Transatlantic: Nieuw Amsterdam, Maasdam or Ryndam?

joanna111

Taking my first transatlantic cruise next month on the Noordam. I'm buying a round-trip plane ticket home so I can go back to Europe in the fall and take a longer (21 day) cruise east to west.

My choices are: Nieuw Amsterdam on 10/6, Ryndam on 10/26 or Maasdam on 11/15 . Based on the itinerary, it would be a choice between the Ryndam or the Maasdam. Based on the choice of ship it would be the Nieuw Amsterdam and the weather might be better earlier in the fall. The Ryndam cruise is at least $800 less right now but that could change.

I have to decide now in order to buy the plane ticket. I'm ready to look for a three-sided coin and flip it.

Any advice? I get such good ideas from everyone who posts here.

Thanks.

Personally, I would prefer either of the smaller ships. Since you also prefer those itineraries, it would be a fairly easy decision for me.

I sailed for 2 weeks on the Ryndam last May, and found her in lovely condition. Service and food was fine. I can recommend her.

I'm with Ruth C on this one. I'd take the two smaller ones. Loved the Maasdam - haven't been on the Rhyndam but I have heard good things:)

:)Weather is a toss up - don't worry about the timing - what will be will be. the ship is the itinerary at some stage on the TA - choose wisely. we have lucked out so far and always gone at the 'wrong' time.

the smaller ships on HAL are like a gem - enjoy them while they can still shine in the Holland America fleet.

the Nieuw Amsterdam will be there for a long time - use it for a Caribbean whatever - I WOULD NEVER do a TA on that ship again - JMVHO:)

Taking my first transatlantic cruise next month on the Noordam. I'm buying a round-trip plane ticket home so I can go back to Europe in the fall and take a longer (21 day) cruise east to west.

My choices are: Nieuw Amsterdam on 10/6, Ryndam on 10/26 or Maasdam on 11/15 . Based on the itinerary, it would be a choice between the Ryndam or the Maasdam. Based on the choice of ship it would be the Nieuw Amsterdam and the weather might be better earlier in the fall. The Ryndam cruise is at least $800 less right now but that could change.

I have to decide now in order to buy the plane ticket. I'm ready to look for a three-sided coin and flip it.

Any advice? I get such good ideas from everyone who posts here.

Thanks.

HAL has only one coin.

It's two-sided.

One side is Nieuw Amsterdam.

Another one is Eurodam.

HAL has only one coin.

It's two-sided.

One side is Nieuw Amsterdam.

Another one is Eurodam.

:confused::confused::confused: seriously?? have you been on the other ships?

there is no comparison IMO between the service on the other two vs these two. JMO of course

:confused::confused::confused: seriously?? have you been on the other ships?

there is no comparison IMO between the service on the other two vs these two. JMO of course

From my experience, "hands on" service is the same on Costa, Cunard, Celebrity, etc.

My stewards and waiters always worked hard on all ships. I always tip them at the end of the cruise.

I have never had complaints about the "service" on any ship.

This is where cruise ships differ dramatically: design, amenities, space, pools, food, shows.

So "I can't wait" to get on this ship:

20r37ls.jpg

And I have no future plans for this one:

f36s0p.jpg

As a vacation cruiser I have to make choices.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Nov. from Funchal to Ft. Lauderdale and we had a great Transatlantic crossing weatherwise............. ship was fine also. Guess it all depends what the experience were onboard the ships, but I would not say that I would never be back on this ship. Itinerary is what attracts me on any line or ship.

From my experience, "hands on" service is the same on Costa, Cunard, Celebrity, etc.

My stewards and waiters always worked hard on all ships. I always tip them at the end of the cruise.

I have never had complaints about the "service" on any ship.

This is where cruise ships differ dramatically: design, amenities, space, pools, food, shows.

So "I can't wait" to get on this ship:

20r37ls.jpg

And I have no future plans for this one:

f36s0p.jpg

As a vacation cruiser I have to make choices.

Each to their own:) I have had very different experiences on different lines and different ships - if you're happy that's great. Unfortunately my experiences on Celebrity, NCL, Princess, some now extinct cruise lines and HAL do not give you the same results on each ship. (nor even on the same cruise sometimes).

My choice would be the exact opposite of what you have done, so the op can see that there are lots of options for everyone.;)

hopefully the op can choose something that will make THEM happy - that's the main thing:)

Sounds like it's a matter of personal preference as opposed to some of the "avoid this ship like the plague" that I read in some of the reviews.

I'm not really arranging the airfare early. I sail to Rome on the Noordam next month. One-way airfare home (to Virginia) costs a bundle so I'm buying a round trip ticket: Rome-Virginia-Rome. The first leg will get me back to Virginia after the Noordam cruise. Then I can fly back to Rome in the fall (or almost anywhere in Europe on United for the same price) and hop on a ship coming back. So once I decide what cruise I want in the fall I'll book the round trip ticket so that I get to the right city on the right day to get on the cruise.

So it'll be the Ryndam or the Maasdam. My first cruise (not that I've been on that many) was on the Veendam in 2005.

Thanks!

Sounds like it's a matter of personal preference as opposed to some of the "avoid this ship like the plague" that I read in some of the reviews.

I'm not really arranging the airfare early. I sail to Rome on the Noordam next month. One-way airfare home (to Virginia) costs a bundle so I'm buying a round trip ticket: Rome-Virginia-Rome. The first leg will get me back to Virginia after the Noordam cruise. Then I can fly back to Rome in the fall (or almost anywhere in Europe on United for the same price) and hop on a ship coming back. So once I decide what cruise I want in the fall I'll book the round trip ticket so that I get to the right city on the right day to get on the cruise.

So it'll be the Ryndam or the Maasdam. My first cruise (not that I've been on that many) was on the Veendam in 2005.

Thanks!

It sounds like you have this worked out very well - very clever too - enjoy your cruise:D

We did this trip 2 years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam and last year on the Maasdam, enjoying both. If we were to go a third time, we'd do the Nieuw Amsterdam again. The larger ship gave us more things to do on the many sea days. The evening shows were more professional, the library adjacent to the Crow's nest more inviting, the Lido less chaotic. Since both ships were super, go with the itinerary that pleases you the most.

The larger, newer ships have more balconies, so the prices for balconies are usually less than on the older ships such as Maasdam.

very true - but the balconies on the Maasdam are much nicer and much bigger:D Price is cheaper for a reason IMO - each to their own - as long as the OP is happy, I am happy - I'll gladly pay the premium for the Maasdam or the Prinsendam any day. better crew to passenger ratio, better service (IMO)and just a nicer ambience.

Just look at the facts - HAL has the highest returning passenger ratio of any cruise line. (I believe this is still correct).

The number one ship on HAL is the Prinsendam for the highest repeat passenger rate.

After that it is the Westerdam (and she is very proud of this and deserves it)

And after that it is the Maasdam, I believe.

Each of these ships has earned the loyalty and devotion of their repeat passengers for a reason.

the numbers speak for themselves - I'd rather pay a small premium for a balcony (if I want one) and have a great cruise with great service than save a few $ and have a lesser experience. But what do I know?

I've been on all three of these ships and IMO they put the NA to shame - each to their own.:D as long as we are all happy.

Smooth seas:D

I'm with Ruth C on this one. I'd take the two smaller ones. Loved the Maasdam - haven't been on the Rhyndam but I have heard good things:)

:)Weather is a toss up - don't worry about the timing - what will be will be. the ship is the itinerary at some stage on the TA - choose wisely. we have lucked out so far and always gone at the 'wrong' time.

the smaller ships on HAL are like a gem - enjoy them while they can still shine in the Holland America fleet.

the Nieuw Amsterdam will be there for a long time - use it for a Caribbean whatever - I WOULD NEVER do a TA on that ship again - JMVHO:)

Why? Or were you on the westbound TA in November, 2011?

Sounds like it's a matter of personal preference as opposed to som

Thanks!

If you choose the Ryndam, join our roll call. We will be sailing from Barcelona on November 2d. What port would you be leaving from on October 26th - Rome?

We did this trip 2 years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam and last year on the Maasdam, enjoying both. If we were to go a third time, we'd do the Nieuw Amsterdam again. The larger ship gave us more things to do on the many sea days. The evening shows were more professional, the library adjacent to the Crow's nest more inviting, the Lido less chaotic.

Same here.

I also like hydropool & thermal suite, spectacular promenade deck, more spacious pool decks, large sport court, Tamarind & Silk Den lounge, additional sun deck on the newest Siganature Class ships.

What is "service"?

What is "better service"?

I prefer a better ship.

very true - but the balconies on the Maasdam are much nicer and much bigger:D Price is cheaper for a reason IMO - each to their own - as long as the OP is happy, I am happy - I'll gladly pay the premium for the Maasdam or the Prinsendam any day. better crew to passenger ratio, better service (IMO)and just a nicer ambience.

Just look at the facts - HAL has the highest returning passenger ratio of any cruise line. (I believe this is still correct).

The number one ship on HAL is the Prinsendam for the highest repeat passenger rate.

After that it is the Westerdam (and she is very proud of this and deserves it)

And after that it is the Maasdam, I believe.

Each of these ships has earned the loyalty and devotion of their repeat passengers for a reason.

the numbers speak for themselves - I'd rather pay a small premium for a balcony (if I want one) and have a great cruise with great service than save a few $ and have a lesser experience. But what do I know?

I've been on all three of these ships and IMO they put the NA to shame - each to their own.:D as long as we are all happy.

Smooth seas:D

:confused: Really?

Where did you get those 'repeat passenger' figures?

I'd have to question the accuracy.

I seriously doubt whoever told you this has the facts and figures to back it up.

I'd love if there is some reliable source for that info as it interests me.

TIA......

Archived