Bringing Beer & soft drinks on board

Aline13

Are you able to bring canned beer/soft drinks either as a carry-on bag, or in a suitcase, and if it is in a carry-on, do they search your bags and will it be taken away for the duration of the cruise? I believe they will take away any alcohol that is purchased from the islands and deliver it the night before departure, but just wondering about the start of a cruise. We are leaving from Port Everglades on the Caribbean Princess in March.

On our last 10 day Caribbean cruise we stopped at the grocery store on the way to the ship and bought beer. We put a luggage tag on it and it was picked up with our luggage. Actually made it to the room before our luggage. No problem. Note: We kept this in our room and did not take out on deck.

Are you able to bring canned beer/soft drinks either as a carry-on bag, or in a suitcase, and if it is in a carry-on, do they search your bags and will it be taken away for the duration of the cruise? I believe they will take away any alcohol that is purchased from the islands and deliver it the night before departure, but just wondering about the start of a cruise. We are leaving from Port Everglades on the Caribbean Princess in March.

No problem in FLL. On our 3 cruises from there we have bought beer and wine at Total Wine/Publix and placed it right on the scanner belt in plain view with no problems or comments made. We put the liquor inside a carry on bag and it also goes right through.

Mike:)

On an Alaska cruise in 2008, My brother and I each bought a case of Coors Light in Skagway and walked it right on the boat...and straight to our Dad...who had hurt his leg the day before and decided to stay in the room for the rest of the trip.

From my FAQ:

Bringing Alchohol on Board

Currently, Princess allows passengers to bring wine and champagne on board. While their stated policy is one bottle per passenger, this is not typically enforced, however be aware it could be on any particular voyage. Princess has the right to limit the amount of bottles carried at any time, but not ban wine or champagne outright under the current terms of their contract.

Beer and other forms of liquor are not permitted. Again, this has been reported to typically not be enforced, but it is possible.

Bottles opened in a dining venue will be assessed a $15 corkage fee. There is no corkage fee for in-cabin consumption and wine glasses can be requested from your steward.

No problem in FLL. On our 3 cruises from there we have bought beer and wine at Total Wine/Publix and placed it right on the scanner belt in plain view with no problems or comments made. We put the liquor inside a carry on bag and it also goes right through.

Mike,

Please excuse me for bothering you, but I was wondering how you got to the Publix/Total Wine Store. We are flyng into FLL, and sailing from Port Everglades.

Does it cost a lot more to take a taxi to the store, and then have them wait while we go inside? The other couple may complain about causing a larger cab bill.

Do they sell wine in Publix?

Thank You,

Mark

Mike,

Please excuse me for bothering you, but I was wondering how you got to the Publix/Total Wine Store. We are flyng into FLL, and sailing from Port Everglades.

Does it cost a lot more to take a taxi to the store, and then have them wait while we go inside? The other couple may complain about causing a larger cab bill.

Thank You,

Mark

The shopping center with Publix and Total Wine is right on the way to the port -- maybe all of 2/10ths of a mile out of the way. It shouldn't cost too much to have a cab wait for you (and Total Wine will allow you to call ahead and have your order packed up and ready for you). I don't know if they sell wine in grocery stores in Florida, but the Total Wine would have cheaper prices anyway.

You can easily see where things are in relation to the airport and port by using Google Maps. Just do a search for Total Wine Ft. Lauderdale; it's the one on Cordova Raod.

Mike,

Thank You,

Mark

Sorry just saw your post. Yes we usually board and unload in the cabin and then take a taxi to Publix/Total Wine (about $6.40 each way). We don't ask the taxi to wait, just catch another when we are ready to leave.

Publix has nice wine/beer selection but you will need to go to Total Wine for the liquor. Both stores are in the same area.

From my FAQ:

Bringing Alchohol on Board

Currently, Princess allows passengers to bring wine and champagne on board. While their stated policy is one bottle per passenger, this is not typically enforced, however be aware it could be on any particular voyage. Princess has the right to limit the amount of bottles carried at any time, but not ban wine or champagne outright under the current terms of their contract.

Beer and other forms of liquor are not permitted. Again, this has been reported to typically not be enforced, but it is possible.

Bottles opened in a dining venue will be assessed a $15 corkage fee. There is no corkage fee for in-cabin consumption and wine glasses can be requested from your steward.

And that policy is being enforced on Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess, operating from Australia. From my experience the policy is rarely, if ever enforced on the American Princess ships, operating in regions out of Australasia, much to the ire of Aussies !

This question is slightly related to the topic. I have heard that you can bring a large pack of water bottles, about 24, and just tape a luggage tag on it and give it to the porters along with your bags. The water then is delivered to your room along with the luggage. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

This question is slightly related to the topic. I have heard that you can bring a large pack of water bottles, about 24, and just tape a luggage tag on it and give it to the porters along with your bags. The water then is delivered to your room along with the luggage. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

Correct no problems bringing on bulk water, we have done that, the Porters will get it on board. Just make sure you tag it with a luggage label !

Thanks

Yes, along with whatever soda (pop) you like. Always bring on board both, wide tape a luggage tag to them and they arrive with the luggage.

Soft drinks are permited.

Beer is against the rules. If they find it they take it. I don't think they usually look to hard.

Not true! Just off Crown today. Took 30 pack with luggage tag taped on it and it was delivered to room with bags. And we still had a healthy bar tab but was nice to watch football in room with our own beer.We saw others bringing it openly as well.

Soft drinks are permited.

Beer is against the rules. If they find it they take it. I don't think they usually look to hard.

Not true! Just off Crown today. Took 30 pack with luggage tag taped on it and it was delivered to room with bags.

It is true that it is against the rules.

Also true is that this rule is rarely enforced.

Had no problems with a 12 pack of 0.5L bottles of Diet Pepsi on our last cruise out of Port Everglades

Don't mean to hijack, but is it a major faux pas to bring my own soda to the non-specialty restaurants for meals? I have Anytime Dining if that matters. I like Diet Pepsi and prefer bottles to cans/fountain soda. Not a huge deal if it's a no-no; I'll just order something. This will be my first cruise, and I'm educating myself on little things so I'm not "that passenger" that gets the behind-the-back eye-roll.

Don't mean to hijack, but is it a major faux pas to bring my own soda to the non-specialty restaurants for meals? I have Anytime Dining if that matters. I like Diet Pepsi and prefer bottles to cans/fountain soda. Not a huge deal if it's a no-no; I'll just order something. This will be my first cruise, and I'm educating myself on little things so I'm not "that passenger" that gets the behind-the-back eye-roll.

I can't really say if it is a faux pas or not however I personally would feel uncomfortable bringing in a bottle. If it were me I'd consider getting a glass from the ship (maybe purchase one soda to get the glass), fill it in my cabin and take it to dinner.

Don't mean to hijack, but is it a major faux pas to bring my own soda to the non-specialty restaurants for meals? I have Anytime Dining if that matters. I like Diet Pepsi and prefer bottles to cans/fountain soda. Not a huge deal if it's a no-no; I'll just order something.

I have often brought in a can of soda to the dining room and the waiter has brought me a glass with ice. Often would even pour it for me. No corking fee.

Not even a minor faux pas.

Archived