Dress Code for Men

FlightMedic555

FlightMedic555 -

thanks for the break-down! - we'll be on our first Oceania cruise this upcoming May and are very excited about it! - after sailing Regent and Crystal for the past several years, my husband is used to taking jackets/suits - but no suit for him this trip! - although he will still bring a jacket or two as he does like to wear them to the dining rooms - it's a change from our "ordinary lives" (mechanics typically don't wear suits! LOL) -

janis

Thank you very much for a firsthand, description of what men were actually wearing.

I read the post to DH, and I think this is one of the most exciting parts of our trip. He will pack some long sleeved button-downs, polo shirts, trousers and shorts!

What a great packing list for a man. No muss, no fuss. Will look relaxed, yet comfortable and very presentable.

Thanks again.

Interesting point. I have always referred to button down shirts as long or short sleeved cotton shirts with button down collars. My 20 something sons refer to all pressed cotton shirts with buttons up the front as button down shirts. By the way, button down collars have NEVER gone out of style. Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren button down collar shirts are as popular as ever, either for wear with jackets and suits or more colorful, casual versions. I prefer a button down collar to a spread collar when not wearing a tie because they lay so nicely while spread collars can go flat or fly up.

I don't understand when the phrase "button down shirt" started. Why is it not just a "button shirt"? After all, the buttons can go either up or down. The "button down collar" makes sense as the collar is "buttoned down"

Thank you very much for a firsthand, description of what men were actually wearing.

I read the post to DH, and I think this is one of the most exciting parts of our trip. He will pack some long sleeved button-downs, polo shirts, trousers and shorts!

What a great packing list for a man. No muss, no fuss. Will look relaxed, yet comfortable and very presentable.

Thanks again.

I can hopefully make this even easier for your DH :)

As I am somewhat color blind, all I own is black shorts - they go with everything. Same with my khaki pants - they go with every color shirt.

DW likes dressing me in whatever shade she likes at the moment or this year or this decade. Red, Blue Purple, colors I don't even know :).

all I do is pick a shirt to go with my pants or shorts and I am dressed :)

slacks and a shirt and he is dressed for dinner, a sports coat or blazer makes him "extra dressed up." There will be guys in suits and or ties...maybe they feel more comfortable that way, or the wife likes them to "dress up for dinner." Mine does, and that's when I add the blazer to my outfit.

But nobody pays attention....it's not like other cruise lines with their formal nights where if you didn't wear a tux, you may have felt out of place....not like that at all.

and that seems to be a reflection of the wonderful crowd Oceania draws.

hope this helps...enjoy your cruise

My DH loves and lives in his Sperry Docker shoes...he has SO many color combos. Will these be good even on the nights he does wear jacket, linen type with chinos and shirt? I cannot get him to consider dress shoes. But he wants those darn Sperry's to m

The FAQ simply says:

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Find the FAQ on the Oceania website - it is carefully hidden under Guest Services at the top of the Oceania website - beside where it says English.

My DH loves and lives in his Sperry Docker shoes...he has SO many color combos. Will these be good even on the nights he does wear jacket, linen type with chinos and shirt? I cannot get him to consider dress shoes. But he wants those darn Sperry's to m
There was a discussion a few years ago about boat shoes. I said I love them and wear them frequently. A really classy lady (I've seen her on in formal wear on Regent) responded, "They're OK as long as you do NOT wear socks with them :)". I agreed that socks are formal wear; I think I last wore them at my daughter's wedding (slight exaggeration).

Seriously, Tansey Mews quoted the FAQ perfectly. I noticed a change from past dress code descriptions that barred sandals, so I checked the documentation that recently arrived for my April cruise. That states:

For your comfort and convenience, the ambiance is casual but elegant throughout the cruise. Country club and resort style attire is appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country club-casual dress code. Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals [emphasis added] are not permitted in the Grand Ding Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana. Terrace Cafe excludes [sic] a resort casual ambiance, dressy shorts and casual shirts may be worn in the evenings. Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of our restaurants at anytime.

Attire ashore is recommended to be causal and comfortable and we place a particular emphasis on appropriate footwear, including good walking shoes and in some destinations, reef-walkers and beach sandals. some tourist sites may require specific attire. Please consult with Destination Services for more information.

I note that deck shoes or boat shoes are not considered athletic footwear or sandals, so they are permitted.

There has always been questions about sandals, especially among the ladies. The fact is that any footwear that doesn't look like Dollar Store flip-flops seems to pass muster. Some will not wear obviously extra-casual sandals no matter the cost. Reasonably dressy sandals, which does not necessarily mean glitz, are generally considered to be acceptable.

Over the years, I've moved on from always wearing boat shoes to frequently wearing sandals. I have a pair of very casual Clarks that would not be appropriate for the GDR because my toes are not all that attractive. However I have a new pair of Fisherman closed toe sandals with a raised heel that are very dressy. I may test their acceptance in April. I already slightly flaunt the dress code by wearing a dressy t-shirt with a sports coat; I get away with it because the jacket has a collar ;).

The too-casual sandals: The reasonably dressy sandals:

31_63391_2.jpgaetre322252_100896_fs.jpg

Funny, I always wear Sperry Top siders around both on and off the ship during the day mostly. The typical price for a pair runs around $75.00 these days and is likely made in China. I was a little surprised when in NYC recently, we went into a Sperry store and found that they sell the "original" Sperry Top Sider, with all parts made in the USA to original specs. The price: a cool $350!

I think that perhaps you have to be an old school preppie to choose that pair!

Funny, I always wear Sperry Top siders around both on and off the ship during the day mostly. The typical price for a pair runs around $75.00 these days and is likely made in China. I was a little surprised when in NYC recently, we went into a Sperry store and found that they sell the "original" Sperry Top Sider, with all parts made in the USA to original specs. The price: a cool $350!

I think that perhaps you have to be an old school preppie to choose that pair!

The things we learn on CC...Thanks, Danny

Well, I wear sandals ... and I'm pretty sure I've worn a sandal that looks a lot like Hondoner's "too casual" sandal. 'Course, I wear nylons with them ....

I also have a low heeled sandal that I often wear to dinner, but since I've had knee surgery I really avoid any kind of heel ... hence, the sandals.

Mura

Well, I wear sandals ... and I'm pretty sure I've worn a sandal that looks a lot like Hondoner's "too casual" sandal. 'Course, I wear nylons with them ....

I also have a low heeled sandal that I often wear to dinner, but since I've had knee surgery I really avoid any kind of heel ... hence, the sandals.

Mura

Betsy wears the strappy casual sandals also, and also never wears heels. When I said they were "too casual", I meant for guys -- there's something about men's toes that folks think ugly. But, the Fisherman sandals are closed toe, and just play a bit of peek-a-boo with my big piggy, and if I (horrors) wore brown socks with them no one would notice they are sandals. We'll see. We're due to sail Celebrity in March, before our April Riviera voyage, and I'm giggling a bit when I think about wearing a suit on formal night -- with my sandals...:cool:

• 1 month later...

We're back from that Celebrity cruise I described in my prior post. I wore my Clark's strap sandals every day, and wore the dressy closed-toes Fisherman sandals every evening except the first formal night. Unsure what to expect, I packed a bloack sports coat, black slacks and black penny loafers, which I wore the first formal night (of 3), and even (gasp!) a tie! However, after assessing the dress of the meni rest of tjhe dining room on that first formal night, I came up with a count of about 20 tuxedos (maybe 1%), perhaps 20% with dark suits, about 20% with no jacket or tie, and the rest with sports coats.

So, I joined the majority -- chinos, black sports coat and no tie, and my dressy sandals! I wasn't the only one wearing the sandals.

Since we travel with carry-on luggage only, it was a struggle to get that extra pair of shoes into the suitcase. The sandals crush down nicely. They looked nice. I remarked to Betsy that if Oceania allowed sandals in the dining rooms, I would have no trouble packing.

So, with my upcoming Riviera cruise less than 10 days away, I looked up Oceania's current dress code. Guess what? It's been greatl;y simplified: Q: Is there a dress code? A: Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

No longer any mention of sandals...

P1050191%20%28Small%29.JPG

We take our first Celebrity cruise in May, and Don, your posts about your recent trip made me giggle, but also made me feel we'll be just fine with our regular O-wear aboard Celebrity.

I just finished reading two threads about the dress code aboard Celebrity. Seems they have a couple "formal" nights aboard each cruise, and I love the questions on their board - "are long pants at dinner really required?" "can my son wear smart shorts and a white shirt to formal night?"

Sorry, guys, but our beloved O folks are boring in comparison. The last post I read on the Celebrity dress code thread said Celebrity was moving toward a "clothing optional" dress code.:eek::eek: Somehow, I suspect that is not exactly what the poster meant to say.:p;)

The last post I read on the Celebrity dress code thread said Celebrity was moving toward a "clothing optional" dress code.:eek::eek:

You just never know

They may be trying to attract a different class of passengers :D

Lyn

Someone on our Celebrity cruise has gone to the trouble of setting up a really elaborate website and over 100 photos of cruisers submitted (including ourselves). Like O, there are few under 60, and only a couple under 50. Believe me, no one wants to see this group on the wrong side of "clothing optional"!:p

• 3 weeks later...
We're back from that Celebrity cruise I described in my prior post. I wore my Clark's strap sandals every day, and wore the dressy closed-toes Fisherman sandals every evening except the first formal night.

...I remarked to Betsy that if Oceania allowed sandals in the dining rooms, I would have no trouble packing.

So, with my upcoming Riviera cruise less than 10 days away, I looked up Oceania's current dress code. Guess what? It's been greatl;y simplified: Q: Is there a dress code? A: Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

No longer any mention of sandals...

P1050191%20%28Small%29.JPG

So Don, hope you give those sandals a try! They look really nice, and I've always thought the "no sandals for men at dinner" was a rather stupid rule.

Got off the Regatta in Lima last week and I had concerns about the dress code prior to the trip. I thought I will pass along my thoughts.

For the Captain's reception about 75% of the men were wearing sport coats and of them, maybe 10% a suit with a tie. Those without sport coats (me) were universally wearing nice pants with a button down shirt.

In the grand dining room about 25% of the men would show up in a sport coat, about 50% with dockers or nicer pants with a button down shirt, and about 25% with dockers and a golf polo shirt.

In Polo and Toscana at least 50% of the men were wearing sport coats and the rest had nice pants and a button down shirt. If you wore a golf type polo shirt you would be the odd man out and might be uncomfortable.

In the Terrace Cafe anything goes. Even at night shorts and any shirt were fairly common although long pants and a collared shirt was worn by 75% of the men.

If I sailed on this ship again I would probably leave the sport coat at home (as I did this time) but I did feel a little uncomfortable without it the evening we were invited to dine with the captain.

Thanks for the statistics here. We are going to Alaska, so the sport coat would add a bit of warmth. My wife however is more curious as to how the ladies dressed. "Country Club Casual" seems a bit to vague. Can she get away with pants and a nice blouse? She hates heels.

Archived