The "No Promises" Live From- Star Princess- January 30, 2013. 'Round the Horn

TracieABD

We just got off the cruise before this one (goes the other way). TracieABD's comments are similar to what we experienced. The Falklands weather was a Force 11 that day, although the seas were not bad, some rain, but mostly the wind kept us from tendering. Very unfortunate, but with the weather deteriorating, the Capt announced the no go. I will suggest here that if you want to see penguins, you have 3 port opportunities. We decided to go with 2 opportunities, the Volunteer Pt tour, cancelled, and Port Madryn, good, but go on a private tour as you will get there before the busloads from the ship. It gets very crowded as everyone is kept on boardwalks, and it is not that much of a area. So we ended up with only one penguin tour. Others on our ship took the Madgellan Island ferry at Punta Arenas and enjoyed it very much. However, the weather was excellent that day, not always the case, and it is a 2 hr ferry ride each way. We were sorry we did not take the tour.

It was discussed on a number of times by other pax that they were very disappointed in the food in the buffet and main dining rooms. We totally agreed this was the some of the worst cruise food in over 50 cruises. Mostly tasteless and bland, even the Indian choices. Strangely, the lobster was very good. We had a hard time choosing an item from the menu most nights. Very surprising, because we always considered Princess to have pretty good food, but then it has been about 4 yrs since we sailed on them. We had just gotten off Celebrity Summit in December and the food was great, as usual. Don't know what the problem was, but we did note it on our survey. The pizza was even bad and I remember thinking it was great on our last Princess cruise.

A number of people thought the shows' quality was disappointing. We don't go to them, but the Tango Quintet and the tango dance couple were terrific. The band in the Wheelhouse were from Punta Arenas and played a variety of US and SA music which we enjoyed most nights.

Disembarking in Buenos Aires was a mess. We counted 6 other large ships in port from Deck 15 on the Star, and if there were any smaller ones we couldn't see them. We decided to take the ship's shuttle to the Marriott in center city and take a cab to our hotel from there. The Star had warned pax about the mess to be expected, and the long line for cabs at the port. The ship's berth had been taken with a cargo ship, so we were several hours late docking, probably a number of people with earlier flights missed them. The Brits were taking fault for it as an Argentinian payback.:)

Well sorry, I didn't mean to go on so much. But I did want to agree with Tracie and also give some future cruisers a few tips that might make a difference in their cruise.

We just got off the cruise before this one (goes the other way).

<<snip>>

Disembarking in Buenos Aires was a mess. We counted 6 other large ships in port from Deck 15 on the Star, and if there were any smaller ones we couldn't see them. We decided to take the ship's shuttle to the Marriott in center city and take a cab to our hotel from there. The Star had warned pax about the mess to be expected, and the long line for cabs at the port. The ship's berth had been taken with a cargo ship, so we were several hours late docking, probably a number of people with earlier flights missed them. The Brits were taking fault for it as an Argentinian payback.:)

Well sorry, I didn't mean to go on so much. But I did want to agree with Tracie and also give some future cruisers a few tips that might make a difference in their cruise.

We'll be boarding the Star Princess for the next cruise, departing from Valparaiso. Thanks for your comments. Right now I'm particularly interested in your comments about disembarkation in Buenos Aires, having read about serious hassles and over-charges from taxis at the port. We'll be spending a few days in BA after the cruise so we will need to go from the port to our hotel-- could you say more about the ship's shuttle to the Marriott? Is this free? Can it accommodate luggage? Do you have to make a reservation for this? If so, when is that done?

Thanks...

It was discussed on a number of times by other pax that they were very disappointed in the food in the buffet and main dining rooms. We totally agreed this was the some of the worst cruise food in over 50 cruises. Mostly tasteless and bland, even the Indian choices. Strangely, the lobster was very good. We had a hard time choosing an item from the menu most nights. Very surprising, because we always considered Princess to have pretty good food, but then it has been about 4 yrs since we sailed on them. We had just gotten off Celebrity Summit in December and the food was great, as usual. Don't know what the problem was, but we did note it on our survey. The pizza was even bad and I remember thinking it was great on our last Princess cruise.

A number of people thought the shows' quality was disappointing. We don't go to them, but the Tango Quintet and the tango dance couple were terrific. The band in the Wheelhouse were from Punta Arenas and played a variety of US and SA music which we enjoyed most nights.

I guess there's no accounting for taste. We, too, were on this cruise and disagree about the food. We generally enjoyed the new menus, thought the pastas, soups, and breads were excellent, most main courses good to very good, and thought the pizza was as delicious as ever (although some of the pizzas of the day had either anchovies or tuna a bit too often for my tastes). Desserts were underwhelming, however, lacking in variety and interest (and I have a big sweet tooth).

The bigger entertainment acts were rather weak, especially the hypnotist, Fernandez (whom I saw before). And the 30-min. production shows were just OK (only really enjoyed the 2 female vocalists). The cruise staff was fun (although the CD, Billy London, was hardly visible), and we had lots of fun in the various name that tune and multiple trivia games. We had a group of "Smarty Pants" as well on board-I wonder if it's the same group who stayed on board this voyage?!

Disembarkation was the worst we ever experienced in 11 cruises. Our Princess-sponsored city tour and transfer to the airport was delayed over 90 minutes (despite our hours-long delay in arrival), as we were ushered from place to place and bus to bus before we snaked through the chaotic bus staging area of the port to a bus parked a distance away to finally begin our shortened city tour. To top it off, the bus's microphone did not work, so the poor tour guide had to repeat everything twice so that all passengers could hear her description. Luckily, we made it to the airport in plenty of time and our luggage was waiting for us there. Sorry to hijack this thread, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Hi All-

First off, I would like to apologize for all of my spelling errors. That is what I get for not editing. And, yes, I do know better... Shhhhh, Don't tell my mom.

I spoke with the Captain's Circle Hostess, Graziella, from Brazil. She was super friendly. I asked her for the stats, and here they are...

Drumroll, please!

Platinum- 368

Elite- 79 (this is not a typo!)

TL

The Elites are probably all on the 49 day Grand Princess that sailed from Ft. Lauderdale on Jan. 26th around the horn to SF.

We'll be boarding the Star Princess for the next cruise, departing from Valparaiso. Thanks for your comments. Right now I'm particularly interested in your comments about disembarkation in Buenos Aires, having read about serious hassles and over-charges from taxis at the port. We'll be spending a few days in BA after the cruise so we will need to go from the port to our hotel-- could you say more about the ship's shuttle to the Marriott? Is this free? Can it accommodate luggage? Do you have to make a reservation for this? If so, when is that done?

Thanks...

The ship's shuttle was offered a few days before the end of the trip. The papers are given to you by your attendant, along with other shore excursions for BA. (There is also a shuttle offered to the airport.) You must sign up for it and it is $10 pp. Tix are delivered to your cabin. The shuttle goes to the Marriott which is center city, near Florida St for you shoppers, and the Intercontinental. The bus guide asked each person on the bus what their hotel was and he could give you a good idea of the cab fare from the Marriott. He told us our B&B would be about 50 pesos, and he was correct. It was easy to get a cab on the street at the Marriott. We waited about 2 min. The cabs want pesos, so get them in Puerto Madryn. We only got 500 pesos, about $100, there. Enough to get around the first day in BA. ATM's are found on the big avenues outside banks.

The disembarkation was a true mess. The hotel shuttle buses have no signs to identify them from other airport or tour buses.???? Of course, everyone had large bags and trying to get thru hundreds of others trying to find their bus was awful. You have to ask and make sure the bus you put your bags on is going where you want. The drivers themselves don't really speak English and are busy putting the bags in the bottom of the buses. Just keep asking and look for a guide near the buses. They speak English. If you decide to forgo that and get a cab, be prepared for a long wait in line. There is no shade or water and it was at least 90 deg. BA is hot, and that day it was very humid too.

Buenos Aires is a cash society, and many restaurants, etc, will not take credit cards, although the big tourists ones will, but we don't eat at them. The Subte, or subway is cheap, about 50 cents a ride (pesos only)(we always found a cashier for the tix), but is not always useful, for example it does not go to Recoleta. And as we found out the hard way, the A line is closed for several months and it is the line that services the Plaza de Mayo. However cabs are plentiful and cheap. The only problem is at night they often cannot change a 100 peso note, which is only about $20, so keep that in mind and hold on to your small notes, change your bigger ones asap. We never had any trouble with shifty type cab drivers. The buses are good, but you have to have coins and they are hard to come by, we never had enough for even the cheap ride on them. However, BA is flat, so walking is easy. Our B&B only wanted dollars, because of the peso fluctuations. They did not take credit cards. The tourist markets will take dollars sometime.

Thanks for your "live from" as enjoying reliving some of our cruise around the Horn last year on Star Princess. Sorry you didn't make it into Stanley and sounds like the weather this season is not cooperating there. Glad you got to see penguins and hopefully you'll have more opportunities coming up as was one of our favorite things from our cruise a year ago.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The ship's shuttle was offered a few days before the end of the trip. The papers are given to you by your attendant, along with other shore excursions for BA. (There is also a shuttle offered to the airport.) You must sign up for it and it is $10 pp. Tix are delivered to your cabin. The shuttle goes to the Marriott which is center city, near Florida St for you shoppers, and the Intercontinental. The bus guide asked each person on the bus what their hotel was and he could give you a good idea of the cab fare from the Marriott. He told us our B&B would be about 50 pesos, and he was correct. It was easy to get a cab on the street at the Marriott. We waited about 2 min. The cabs want pesos, so get them in Puerto Madryn. We only got 500 pesos, about $100, there. Enough to get around the first day in BA. ATM's are found on the big avenues outside banks.

The disembarkation was a true mess. The hotel shuttle buses have no signs to identify them from other airport or tour buses.???? Of course, everyone had large bags and trying to get thru hundreds of others trying to find their bus was awful. You have to ask and make sure the bus you put your bags on is going where you want. The drivers themselves don't really speak English and are busy putting the bags in the bottom of the buses. Just keep asking and look for a guide near the buses. They speak English. If you decide to forgo that and get a cab, be prepared for a long wait in line. There is no shade or water and it was at least 90 deg. BA is hot, and that day it was very humid too.

Buenos Aires is a cash society, and many restaurants, etc, will not take credit cards, although the big tourists ones will, but we don't eat at them. The Subte, or subway is cheap, about 50 cents a ride (pesos only)(we always found a cashier for the tix), but is not always useful, for example it does not go to Recoleta. And as we found out the hard way, the A line is closed for several months and it is the line that services the Plaza de Mayo. However cabs are plentiful and cheap. The only problem is at night they often cannot change a 100 peso note, which is only about $20, so keep that in mind and hold on to your small notes, change your bigger ones asap. We never had any trouble with shifty type cab drivers. The buses are good, but you have to have coins and they are hard to come by, we never had enough for even the cheap ride on them. However, BA is flat, so walking is easy. Our B&B only wanted dollars, because of the peso fluctuations. They did not take credit cards. The tourist markets will take dollars sometime.

Thanks for your reply regarding the shuttle as well as all the additional information-- lots of useful stuff!

Hi Tracie:

I am enjoying your "almost daily update"s on your cruise. My wife and I will be on the Star in April to Hawaii. I was wondering if you have had a chance or plan to go to the Crown Grill or Sabatini's. Just curious. I know food is subjective to each person, your thoughts would be appreciated. If you don't want to comment on food that is OK too.

Hi all,

It has been a bumpy ride. For the first part the ship went side to side, then the captain turned into the headwind and we started going up and down. I am wear inning my psychologically suggestive Sea Band and swallowing ginger capsules like it is my job. So far so good. I guess I really did find my sea legs in Alaska. Also, there have been no sick bags posted in the halls, but the dining rooms are pretty empty.

Let's talk a bit about dining... This cruise is a reverse of other cruises I have been on. The late dining is the highest requested. Our dining staff says they don't get through until ten or eleven each night. I have mentioned it before, but I love our waiters, Napolean and Denis. They are making the so so food so much more enjoyable. I had the pad Thai last night. One word- don't. Trust me. Really... I think the desserts have been great. I still have not been to the buffet. On a high note, I had a stuffed yellow pepper for lunch that was absolutely delicious. I will say, I don't cruise for the food, so it is not a huge issue for me.

I think it was Albert Einstein who said, "instantly is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different result." With that said, I keep going back to trivia. Maybe it is more out of curiosity than skill who know. But here is a true story. Yesterday we had a question that asked us to name the creature with the largest eyes. We answered the giant squid as did the Smarty Pants. The CD said the answer is a horse. OK. Whatever. We weren't going to win anyway. This morning I went to the sudoku challenge and two of the Smarty Pants were there, 16 hours later, arguing with a different CD about the giant squid. Really, folks, its over. Let it go. I am still shaking my head...

We rounded the Horn today. Very cool. It is hard to explain, but the idea is so much greater than the actual visual. Don't get me wrong, I am not ungrateful. What you see are some bumpy islands and a house. But what you feel is one of those, oh wow moments. I have now been as far south as I will probably ever go in my lifetime. AND I have a certificate to prove it!

Tomorrow is Ushuaia. We have a private tour booked with Gerardo Germaine. He comes highly recommended. I will get to go to the "end of the Earth" with my mom. How cool it that?!?!? This is an awesome cruise. I am super happy to be on it.

More later,

TL

PS I have not eaten in the Crown Grill or Sabitinis yet. I will let you know when and if I do!

For everyone out there who hasn't googled or queried "ask.com" this question (creature with the largest eyes), both sites say the giant squid has the largest eyes. So Tracie, your team and Smarty Pants were right, and the CD and the CD staff are wrong! How do they get their answers?

I never play Trivia on the ships. It would just make me feel stupid...:p

In the one trivia game I attended, there were a couple of rules. First, the CD is ALWAYS right.

Second, if there is any doubt, see rule No. 1.

They also said that the answers come from trivial pursuit (some edition) so, if the trivial pursuit is wrong, too bad.....remember Moops...

They must ask that "largest eyes" question on every ship for trivia. Our answer was the giant squid.

I am enjoying your review Tracie! We are doing this next March but on a competitor's cruise lol. After finally making platinum we are going on another cruise line would you believe. I am really studying your reviews so I can pick up some pointers especially on the private tours. Thanks so much for posting and I look forward to the rest of your posts.

On the cruise we were on two years ago, there was a question concerning one of airports in Southern California. I can't remember the exact question, but everyone in my group grew up in So Cal and we knew he didn't have the right answer. But he said he was going by the Columbia Encyclopedia (or something like that), so no point for us on that one. I can understand that they want to cut down on the disputes, but that reference source was wrong.

Thank you for your enjoyable and informative posts.

Quick question on clothing.....can you make suggestions on must haves or what you are finding you need given the changing temperatures?

Any feedback on footwear in ports?

Boarding the Star next week and just starting my packing

Thank you for your enjoyable and informative posts.

Quick question on clothing.....can you make suggestions on must haves or what you are finding you need given the changing temperatures?

Any feedback on footwear in ports?

Boarding the Star next week and just starting my packing

We were there last year. Would suggest a long sleeve, poly or silk undershirt. They are very light to pack and very useful in the cool damp, breezy weather around the tip of SA.

We wore regular sturdy non mesh sneakers or sport shoes in port and on the ship during the cool days.

We brought our Gore Tex rain jacket shells and used them as an outer layer.

We also brought, actually wore on the plane, zippered hoodie jackets. We lived in them.

Hi all-

Sorry I missed a day. I was exhausted.

Yesterday we went to Ushuaia. We did a private tour to the Tierra del Fuego National Park to see the "end of the world". Not quite why this would be the end of the world, maybe we could be more optimistic and positive and call it the beginning of the world???? Just a thought. We used a private taxi with Gerardo Germaine. He was right there at the dock to meet us. He took us where we wanted to go and his English was great. I would highly recommend him. We reached him in advance by email which is -- gerardo_ush@hotmail.com. Totally worth the price.

Ushuaia is such a beautiful town. The mountains are stunning and folks who live there look out their front door and see the ocean, and look out their back door to see the mountains. It is hard to believe that it was a prison colony until the '60's. Gorgeous.

Today was Punta Arenas in Chile. I went off on my own. I walked to the the town square to "touch the toe" (for someone who is as OCD as I am, this was an adventure.) There is a statue in the center of Punta Arenas. Legend has it, if you touch the toe, you will return to this spot. Ok. I'm game. Punta Arenas is almost a beautiful as Ushuaia, so I would like to come back. After geocaching, I walked up a big hill to see Punta Arenas. So lovely. Next, I stopped to exchange a little money. I gave them a little and got a whole bunch back! The exchange rate is $ 1 to 500 Chilean pesos. Wow! I found a little shop to get my nails done. The manicurist was first rate, seriously. And it cost $10, which beats the $40 on the boat. By the way, this is a tender port, and all went very smoothly. As a matter of fact, Princess has done a superb job of getting people on and off of the ship. We have never waited. Not once. I guess that makes up for the boon-doggle in Buenos Aires.

I made my way back to the ship, had a little lunch and did some laundry. I love the laundry rooms on the ships. I can be like blood-sport in there. I am serious. I once saw a near fist fight on the CB because some dude touched another dudes stuff. Chill people. Really.

Sadly, I have not played trivia for a few days. I have just not made it down there. I am certain they are still giving cheesy prizes in my absence, We have two consecutive sea days, so I am hoping to work a little in. Keeps me humble.

I want to mention the service on this ship. This has been the best service we have ever had. I don't think there is a grumpy person on board. Everyone is so pleasant and gracious. It is amazing if you smile and say hello, just how friendly the staff can be. We may just live on board.

Part 2

I have to find my mother now. She is somewhere in Punta Arenas. She has an hour to make it back to the ship. She is not a jogger, so I am hoping she is on her way!

More later-

TL

PS- Someone asked about what to pack--- in a word--- EVERYTHING. I have had on short sleeves and capris, and thermals a hat and gloves (OK, smart-alecks-- I had on jeans and a sweater too). I ended up taking two large suitcases, and I have worn most of what I brought. I did think in layers, and that is working well for me.

Archived