HAL vs Oceania

Princess Jessie

HI All,

We are considering our first cruise on Oceania... We have cruised once on NCL (our first) - regular verandah, then twice on Princess - mini suite, once on Celebrity - Concierge Class and now twice on HAL in Dlxe Verandah Suite.

We are British, so maybe our perceptions are slightly different... but we absolutely adore HAL... the Dlxe V Suite is huge... larger than most hotel rooms... they provide a 14 hr or so Concierge Lounge with snacks according to the time of day... (we had breakfast there every day as considered it quite ample choice for us).. free unlmtd laundry if you stay in a suite..

We have just put a deposit down on another HAL cruise, but very close friends of ours are trying to persuade us to go on Oceania. They have never been on HAL so cannot compare. Apart from the obvious difference such as size of ships.. although HAL does have smaller ships... we havent been on them...

I would really appreciate people's opinions of once vs the other... and particularly in relation to the facilities available and size of stateroom comparing a HAL Dlxe V Suite to the Oceania Penthouse Suite which seems to me to be the direct comparison.

Cost wise they seem on a par... I have already noticed that in the Oceania bathroom there is only one sink as opposed to two, and there is no separate dressing room although they have a walk in wardrobe.

Alsthough these things are not necessarily important individually, i would like to know what other differences there are.

We are not foodies, so are rarely critical of food, we do NOT like the formal nights, and we do not smoke.. we are also in our early 50's.. and we appreciate that the demographics of both HAL and Oceania if you travel outside of the holiday season, is going to be of a much older age group.

For some reason, HAL are not highly promoted here in the UK, and Celebrity is the line that is pushed and advertised. We were very disappointed in Celebrity, and we are not comparing the size of the stateroom. But the general attitude of staff and the service received we felt was very poor.

Looking forward to hearing peoples views....

We have sailed on the Prinsendam and the Westerdam in Deluxe Veranda suites. Now we will only sail on Oceania in a Penthouse suite or above. We have ,so far, only sailed on the smaller ships in a Vista suite or penthouse suite. We will sail in March on the Riviera.

The huge difference is in the smoking policy, the relaxed country club casual attire, the fellow cruisers and , most importantly, the dining - both in the quality of the food and the dining at any time and with anyone you choose. By the way, the specialty restaurants do not charge an extra fee.

If you so choose, the O class ships have a dedicated executive lounge that is similar to the Neptune lounge on HAL.

We have found the laundry service on Oceania to be wonderful and send everything out. It is not free but is very reasonable and beautifully done!

Thank you for your reply.. that is very interesting...

We have been twice on the Noordam, which can be compared to the Westerdam that you were on.

Can you tell me regarding size of suite how you think they compare? It seems to me that the Oceania Penthouse suites are slightly smaller than the HAL Dlxe Verandah Suites.. not sure if it makes much difference...

Also, how would you compare the two lounges ? The reason we particularly liked the Neptune Lounge apart from the facility of being able to pop in at any time and grab a drink or a snack, was the facility of the Concierge only for suite guests. They made all our dining reservations for us, on a daily basis in the MDR, with no problem.. organised our check out and generally helped with any query that we had at all.

This was a real bonus, because whenever we did walk past the Front Desk it always had lengthy queues (lines).

Can you or someone please explain what is meant by "O" class ships and "R" class ships on Oceania?

Looking forward to some more points of view.

Can you or someone please explain what is meant by "O" class ships and "R" class ships on Oceania?

Looking forward to some more points of view.

The O class ships are the 2 larger ships in the fleet about 1250 passengers....Marina & Riveira

The R- class ships are the smaller ship less that 700 passenger Regatta & Nautica

No reservations required for the GDR or The TERRACE

The Concierge lounge is available 24/7 but the Concierge is not there all the time

you can get access only with your Key card so not open to all

i have not been on Hal since 1990 so cannot compare services etc...

Here's a link to another Oceania vs. HAL thread I contributed to a few months back which might provide more perspective for you. As I said in my comment, we have only taken 2 cruises, one on Oceania & one on HAL, so we are by no means experts. We preferred Oceania but comparing 10 days in Europe vs. 7 days in the Caribbean isn't really fair as we would typically prefer Europe. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33328972#post33328972

We have not yet been on the O class ships but the penthouse suites including balcony measure 420 sq. feet I think. On the smaller class ships the Penthouse suites are smaller than HAL's deluxe verandah suites but completely adequate with good storage.

On all penthouse suites regardless of size of ships, you have the services of a butler which is wonderful and he/she can do also anything for you . We have enjoyed all of them!

Since I have not yet been on the O ships, I can't comment on the Executive suite and its

concierge but I understand it has snacks and is open all day only to those in Penthouse suites and larger suites.

You really should try Oceania! As for us, we would never think of going back on a HAL ship.

We have not yet cruised Oceania, but have cruised HAL. After out last cruise on HAL we are ready for a change. We loved HAL's SA suites, but IMO, they are not worth the money these days. I guess if you get a really good deal, then that would be different. We were on the Zuiderdam and it was a mess. Our biggest complaints were the toilet issues and the A/C issues. We were stunned at the difference between our 2009 Noordam (which was a wonderful cruise) cruise and the 2012 Zuiderdam cruise. Food, service, everything was off. We also loved the NL, but we were lucky to even find a concierge at the desk. Most time there was a clipboard with a sheet to sign and they'd get back to you. We ended up going to the front desk several times and we found the missing concierge there.

Our furniture in our cabin was like something out of a frat house. If it had been a hotel, we would have checked out. One chair was completely broken. You couldn't even sit in it. The furniture was worn and torn. The free laundry was nice, but the dry cleaning machine was broke when we were on our cruise (things happen, we understand that). However, we sent things out for washing/ironing and they came back clean, but weren't pressed nicely. Little things like that. It all adds up.

I do not blame the staff for these problems. I feel the staff is stretched to the max. We came away from that cruise feeling like they suffered so we could have a vacation. I know they are happy to have a job, but to us, it was just appalling. If even half of the complaints I've read over on the HAL board are true, that's too many. I don't know what's going on at HAL, but we're taking our vacation dollars elsewhere. We are such low maintenance people. We go with the flow, but it's annoying paying for the Ritz and ending up in a Motel 6.

We'll never go back to HAL. They've lost us after this last experience. We know we won't be able to be in the top cabin on Oceania, but we'll be very content in a concierge level cabin. FYIW, I have never had one negative thing to say about HAL in the past. I do not know what's going on now, but it's not good. We cruised the Danube this past summer on Uniworld. They set the new bar for us. I've been reading the threads here for months and I believe that Oceania is our new cruising home. :)

The value for the money spent on any Holland Ship in any class is or has a very poor return compared to Oceania.

My experience is that Holland america in the upper cabins charges more than Oceaina when one factors in all than you have to pay extra for on Holland than Oceania included.

Face it Holland america is a good mass market ship that no matter how much you pay will never and can never equal Oceania !!:cool: Nothing on it is in the same league...like paying for the 4 seasons rates to stay in a Marriott Courtyard.

On 2 similiar cruise for equal length, 30 day plus Holland was charging me almost $250 a day more !

And then there is size...Oceania is 1/2 the size and has a more homey feel. ..1200 rather than 2100

I no longer sail with Holland America.

Here's my take based on our experiences on both HAL and Oceania.

HAL delivers an acceptable mass market product. Once known to have the "spotless fleet", HAL now suffers with ships that are ill-maintained and some are plagued by long-standing plumbing and A/C issues. Staterooms and suites are still some of the largest at sea, but are outfitted with mid-level furnishings, bedding and linens. Food is average and menus are uninspired. Staff and crew are obviously overstretched which impacts service and attention to detail. HAL still maintains formal nights but some of their other signature traditions are gone. HAL has plentiful public spaces, gorgeous teak wrap-around promenades, superb itineraries and offers excellent value for money.

Oceania had already set a pretty high bar for upscale cruising, but they changed the market with the introduction of their new ships. The ships are meticulously maintained and it's so very obvious that they are fondly loved. Attention to detail is everywhere. Staterooms and suites have superior appointments and top-drawer amenities, bedding and linens. Food is outstanding with quality ingredients, proper execution and superb presentation. Staff and crew are attentive and service-oriented. Oceania is country club casual all the time and the atmosphere on-board is convivial and friendly. But Oceania has no lovely wrap-around promenade, topside views are hampered by private cabanas on the smaller ships and pricing can reach luxury line levels.

It's all a matter of choice. If you like HAL, you'll love Oceania.

Here's a link to another Oceania vs. HAL thread I contributed to a few months back which might provide more perspective for you. As I said in my comment, we have only taken 2 cruises, one on Oceania & one on HAL, so we are by no means experts. We preferred Oceania but comparing 10 days in Europe vs. 7 days in the Caribbean isn't really fair as we would typically prefer Europe. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33328972#post33328972

Just back from the Rome to Rio cruise on Marina and there was no need to use your key card....at first I thought it was broken...but after 18 days at sea I'm wondering if they are using it at all? LuAnn

For us it is the difference in smoking policies. Why spend the $ on a veranda only to be unable to use it because the people on either side decide they will spend their vacation there smoking.

Our vacation was pretty much ruined in the Carib some years ago because we couldn't sit out there. We couldn't enjoy a lovely moment with each other or even toast the rising/setting sun because of the two chimneys always out there. Never again.

Oh, O and her lovely sweet smelling verandas!

I'm finding some familiar posters here on the Oceania thread. I too am wondering, as we have not been as happy with HAL on our last couple of cruises.We enjoy Crystal, but with only two ships, their itinerary is rather limited. I think that we may have found a new option.

I'm finding some familiar posters here on the Oceania thread. I too am wondering, as we have not been as happy with HAL on our last couple of cruises.We enjoy Crystal, but with only two ships, their itinerary is rather limited. I think that we may have found a new option.

Hi! Hope all is well with you! I've noticed quite a few HAL posters here.

I'm finding some familiar posters here on the Oceania thread.
Yes, there are a number of us, long time HAL cruisers, who are giving Oceania a try this year. We booked a cruise that appealed to us and sent out an email to our HAL pals letting them know. We were overwhelmed at how many immediately jumped at the opportunity to try Oceania. HAL is extremely focused on changing to appeal to a new clientele and they need to be concerned about keeping those they already have. Good to see you here, Sage. :)

Reading these posts. We booked a 10 day HAL February cruise on Noordam because it went to the ABC islands and Oceania did not. We have done 4 "O" cruises in the Caribbean and really nothing new for us to do with them. I'm not expecting the same food experience, etc on HAL but am hoping that it hasn't gone down hill too much.

We have enjoyed HAL cruises in previous years. Although it's still a toss up as to whether any formal clothes get packed or if those are room service nights - we so love the country cloub casual on O!

Reading these posts. We booked a 10 day HAL February cruise on Noordam because it went to the ABC islands and Oceania did not. We have done 4 "O" cruises in the Caribbean and really nothing new for us to do with them. I'm not expecting the same food experience, etc on HAL but am hoping that it hasn't gone down hill too much.

We have enjoyed HAL cruises in previous years. Although it's still a toss up as to whether any formal clothes get packed or if those are room service nights - we so love the country cloub casual on O!

Did you check the Oceania Riviera itinerary for March 4th? It visits both Aruba and Curacao. I guess its too late now for a cancel of the Noordam, but I would certainly have preferred the Riviera to HAL. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise regardless. As Orwell might have said .. all cruises are equal, but some are more equal than others...;)

We booked a 10 day HAL February cruise on Noordam because it went to the ABC islands and Oceania did not. We have done 4 "O" cruises in the Caribbean and really nothing new for us to do with them. I'm not expecting the same food experience, etc on HAL but am hoping that it hasn't gone down hill too much....
Don't worry, you'll be fine. HAL still offers an acceptable middle-of-the-road product and Noordam is a favorite ship in the Vista class. Just set your expectations at the right level. This is mass market, not premium, cruising. If you make constant comparisons to Oceania, you'll be miserable. While we prefer Oceania, we still sail HAL and enjoy ourselves. Their itineraries and value, especially for longer voyages, are unbeatable. We're taking a 31-day Collectors Cruise to Asia on HAL in a few months. We know what to expect and will do little things to make our cruise more pleasant. The only thing I'm truly dreading is the paucity of fresh fruit and berries at breakfast. But I'll get over it!

Hope you enjoy your Caribbean cruise on Noordam!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. HAL still offers an acceptable middle-of-the-road product and Noordam is a favorite ship in the Vista class. Just set your expectations at the right level. This is mass market, not premium, cruising. If you make constant comparisons to Oceania, you'll be miserable. While we prefer Oceania, we still sail HAL and enjoy ourselves. Their itineraries and value, especially for longer voyages, are unbeatable. We're taking a 31-day Collectors Cruise to Asia on HAL in a few months. We know what to expect and will do little things to make our cruise more pleasant. The only thing I'm truly dreading is the paucity of fresh fruit and berries at breakfast. But I'll get over it!

We used to feel this way, but after spending top dollar for their top cabins, our sentiments have changed. HAL's fleet is going downhill. It's not just the quality of the food, or the service, but it's the ships (several are in bad shape). I do agree it's mass market cruising, and had we been in one of their lower cabins, some of the issues we had would have been non-issues, but everyone, no matter what cabin category they are in, should have functioning toilets and A/C. If I had it to do over again, I would have cancelled our Zuiderdam cruise and for the same amount of money, we could have been on Oceania in a concierge level cabin. Live and learn.

My sister and I wrote on our nightly room service for breakfast a bowl of raspberries and blueberries and it came every morning. Sometimes I wrote in Eggs Benedict and they delivered that also.

CJ

We were on the Noordam in 2009 and we had a lovely time. The Noordam isn't one of the ships (at least not that I know of) that is having A/C, toilet or general maintenance issues, which was our big issue with the Zuiderdam. One thing we love about HAL, no matter what cabin you're in, you can order off the dinner menu and have it delivered to your cabin. They also have a nice room service menu. You can write in items for breakfast menu that don't appear on the menu, as long as your delivery time is during the breakfast dining room times.

We quit bringing formal clothes a long time ago, and instead, dine in the Lido or do room service on formal nights.

Have a nice cruise! :)

Did you check the Oceania Riviera itinerary for March 4th? It visits both Aruba and Curacao. I guess its too late now for a cancel of the Noordam, but I would certainly have preferred the Riviera to HAL. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise regardless. As Orwell might have said .. all cruises are equal, but some are more equal than others...;)

Thanks to you and everyone for your input. We wanted to escape the cold in Indiana in either January or February, which ruled out March. (plus we have another cruise booked mid-march to Asia). We took a delux veradah and are both going for less than the price of a veradah on Oceania so we can temper our expectations and we will have the concierge lounge.

We have some very fond memeories from HAL and met some very good friends on our 21 day canal cruise in 2005 and now cruise often with them. Glad to hear good things about the Noordam. Thanks for the ips on room service.

I'm a half full glass kind of person and absoultely expect to have a wonderful time in the warm, sunny weather.

We have sailed 28 days with HAL in the last 15 months (Zaandam and Statendam) and had no difficulties with A/C, toilets, or anything else.

We were fine with everything...of course we didn't have any other cruise lines to compare it with (except river cruising, a totally different experience). We have another HAL cruise coming up, on the Ryndam. All the good things I ve heard about O has led to a booking for 2014. I expect to love it, but could have taken a similar cruise on HAL for thousands less. I'm worried that I'll never want to go to the "mass market cruise line" again!

We have cruised on several different lines with our last cruise (this past summer) on O (our first time on this line). We were SO not impressed and we weren't alone. Another couple on our cruise who have sailed on HAL commented to us the day we were in port along side a HAL ship that they wished they could jump ship and get back on HAL. HAL pays attention to the details of service that make the experience so special.

We were very disappointed with O on many levels and did not feel it was worth what we paid. We made a lot of comments on the guest survey and the response from O invited us to tell them more. We did. In fact, we sent them a long, detailed email outlining our impressions. Then nothing. We had to email them to check that they received it (they had). I expected at least a reply acknowledging our comments and telling us what they are doing with them. This lack of response is pretty much in line with our overall impression of O.

I know there are lots of very loyal O folks on this thread and I'm glad you've found a line that you enjoy. We just won't be back.

For our money, HAL or Crystal are the lines to go with!

Archived