Travel with a Minor not Your Own

I will be traveling alone with my 13 yr nephew on Explorer out of Bayonne in later March. We both have passports. What does RCCL require in addition?

From Royal's website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Thanks! I guess the " Visa" part only applies to certain countries? So, his passport and a notarized note from my sister is enough?

Yes, you don't need a Visa for any country on Explorer's current itineraries.

You can find samples of the notarized letter via internet search.

...many years ago, we also took our nephew on a cruise. No problems. Now that we have been introduced to Cruise Critic and are a bit more familiar with the rules...we realized we got lucky. We did not have any of the proper documentation required by the cruiseline and knowing what we know now...the ship had the legal right to stop us from sailing. The only reason why we weren't questioned was this: my nephew had the SAME last name we did. Everyone assumed he was our son. Again, we were lucky.

From Royal's website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Agreed. Have traveled twice with my son's friend and had the letter which was motorized and included all of the aforementioned information. We had no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sample Notarized Letter:

To Whom It May Concern,

I authorize my Son (Name) to travel with (Responsible Party and relation) on the Explorer (Dates etc). Should there be any medical issues I authorize the party as stated above to take care of our son. If there is any emergency please contact me (Contact Info).

Signed

Parents Names Witness Notoray

Also make sure you get the insurance information for your nephew along with either an insurance card or a copy of it. Also be sure to take any necessary medications,information on any known food allergies ets.

Remember this letter has to be notorized by a notorary.

A notarized letter signed by both parents giving you permission to take them on that specific cruise and to sign for them to be able to play in the Adventure Ocean and to receive medical care if necessary. Very easy- i have taken my grandson on three cruises and we have had a ball!

The information posted above from RCCL says "one of" the parents. Has the rule changed? ( it matters because there is no father- sister has sole custody with no father contact. If it is both parents, I have to go through the hassle of getting the court sole custody papers and that is always a pain)

The information posted above from RCCL says "one of" the parents. Has the rule changed? ( it matters because there is no father- sister has sole custody with no father contact. If it is both parents, I have to go through the hassle of getting the court sole custody papers and that is always a pain)

Sorry- no that is my choice- i always get both parents to sign just because I am nervous about it. You are correct. Only one signature is needed.

No. The notarized letter must be signed by BOTH parents.

Wrong. Royal Caribbean specifically requires only one parent. Why? Because not all families have both parents "in the picture." As long as one parent authorizes it, they can sail.

Can you have both sign? Sure. Will it be denied if only one signs? Nope.

This will probably never apply to me, but I am curious.

If you bring a child on a cruise, how does RCI know if you are the legal guardian or not? I've taken my own kids on cruises and have never had to prove that my wife and I were their legal guardians, so how would they knew the difference if they had been my nieces?

Can someone explain what you mean by 'notarized'?

Do you mean signature of the parent witnessed? and by whom?

Thanks,

Odette

I forgot the English term, but you have the same thing over there. The signature is witnessed by someone here who is certified and called a Notary Public. The notary puts their seal on the document which confirms that the signatures were done in their presence. Is your term something like commissioners of oaths?

They don't. On NCL last year travling with nephew & my husband, I had worked myself into a frenzy over nephew's situation. We had his passport, the notarized letter from one parent and the stamped court documents giving that one parent sole custody ( other parent terminated parental rights and hasn't been seen or heard from since). We went to check in, we showed our passports only and off we went. No one questioned whether he was ours in any way.

On Disney, they did actually ask him right off if I was his parent so they checked our paperwork thoroughly. Disney has the same RCCL requirement of one parental signature on a notarized letter/ form. NCL required BOTH parental signatures ( and then never bothered to ask for any paperwork)

This will probably never apply to me, but I am curious.

If you bring a child on a cruise, how does RCI know if you are the legal guardian or not? I've taken my own kids on cruises and have never had to prove that my wife and I were their legal guardians, so how would they knew the difference if they had been my nieces?

If you are sailing with passports, they don't know unless they ask. When my son was a minor and sailed with us, he was asked by the customs officer if we were his parents. He answered yes and that was it.

If your kids are using birth certificates instead of passports, they obviously would be able to tell since the parents are listed.

If your kids are using birth certificates instead of passports, they obviously would be able to tell since the parents are listed.

Parents, yes. Legal guardians, no. Just because someone is listed on a birth certificate as a biological parent doesn't necessarily mean they have any legal rights as a child's guardian.

Parents, yes. Legal guardians, no. Just because someone is listed on a birth certificate as a biological parent doesn't necessarily mean they have any legal rights as a child's guardian.

Yes, but how many parents who are not a child's legal guardian, are both going to be going on a cruise with their child? Not many, if any at all.

When one parent travels with the child, you will have more scrutiny since they are trying to protect the child.

Yes, I think the passport is what made it much easier and not questioned on NCL last year. It was our first time taking him when he had a passport. I am going to get other nephew and niece a passport this year too just to make the whole thing much easier. ( that has the added benefit of me keeping the passports so my dingbat of a sister doesn't have to give me agita right before every trip when she loses their birth certificates)

I forgot the English term, but you have the same thing over there. The signature is witnessed by someone here who is certified and called a Notary Public. The notary puts their seal on the document which confirms that the signatures were done in their presence. Is your term something like commissioners of oaths?

Thanks for your response. We do have Notary Public's here but they are few and far between and cost quite a bit to use!! I think if its the signature that needs 'certifying' then a solicitor/laywer can do that!

Thanks for the clarification!:)

Archived