

Normally I would just wait until later in the day to board, after the bulk of NCL-ers were through (we don't sail til 8pm). But we have priority boarding on this voyage and would like to take advantage. I've never sailed from New York, so am not sure how difficult it will be to get embark at this port with two ships boarding on the same day. Oh, and it's Fleet Week, too.

any advice would be appreciated! :)

We are embarking the Oceania Marina in Manhattan on 5/26 and I just noticed that one of NCL's megaships (the new Breakaway) arrives at 8am that morning and is scheduled to sail at 4pm with 4,000 pax.

Does the Manhattan port facility have separate lines to process passengers who are boarding different cruise lines' ships? Or will we need to allow extra time to get through the screening and port procedure since our boarding will overlap with NCL'S?

Also, do the baggage porters all work for the port, or are there porters for each cruise line? I would hate for our luggage to accidentally end up inside a megaship that is departing hours before we do.

Normally I would just wait until later in the day to board, after the bulk of NCL-ers were through (we don't sail til 8pm). But we have priority boarding on this voyage and would like to take advantage. I've never sailed from New York, so am not sure how difficult it will be to get embark at this port with two ships boarding on the same day. Oh, and it's Fleet Week, too.

any advice would be appreciated! :)

There are five separate berths at the Manhattan cruise terminal. Two at Pier 88, two at Pier 90, and one (rarely used) at Pier 92.

NCL Breakaway will be at the north side berth of Pier 88, the only one of the three piers that will have the proper gangways that are needed to accommodate that ship.

Your ship will probably dock at Pier 90. Even if it docked at the south berth of Pier 88, you will have your own check in counters in a different part the terminal than NCL's.

The porters work for the port operator, not the cruise lines. As long as your bags are properly tagged they'll end up on the right ship.

Although the cruise terminal will be busy, and there will likely be extra traffic in the area because of Fleet Week, you shouldn't have any significant problems checking in for your cruise. It tends to get really messy only when 3 or 4 ships are in port.

Thanks so much, njhorseman. FYI Oceania says we currently are scheduled to depart from pier 88, so perhaps we'll be on the south berth of the pier as you described.

It will be interesting to see the Breakaway from the water. She will certainly dwarf the Marina! But that's ok with us. Thanks again!

BTW do all taxi and car services know how to access the elevated roadway for port facility departures? I was thinking of booking through Dial 7 or similar and don't know if the driver would need any direction (we will be coming from downtown/Wall St area).

Thanks so much, njhorseman. FYI Oceania says we currently are scheduled to depart from pier 88, so perhaps we'll be on the south berth of the pier as you described.

It will be interesting to see the Breakaway from the water. She will certainly dwarf the Marina! But that's ok with us. Thanks again!

BTW do all taxi and car services know how to access the elevated roadway for port facility departures? I was thinking of booking through Dial 7 or similar and don't know if the driver would need any direction (we will be coming from downtown/Wall St area).

Car services and taxis should know how to access the cruise terminal. The motor vehicle entrance, regardless of which pier your ship is using, is at 12th Ave. and 55th St. The driver just has to go up the ramp one level to the front entrances of the piers.

If you're in a metered cab and traffic is snarled (which would run up your fare due to waiting time charges accruing) you can have the driver let you out at the taxi stand on the uptown-bound side of 12th Ave at 48th St. You can then walk across 12th Ave. 12th Ave. is a busy street but there is a traffic light and crosswalk there. The pedestrian entrance to Pier 88 is on the downtown-bound side of 12th Ave., at 48th St.

For embarkation, get on the NCL line at 11:30 to 12 noon and you will breeze in to the ship in 10 to 15 minutes. If you wait until 1 pm, then you start to wait on line as this starts the time when the bulk of the passengers want to get on board. Remember, the MDR lunch stops at 2:30. So, the early passengers get a nice, leisurely, waitered lunch that 95 percent of the passengers don't know about. Those will have to wait on a lunch buffet line where the food is not as good as the MDR lunch.And the atmosphere is definitely not relaxing.

As for disembarkation, do what others suggest and get a red cap with a wagon to bypass the very long line for customs--saving at least 30 or more minutes of waiting. If you want to spare yourself the 30 or more minutes waiting on an outdoor line for a cab. Then, while you are about to be processed to customs, call dial 7 car service. They can get you a car in ten or minutes but you will probably have to cross 12th Avenue to get it--sorry, security rules. You will probably have to pay a little more but you will get a larger car and not have to wait on line--not a pleasant experience after an enjoyable cruise. Whatever you do, don't take a car service if a driver offers you a ride in front of the terminal. When you get to your destination, they will charge a rip off price. If you don't pay it, you don't get your luggage.

For embarkation, get on the NCL line at 11:30 to 12 noon and you will breeze in to the ship in 10 to 15 minutes. If you wait until 1 pm, then you start to wait on line as this starts the time when the bulk of the passengers want to get on board. Remember, the MDR lunch stops at 2:30. So, the early passengers get a nice, leisurely, waitered lunch that 95 percent of the passengers don't know about. Those will have to wait on a lunch buffet line where the food is not as good as the MDR lunch.And the atmosphere is definitely not relaxing.

As for disembarkation, do what others suggest and get a red cap with a wagon to bypass the very long line for customs--saving at least 30 or more minutes of waiting. If you want to spare yourself the 30 or more minutes waiting on an outdoor line for a cab. Then, while you are about to be processed to customs, call dial 7 car service. They can get you a car in ten or minutes but you will probably have to cross 12th Avenue to get it--sorry, security rules. You will probably have to pay a little more but you will get a larger car and not have to wait on line--not a pleasant experience after an enjoyable cruise. Whatever you do, don't take a car service if a driver offers you a ride in front of the terminal. When you get to your destination, they will charge a rip off price. If you don't pay it, you don't get your luggage.

I'm not sure who you're addressing, but the most recent post being answered was made by someone cruising on the Oceania Marina, not NCL, and that cruise is only departing from NY...it's not returning there.

On other things, we've been picked numerous times up by car services at the cruise terminal without having to cross 12th Ave. The reason passengers are currently being directed to cross the street is because of damage to the pier from Hurricane Sandy that has compromised the operation of some of the pier's elevators and other facilities...not for security reasons.

Thanks again, njhorseman. I had read earlier about the 12th x 55th taxi stand headed northbound, so if traffic grinds to a halt, we will happily hop out and walk across 12th (at the crosswalk, of course.

Although we're not returning to NYC on this voyage, it will be good when the hurricane damage is repaired so passengers can clear customs in the port facility. It sounds like the on-board customs process for pax disembarking from larger ships can really tie things up. It's amazing that NCL can turn around a 4,000 guest vessel in 8 hours anyway (I think the Breakaway arrives at 8am and sails at 4). Wow.

Thanks again, njhorseman. I had read earlier about the 12th x 55th taxi stand headed northbound, so if traffic grinds to a halt, we will happily hop out and walk across 12th (at the crosswalk, of course.

Although we're not returning to NYC on this voyage, it will be good when the hurricane damage is repaired so passengers can clear customs in the port facility. It sounds like the on-board customs process for pax disembarking from larger ships can really tie things up. It's amazing that NCL can turn around a 4,000 guest vessel in 8 hours anyway (I think the Breakaway arrives at 8am and sails at 4). Wow.

The taxi stand is at 12th Ave. and 48th St. The motor vehicle entrance to the cruise terminal is at 12th and 55th.

I am going to be going on the NCL Jewel in a few weeks. I was wondering how smooth embarkation and disembarkation are in New York. How early do I need to get to the terminal to be able to get on the ship at noon? And How long are the lines usually for checking it? When does disembarkation begin and how long does it usually take from getting off the boat to leaving the terminal?

Not a problem

Archived