What do you use for a toiletry travel organizer?

C-breeze

I use to have an organizer that I got in Penneys. It was called Going Somewhere. I loved it as it had separate pockets for everything. Both sides came out of the bag (held in by velcro) and could be hung. I cannot find it anywhere and since mine is 14 years old, I thought I would get a new one.

Any suggestions for me?

I use ziplock bags, as I like to pack light, take carryons only and all these organizers take up space. There are many different brands of hanging organizers. I frequently see them at Marshalls, Ross, etc. I have one from Vera Bradley that's quite pretty, but I never use it.

I have to be able to "see" what is in my toiletry bags. I have found nice sized square ones in Walmart or Target. I have one just for meds, few OTC cold items, small items like bandaids, etc. The other is for make up and the third is for "other"(cream rinse, tooth brushes, tooth paste, shaving cream, etc) I like being able to see what I need at a glance. It also helps hubby locate whatever he needs as well.

Over the years I've amassed a variety of bags, they seem to work well at home and a very nice organized folder over type is great, but I can't see what's in it and is it really leak proof? For now, I use gallon size zip lock bags. I can double bag the shampoos, creams, and polishes. When the trip is over I can down size and use the extra bags for wet suits or whatever.

I don't know what price range you're thinking of, but if you google toiletry organizer you will find a wide variety. There are several at the Container Store http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/cosmeticsToiletries

I myself use the smallest size packing cube from a set we bought at eBags. It doesn't have individual pockets but I don't have many toiletries so all of mine are easily visible in it.

I put it in a top drawer in cabin and it's easily carried into bathroom if I want to use contents in there instead of in cabin.

I use a 3-drawer Sterlite case (Wal-mart/Target, etc...)....they are about 7 X 9 inches by 10 inches high...I keep all of my "stuff" in them at home, and simply take it with me....takes up very little counter space, and I don't ever have to worry about forgetting something...everything I use daily is in there! Blush, eyeshadow,etc....is in one drawer. Lipsticks, mascara and pencils in another....the last drawer is for odds and ends....scissors, tweezers, makeup brushes, q-tips, etc...

For things like shampoo/conditioner, etc....I simply use a zip-loc bag to trap any potential leaks!

I made a cloth case to keep the drawers closed in transport...but you could use tape or a large rubber band to do the same thing! It sure has made traveling easier for me!

Edited by cb at sea

I travel a lot (mostly business, sadly), and I've got through a bunch of toiletry bags, but I think I've found my favourite: It's from LLBean - very roomy, lots of different pockets, very sturdy construction, and it wasn't expensive. I have the medium sized one, and it's big enough for one person traveling for 2 weeks: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?feat=203-GN1&page=personal-organizer-medium

I travel a lot (mostly business, sadly), and I've got through a bunch of toiletry bags, but I think I've found my favourite: It's from LLBean - very roomy, lots of different pockets, very sturdy construction, and it wasn't expensive. I have the medium sized one, and it's big enough for one person traveling for 2 weeks: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?feat=203-GN1&page=personal-organizer-medium

Gets my vote also.

I use ziplock bags, as I like to pack light, take carryons only and all these organizers take up space. There are many different brands of hanging organizers. I frequently see them at Marshalls, Ross, etc. I have one from Vera Bradley that's quite pretty, but I never use it.

Agreed - Ziploc is king!

I second that! LLbean! Note my home state;)

I use ziploc bags, separating tooth care, hair care, personal care.

DH has an LLbean travel organzier and it is quite useful. He has the

medium size also. I had the large size and it held full size shampoo, conditioner and hair spray. The pockets are mesh so you can see what is in them and it has a hanger so you can make it easily accessible.

Another vote for LLbean. I have the small, medium and family size ones. My daughter uses the small one which is perfect for her stuff. I had the medium size one for about 6 years and then decided I wanted the family size one. The medium is perfect for one or two.. but I found I need more room. I like to put all my hair products in there as well as straightener so the family size is perfect for that.. but it's quite large.

The medium is the best bet I'd say.

I have a system for cruise toiletries: I don't bother with a nice bag (or even a ziplock) for my toiletries.

When a cruise is a month or so away, I watch my full-sized bottles 'til they have "just enough" left in them, and then I squirrel them away for the cruise. I think I tend to use a lot of shampoo especially, and when I have only a tiny bottle, I feel a little anxious that I'm going to run out. Yeah, I know: Silly. That's why I don't bring the tiny bottles anymore. The only thing I buy is a new toothbrush (because brushing with a new toothbrush is a small luxury).

On the last day of the cruise, I abandon all the bottles. Why? Because I hate packing up on the last day, and this is one last thing to pack up. I even leave the new toothbrush.

I do pack my make-up in a small Vera Bradley zip-up. I don't bring everything 'cause with fresh sun on my face, I wouldn't wear it anyway.

I use to have an organizer that I got in Penneys. It was called Going Somewhere. I loved it as it had separate pockets for everything. Both sides came out of the bag (held in by velcro) and could be hung. I cannot find it anywhere and since mine is 14 years old, I thought I would get a new one.

Any suggestions for me?

I have a very similar one myself. It came with a carry-on bag I bought a long long time ago and I keep it always stocked in my closet. I just grab it and go. I love being able to hang it from a towel rack or hook in the bathroom.

I've used this for 2 years (about 9 trips) and LOVE it. It's Lewis&Clark, bought it on ebags dot com. It's light but not flimsy, hangs anywhere so you can see everything and folds nicely into a compact size. It was less than $20. It shows no signs of wear and tear yet.

70734_1_2?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

70734_1_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

On the last day of the cruise, I abandon all the bottles. Why? Because I hate packing up on the last day, and this is one last thing to pack up. I even leave the new toothbrush.

I've sometimes done a variation on this: I arrive at the airport with nothing. Then I buy travel-size toiletries AFTER going through airport security. Then, on the return trip, I toss it all before arriving at the airport. (I'm almost always a "carry-on only" passenger.)

Can be slightly wasteful, but it saves headaches, including the possibility of forgetting or losing stuff in the security line (that's happened to me).

• 3 years later...

C-Breeze. I have the exact same Going Somewhere bag and have had it for years. I loved this bag but sadly it now needs replacing. I, too, am looking for something similar that will serve me well on my travels. Thanks for your post. I don't recall where I bought my present bag.

Agree. Love my LL Bean I have large

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have tried several various toiletry bags. We do have the Lewis and Clark one, but have switched to using the Ebags "Pack it Flat" organizer in recent years. We now have 4 of them in our family ( mom/dad/boys/girls) and really do prefer them. Watch for sales and be sure to shop through Ebates to get a rebate on your purchase !

lol - love seeing a 2013 thread revived.

I have had an American Tourister hanging toiletries organizer bag for over 20 years now. I keep it stocked with everything from toothpaste to antiperspirant and it stays in my suitcase. Before a trip I just need to run a quick check to see if anything needs replacing. One less step to packing!