If You are Flying From Logan for Your Cruise........

sail7seas

Gosh I would never rub it in about our weather. We are in for a real storm Friday night and Saturday morning. They are predicting up to 1/2" inch of rain and temps dipping into the low 50's. I do remember the days when I lived in Montreal and I do sympathize .... honest I do.

Good to hear it. I know many times I have seen people make comments on this board and I think it's very insensitive.

Got my groceries this morning in -23 weather plus who knows what wind chill, and to use a time honoured Maritime expression--"I like ta froze"!

Yikes! We had that one day last week or maybe it was the week before. It was -37 with the windchill. Stupid cold.

Judy, they keep hedging. I just heard 10 to 12 for NYC and up to 15 for us. Not as bad as Boston.

It's the wind gusts that really worry me. Up to 58 miles an hour where we are. And, sleet and ice on top of the snow.

I figure it will be a while till I venture out. Don't want to chance a fall.

Well the snow just started about noon in Toronto. I was so hoping it would wait until I got home...oh well.

No time for stocking up in our house as we both couldn't get away from work to buy anything. But we have a gas stove and a gas fireplace so we are usually fine. Not to forget the old fondue pot which is great for reheating things in a pinch. No use even trying to use the gas BBQ as I would need an ice pick to just get the cover off and everything would be cold by the time we got it back inside. We don't have to chuck things outside either as our cold celler is just that....freezing! Besides, they would just get covered in snow and we wouldn't find them until spring:eek:

Kids are dreaming of another snow day tomorrow! My dreams are considerably more warm than that. If we don't loose power I will be "surfing" to find our next hot vacation spot....:rolleyes:

Judy, they keep hedging. I just heard 10 to 12 for NYC and up to 15 for us. Not as bad as Boston.

It's the wind gusts that really worry me. Up to 58 miles an hour where we are. And, sleet and ice on top of the snow.

I figure it will be a while till I venture out. Don't want to chance a fall.

We're getting some snow and ice pellets now as the storm heads east and builds strength. Best wishes to all of you in the path...we had 20" of heavy, wet snow in one day just before Christmas and it was no fun.

I hadn't heard of the ice pellets yet. Graon......

I hope this isn't the heavy, wet snowl. That is so hard to move around and that is what coats tree limbs and snaps them onto power lines.

I agree, Carol. I won't be leaving home absent an urgent reason to.

Stay safe and warm.

Interesting report I just heard on CBS TV. There are three different storm models being predicted for NYC. One is for 2 inches, the second is for 15 inches and the third is for 30 inches.

The poor people in Long Island, Staten Island, parts of NJ haven't even recovered yet from Sandy and now they have to deal with this storm.

Stay safe everyone. I'll take summer no matter how hot it gets.

It's a beautiful, sunny, day here with the snow not expected until sometime tomorrow. Already the TV is scrolling cancellations and parking bans across the bottom of the screen.

Can't they at least wait until there's a need? I can't stand the hype.

Not exactly sunny here, but no precip yet. My daughter changed her flight to LA from Saturday night to tomorrow at 1:45. Hopefully, she'll get out. At least she has a better chance than if it was Saturday night.

I've made vegetable soup and just put up chicken soup. DH went to the supermarket and bought us enough food to stay in for two weeks, providing it doesn't go bad.

The newscasters hype so many storms that people stop believing them and then go out when it's really dangerous.

The latest report I hard re: NYC seems to be very hard to predict. They know Boston is the bullseye and will get slammed but a deviation in the course of the storm of less than 40 miles can make a difference for NYC getting 3" or possible 20". It's just too close for them to call.

There is not too much hype in Boston IMO

People need to prepare. Schools have to be closed. Some offices will close early. Public transportation? People need to do the normal storm prep acitivities..... Not to mention power companies storm preparations.

The latest report I hard re: NYC seems to be very hard to predict. They know Boston is the bullseye and will get slammed but a deviation in the course of the storm of less than 40 miles can make a difference for NYC getting 3" or possible 20". It's just too close for them to call.

There is not too much hype in Boston IMO

People need to prepare. Schools have to be closed. Some offices will close early. Public transportation? People need to do the normal storm prep acitivities..... Not to mention power companies storm preparations.

I prefer to watch the weather forecasts on the American channels because all weather stops dead at the border on their maps. It lets one think that maybe we will be spared. :D. Wishful thinking?

Thought I would share this with you all in case you haven't heard. Hopefully it will lighten the moment for you all up north.

Parking

Norman and his blonde wife live in Fargo.

One winter morning while listening to the radio, they hear the announcer say,

"We are going to have 3 to 4 inches of snow today.

You must park your car on the even numbered side of the street,

so the snowplow can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car.

A week later while they are eating breakfast, the radio announcer says,

"We are expecting 4 to 5 inches of snow today.

You must park your car on the odd numbered side of the street,

so the snowplow can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car again.

The next week they are having breakfast again, when the radio announcer says

"We are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow today. You must park.....",

then the electricity goes out. Norman's wife says,

"Honey, I don't know what to do."

Norman says, "Why don't you just leave it in the garage this time?"

I prefer to watch the weather forecasts on the American channels because all weather stops dead at the border on their maps. It lets one think that maybe we will be spared. :D. Wishful thinking?

I like your positive way of thinking. :) If they don't mention it, it won't happen.

This is a bad storm. You're right though...... it is rare when American weather reports include Nova Scotia, New Brunswick etc

Stay safe up there.

Yes, that will work:D:p;).

My thoughts are with everyone.

Here in Albuquerque we rarely get this much snow, but I was born in NYC and went to college in Oswego, NY, where snow records are often set (on Lake Ontario, across from Toronto). I feel for everyone stuck in the storm--I don't miss that kind of weather at all.

I do wonder about the milk, brad and egg thing--but now I understand that everyone is making French toast!!!

If you can't get to a full up outdoor gas grill, you can get a single burner that fits on a small Coleman gas bottle. if you have a garage, or a small outdoor area that is sheltered, you can use these to heat soup or boil water. We do it all the time when we camp in cold weather and no casualties, but you should have some ventilation.

good luck to all. my mom and sister are in northern NJ and will get a bunch of snow. And, no answer to calls or emails yet, so i assume they are out getting food and batteries!!

ML

I have a gas stove so I can use that and fireplace. I have a gas grill outside bur with the very strong winds I will not be using that. Remember never bring gas grills inside

We also have a gas fireplace and a gas grill that we used a lot when repairs were being made to our kitchen.

Our gas grill is stationary and can not be moved.

Thought I would share this with you all in case you haven't heard. Hopefully it will lighten the moment for you all up north.

Parking

Norman and his blonde wife live in Fargo.

One winter morning while listening to the radio, they hear the announcer say,

"We are going to have 3 to 4 inches of snow today.

You must park your car on the even numbered side of the street,

so the snowplow can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car.

A week later while they are eating breakfast, the radio announcer says,

"We are expecting 4 to 5 inches of snow today.

You must park your car on the odd numbered side of the street,

so the snowplow can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car again.

The next week they are having breakfast again, when the radio announcer says

"We are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow today. You must park.....",

then the electricity goes out. Norman's wife says,

"Honey, I don't know what to do."

Norman says, "Why don't you just leave it in the garage this time?"

Love it!! :)

Well I was at the gas station early this morning, and there were lines already. I guess everyone is taking this seriously....But why did they have to name this storm? I've never heard of snow storms being named.....and of all names NEMO???????? Really?

This storm is very deceptive. When I looked out of the window at 4:00 this morning it looked just fine. Snowing but nothing that we are not used to. But then I went out to shovel....and there is over a foot of snow already and the bulk of the storm is yet to hit. The Ontario Provincial Police are saying to not go out unless you have to and the morning news is saying if you do go out to "drive like a little old lady" on the highways...then added a caveat "no offence intended as they are very safe drivers - just slow".

For the first time ever, the schools are closed in our county as it is too unsafe to even drive the kids to school as the buses aren't running.

And the news said last night that the storm to hit Boston and NY will be worse.

Stay safe everyone.

Archived