Rum Runners out of LHR to serenade vis Dubai

Is anyone please able to share information about taking wine on a flight from London to RCCL ships, embarking in Dubai ???? Have been reading about Rum Runners/ inside sleeves from wine boxes, but can't find definitive answers. Has anyone actually done this and what were the results ?? Many thanks for genuine replies.

Please no snide comments from over zealous passengers- say nothing if you can't say anything nice !!!!!!!

We've used Rum Runners in our checked luggage on most of our cruises. The airlines don't care about wine in your checked luggage, if that's what you're asking. You can't take it in your carry-on, though.

Is anyone please able to share information about taking wine on a flight from London to RCCL ships, embarking in Dubai ???? Have been reading about Rum Runners/ inside sleeves from wine boxes, but can't find definitive answers. Has anyone actually done this and what were the results ?? Many thanks for genuine replies.

Please no snide comments from over zealous passengers- say nothing if you can't say anything nice !!!!!!!

You need to read their customs information and make your own decision.

http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/passengers/airportguide/Arrivals/Pages/Customs.aspx

Not sure what the question is exactly but if you're looking for a safe way to transport, we love our vinni bags to prevent breakage. Won't do much in the way of concealing what you have but that didn't really seem to be the question when I read it.vinnibag_anatomy.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Seems I'll need to contact the airline as I can't see anything specific to taking wine through the airport..unless I'm missing it somewhere. Thanks for the link.

I'm still not quite sure what you are asking :)

You can take 4l of wine into Dubai, but can only take two bottles/cabin on Royal Caribbean. Obviously (I hope it's obvious - 100ml only liquids etc!) you cannot carry it through airport security in London. So you have three choices:

- buy at home and pack in your checked luggage, taking the risk of breakage

- buy at Duty Free at your London airport and carry on to the aircraft

- buy in the Duty Free at arrivals in Dubai

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I should add that my reply assumes you are not Muslim.

I'm still not quite sure what you are asking :)

You can take 4l of wine into Dubai, but can only take two bottles/cabin on Royal Caribbean. Obviously (I hope - 100ml only liquids etc!) you cannot carry it through airport security in London. So you have three choices:

- buy at home and pack in your checked luggage, taking the risk of breakage

- buy at Duty Free at your London airport and carry on to the aircraft

- buy in the Duty Free at arrivals in Dubai

Hope that helps.

- buy it on the ship.

Sorry, can't help myself some times. I hate went people tell you not to comment if they don't want to hear what you have to say. :D

Thanks for the replies.....

Just to get the idiots' guide, does this mean.....

we can both carry 4 litres of wine into Dubai, packed in Rum Runners in hold baggage.(Rum runners in Ziploc bags)

Then leave them in the cases to take onto the ship.... hoping rum runners won't get spotted by security !!

Finally buy 2 x 750cl bottles at Heathrow departures and carry aboard in hand luggage.

????????

Thanks !

I'm a big believer in trying things. If you were embarking anywhere else, I'd say go for it. What's the worst thing that happens... your lose your wine? (and before anyone chimes in, no, RCI will not confiscate your ticket.)

But this is the UAE. I don't know what the laws are... nor what the consequences would be if caught trying to sneak alcohol onto a ship. But unless someone can tell you for 100% certain (and I mean 100%) there's no way I would take a chance.

Thanks, I'm inclined to agree with you about wine in UAE but was hoping someone could tell me it has been done pretty painlessly.

Used to Princess' easy going attitude to taking wine aboard ships, so was slightly confused by RCCL's 2 bottles per cabin.

Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for the replies.....

Just to get the idiots' guide, does this mean.....

we can both carry 4 litres of wine into Dubai, packed in Rum Runners in hold baggage.(Rum runners in Ziploc bags)

Then leave them in the cases to take onto the ship.... hoping rum runners won't get spotted by security !!

Finally buy 2 x 750cl bottles at Heathrow departures and carry aboard in hand luggage.

????????

Thanks !

Personally I would not risk breaking the law in Dubai, its one place where

I don't think they would let you off lightly if caught.

Its not just about RCL taking it from you as they normally would, in Dubai they really are strict about alcohol, do you really want to risk it just so you can have a few extra glasses of wine on the ship?

Julie

It's UAE, I'd follow their rules. Would never chance arrested, questioned, even searched there. Even if there was an allowable amount, I wouldn't put it in something like a rum runner.

I don't understand what is confusing about 2 bottles per cabin.

I´m not even talking about getting on the ship, but I have no idea how the UAE reacts on stuff in rum runners getting into their country via the airport.:eek:

They actually xray your bags upon arrival and you go through a security check and carry on xray upon arrival as well, just as we all know it upon departure.

Good luck trying and tell us the outcome, that´s if you are still able to.

I´m not even talking about getting on the ship, but I have no idea how the UAE reacts on stuff in rum runners getting into their country via the airport.:eek:

They actually xray your bags upon arrival and you go through a security check and carry on xray upon arrival as well, just as we all know it upon departure.

Good luck trying and tell us the outcome, that´s if you are still able to.

Anyone know if you can use your iPad in a Dubai jail. Do the have internet packages and is it as slow as the ship's? :D

Thank you for your highly amusing replies.. I nearly split my sides laughing !!

Someone posted above that you are allowed to take 4 litres of wine into Dubai, so was taking that post at face value. Was more concerned about taking it aboard the ship in 'Rum Runners', and then carrying aboard the 2 bottles per cabin purchased in duty free at Dubai airport

However, the consensus of opinion appears to be that it is not worth the hassle so we'll just bite the bullet ....so no need to get the Internet package from jail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I would not risk breaking the law in Dubai, its one place where

I don't think they would let you off lightly if caught.

Its not just about RCL taking it from you as they normally would, in Dubai they really are strict about alcohol, do you really want to risk it just so you can have a few extra glasses of wine on the ship?

Julie

That's why I only linked the OP to the customs information for Dubai. Not worth saving a few bucks to have much larger issues. I have a brother who was detained by customs last year at Heathrow for 3 hours and he was 100% in the right.

Archived