All things wi fi

i'm a bit confused....but this is a basic question. Do you have to pay the roaming fees through your carrier AND the ship's fees? or is it one or the other?

It is confusing, because cell phone communications have become complicated.

If you use the cellular network for data, then the charges and roaming fees (if applicable) will come from your cellular carrier.

If you use the ship's WiFi for data, then the ship will charge you fees for internet connection time.

Edited by clarea

i'm a bit confused....but this is a basic question. Do you have to pay the roaming fees through your carrier AND the ship's fees? or is it one or the other?

You cannot connect calls through the ship's WiFi. Cell phone service is contracted with Wireless Maritime Services. On my Verizon Galaxy S3 calls were billed at $2.49 a minute. If your phone has WiFi you can use the ship's WiFi for data and Internet connectivity. The best plan available on the Oasis was 500 minutes for $150.00 which they claimed worked out to $.30 minute. As a former math teacher the numbers don't quite work out for me but whatever. Hope this helps.

ah ok...i think i understand. now to figure out which will be cheaper.

Figuring out which is cheaper depends on what functions you would like to peform with the phone:

1) Voice calls

2) SMS Texts (text only, no photo/video, no groups)

3) MMS texts (text with photo/video, group texts)

4) Data (email, Facebook, other apps)

wscott52, i have the same phone, with T-Mobile. and would be using it for data only, no phone calls.

clarea, just data. i will be on Freedom and Tmobile's website shows a rate of $5.99 per minute for int'l roaming AND $15 per MB...the give rates specifically for indiv cruise ships. i'm thinking this is not using the ships wifi at all, and just their int'l internet service.

well now i'm more confused.

wscott52, i have the same phone, with T-Mobile. and would be using it for data only, no phone calls.

clarea, just data. i will be on Freedom and Tmobile's website shows a rate of $5.99 per minute for int'l roaming AND $15 per MB...the give rates specifically for indiv cruise ships. i'm thinking this is not using the ships wifi at all, and just their int'l internet service.

well now i'm more confused.

If you intend to leave you phone on all the time, with data enabled, you will likely have a large cell phone bill at $15 per MB.

I'd put the phone into airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on and use the ship's internet. The ship's internet is billed at $0.75 per minute of connect time, and you will be able to connect and disconnect at will, so there will be no surprises as far as your bill goes. You will be able to check your charges on your television in the stateroom.

Also - if you do intend on using data while cruising and don't care about the charges, be sure to let your carrier know. I went to Honduras earlier in the year and my data plan got suspended due to high usage rates as they didn't know I would be out of the country.

I wish the would keep Wi fi OUT of the Solarium.If you need to be on the internet,the best place is in your cabin.Why this need for constant communication? Its supposed to be a vacation .

I can't fathom why it would bother you if I am on the Internet in the Solarium. On my vacation I want Wi Fi in the Solarium. My vacation is mine. None of your business to nanny what I do on it and if I communicate. If it bothers you that people are on the Internet in the Solarium I suggest you stay in your cabin!

Hi JackAZ,

I created this thread as an information space for those who need /want to use wi fi on board an RCCL ship. There is also good information regarding cell phone use.

On a ship without pervasive internet the solarium is one of the hotspots where a guest can go online. No other guest is impacted. I do not have to justify why I am online and neither does anyone else.

I do appreciate that you don't understand a need to go online. Just accept that some people do need to. If you have questions there are many here happy to answer and help you.

I wish the would keep Wi fi OUT of the Solarium.If you need to be on the internet,the best place is in your cabin.Why this need for constant communication? Its supposed to be a vacation .

What possible difference can it make to you whether I am sitting on a lounger in the Solarium reading a book on my ipad, or surfing the internet on my ipad? How I spend MY vacation is MY business! Not everyone wants to be disconnected from the rest of the world on their vacation. :)

You cannot connect calls through the ship's WiFi.

Not exactly true. You cannot connect CELL phone calls through the ship's wifi but you CAN connected wi-fi calls via the ships wi-fi. I have used Skype and Talkatone to call landlines and send texts.

thanks for the info. sounds like airplane mode and using ship's wifi when needed is the best option.

being 'connected' isn't a negative thing...it's 2013 after all. we're not talking about having a conversation in a movie theater :/

There are wifi spots you could go to? There's also an internet lounge right?

There will be an area called 'RCCL online' with ship PCs. You will need to register your seapass card at one of these PCs for billing purposes. The hot spots will be at specific sites around the ship. There will be a list at Guest Services of where these are and with instructions on how to set up the account.

From the UK website today :

The Radiance, Splendour, Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Oasis and Allure of the Seas offer ship wide coverage, including staterooms.

Coverage on all other ships will be limited to designated "Hot Spots."

The cost for Wi-fi access through your own device is:

The basic rate is USD 0.65 per minute or choose from one of our pre-paid packages:

USD 35.00 for 60 minutes

USD 55.00 for 100 minutes

USD 75.00 for 150 minutes

USD 100.00 for 250 minutes

USD 150.00 for 500 minutes

Edited by NorbertsNiece

From the UK website today :

The Radiance, Splendour, Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Oasis and Allure of the Seas offer ship wide coverage, including staterooms.

Coverage on all other ships will be limited to designated "Hot Spots."

The cost for Wi-fi access through your own device is:

The basic rate is USD 0.65 per minute or choose from one of our pre-paid packages:

USD 35.00 for 60 minutes

USD 55.00 for 100 minutes

USD 75.00 for 150 minutes

USD 100.00 for 250 minutes

USD 150.00 for 500 minutes

I have never seen a different charge for using your own device than for using a ships computer. That is what I see implied here.

We will be on Indy for a TA in November and will need to keep in touch with the kids. A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know if the wifi packages will stay the same for the TA?

2) Does Facetime on the iPads work on the wifi?

Thanks!

Edited by The Sunset Glow

We will be on Indy for a TA in November and will need to keep in touch with the kids. A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know if the wifi packages will stay the same for the TA?

2) Does Facetime on the iPads work on the wifi?

Thanks!

I don't know if packages will stay the same, but I don't think Facetime or other high bandwidth applications will function over the current satellite based internet. They are usually blocked.