Chocolate Buffet

cruiser2053

So we were on the sun a few ago and it seems to me that they had a chocolate buffet at midnight on one night of the cruise we are on the Epic on 2/2 sailing and I was wondering if I was remembering correctlty and if so do all NCL ships have the chocolate buffet

Thanks

Jeff

So we were on the sun a few ago and it seems to me that they had a chocolate buffet at midnight on one night of the cruise we are on the Epic on 2/2 sailing and I was wondering if I was remembering correctlty and if so do all NCL ships have the chocolate buffet

Thanks

Jeff

There was a chocolate buffet when we sailed on the Sun a couple years ago, but there was not one on Pride of America. I was somewhat disappointed by that because part of our travel party had never been on a cruise before. I've always thought of the chocolate buffet as one of unique qualities of a cruise ship ranking right up there with the Midnight Buffet. :)

We've sailed on the Spirit and the Pearl (twice) - and I want to say they were at around 10 PM - I have to say, I was disappointed - the desserts were beautiful, but I didn't find them very tasty. Sad to say - Golden Corral makes better desserts. The specialty restaurants seem to be better than the buffet - but how difficult is it to make tasty brownies???

Maybe it's just me - but everything always seems dry. :confused:

We got off the Dawn last Sunday. The chocolate buffet was from 7:30-10:30 (I think) on the 2nd to last night. As a suite guest, we were invited early(7:15??) It was pure chaos with some people acting like wild animals who hadn't eaten in days!! I grabbed a few things in the first line and left. I planned on going back later after the "wild crowd" left, but never got around to it. Oh, well!! What I did manage to get was okay.:( I could take it or leave it.

Up until about a year ago they were a pretty fancy affair. Then they changed the time to early evening and moved from the MDR to the buffet. That ended it for us. Not very fancy nor did it seem to be a "special occasion" as it did before. It made it much easier for the staff, but not so much for the guests. One of the things that NCL has changed that I really don't like.

We've sailed on the Spirit and the Pearl (twice) - and I want to say they were at around 10 PM - I have to say, I was disappointed - the desserts were beautiful, but I didn't find them very tasty. Sad to say - Golden Corral makes better desserts. The specialty restaurants seem to be better than the buffet - but how difficult is it to make tasty brownies???

Maybe it's just me - but everything always seems dry. :confused:

You said it !! Pretty but no flavor...very disappointing....next cruise I will not even show up at the buffet

We got off the Dawn last Sunday. The chocolate buffet was from 7:30-10:30 (I think) on the 2nd to last night. As a suite guest, we were invited early(7:15??) It was pure chaos with some people acting like wild animals who hadn't eaten in days!! I grabbed a few things in the first line and left. I planned on going back later after the "wild crowd" left, but never got around to it. Oh, well!! What I did manage to get was okay.:( I could take it or leave it.

Pure chaos is not even exaggerated... my god how many pounds of not so good tasting chocolate can you have ?? There is less chaos on lobster night !!! Don't get me wrong....I ADORE chocolate in any form...but in good tasting form....

On the Star in November it was at 10:00 or maybe even earlier. I know we didn't stay up until midnight for it. For those that go, please take note that most, if not all, of the fancy "exhibits" of chocolate sculptures that are spread around the room are clearly marked with a "do not touch" sign on the table and that the sign really should be respected. I watched as a man looked at one, made a comment about the sign, and then proceeded to break off a chunk of chocolate from it anyway. I picked up the sign and showed it to him. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders and walked on. My mom would call such a person a spoiled little brat.

On the Star in November it was at 10:00 or maybe even earlier. I know we didn't stay up until midnight for it. For those that go, please take note that most, if not all, of the fancy "exhibits" of chocolate sculptures that are spread around the room are clearly marked with a "do not touch" sign on the table and that the sign really should be respected. I watched as a man looked at one, made a comment about the sign, and then proceeded to break off a chunk of chocolate from it anyway. I picked up the sign and showed it to him. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders and walked on. My mom would call such a person a spoiled little brat.
Much worse and appropriate comes to mind other than "spoiled little brat" but we'll leave it at that. From the Jewel last year...

2zpnor5.jpg

Thanks for all the info I guess the bottom line for me is NO Chocolate Buffet on the Epic. From some of the comments on this thread it sounds like the ships that still have it shouldn't bother if it taste that bad I gotta tell when we were on the Sun in 08 we thought it was amazing

It was pretty to look at, but I was amazed at whatever process they used to remove any and all flavor from the chocolate!

It may be part of their secret plan to keep you from getting a tummy ache!:D

There was one little chocolate nut bar that was decent. The rest not so. I just don't understand. Why have a big hoopla with inferior chocolate desserts? Do they think we don't know the difference? Or do they just see those who grab, grab, grab and think all us pax are feeding at the trough? Think I'll pass. Or just go for pix of the sculptures since I am in a suite and can walk through early.

I wonder how he was feeling later & if he realized how old that chocolate might have been. Most of those "do not touch" pieces are used & re-used for lengthy periods of time. They don't remake them every week, they just put them in a cabinet until the next cruise.............

From some of the comments on this thread it sounds like the ships that still have it shouldn't bother if it taste that bad I gotta tell when we were on the Sun in 08 we thought it was amazing

There is still some good tasting chocolate at the chocolate buffet. It is a fact some looks better than it tastes. But not everything....

There is still some good tasting chocolate at the chocolate buffet. It is a fact some looks better than it tastes. But not everything....

The problem is you have to take a bite of 10 nasty items before you find one that is pleasant. I gave up on the chocolate buffet a couple years ago.

The problem is you have to take a bite of 10 nasty items before you find one that is decent. I gave up on the chocolate buffet a couple years ago.

Isn't that the truth - I keep wondering if it is because the chefs are foreign - maybe different tastes in chocolate? I thought it was just us that were less than impressed.

I have to say - overall, I haven't been unhappy with the food on NCL - I can always find something I like (I made some great salads at the buffet) - but the desserts always seem to be lacking. Good thing there's soft serve ice cream.

And the way people act at the chocolate buffet - like they haven't eaten in years. Last cruise - I went, left without anything and ate a prailine I had purchased in New Orleans before our cruise - I was just as happy.

And the way people act at the chocolate buffet - like they haven't eaten in years. Last cruise - I went, left without anything and ate a prailine I had purchased in New Orleans before our cruise - I was just as happy.

You do notice the glutony at the chocolate buffet as it is more obvious. However, people act this way at the other buffets in general. It is absolutely horrible and NCL must loose a lot of revenue in wasted food alone. The food that is wasted it sad to say the least.

Archived