Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Because many Americans are lazy and do not want to take the (little)time it takes to apply for one

Sounds like you are expert on all Americans. I know of very hard working americans that only go on a cruise when Dad and Mom can afford to take them all they have ever needed according to the cruise line is Photo ID and birth Certificate.

and who are you to say they are lazy.

I wonder why Carnival has not cancelled another ship's voyage and go to the Triumph and transfer the passengers to it and get those poor passengers home. There is a precedent with Titanic/Carpathia. There would have been better press towards Carnival if they would have done that.

Yes, until a six year old slips, falls and dies because they were attempting to tender with no balancing mechanism and no lighting in the open sea.

Nobody said this. And calling people "provincial" is a little elitist, don't you think? I've traveled the world but a lot of people don't have the luxury or means to do so; this is a lot of the reason why cruises are so popular-- as cost-effective way to see the world. But if people choose to explore the wealth of opportunities for leisure, excitement, history and enjoyment within the US' borders, they shouldn't be dogged for it or called "provincial."

First of all, anyone on a cruise (unless it's up the Mississippi) isn't "exploring the US" but rather they have left the country. Probably half of the CC posters have 10+ cruises, all to the same Caribbean ports over and over. I don't think it's at all elitist to think that instead of 10 cruises to Cozumel, they could have taken a couple cruises to Cozumel and a few cruises to Europe or the South pacific or any other number of places. To each their own, but I just don't understand it.

Everybody needs to take a step back. This is an ugly situation for everyone involved, but it IS an accident, and accidents happen. Now what needs to be focused on is not where everyone is taking a poo, but rather crisis management and future prevention of an atrocity like this. I really feel for the people stuck on this ship.

Yes, it's an accident. Still to be seen if it were a preventable accident. I am one of several people stating that they don't think Carnival is doing a good job with crisis management, and I stand by that claim.

If I were a stockholder, I'd dump every share after their response to this situation and the fact that no one from their corporate headquarters has made anything but two cursory, highly sanitized written statements. That's just not a good way to gain shareholder or customer confidence. Instead it makes a company look like their are chasing their tails trying to come up with a "Hail Mary" and circling the wagons in the process.

It's a minefield out there... I should know (as should anyone who posts on here with some frequency)!

Tom

Very true! I often retype what I post no less than a dozen times trying to make sure I don't offend anyone... hahah!

I wonder why Carnival has not cancelled another ship's voyage and go to the Triumph and transfer the passengers to it and get those poor passengers home. There is a precedent with Titanic/Carpathia. There would have been better press towards Carnival if they would have done that.

This. And before everyone starts saying that it'd be unfair and ridiculous to ruin a vacation for another group of passengers, it'd serve us all to remember how miserable conditions on the Triumph must be right now. I think sending another ship to get these people would be absolutely the best thing, instead of dumping them off in Mobile after 4-5 miserable days onboard a dead ship and then having to fly them all back to Galveston.

First of all, anyone on a cruise (unless it's up the Mississippi) isn't "exploring the US" but rather they have left the country. Probably half of the CC posters have 10+ cruises, all to the same Caribbean ports over and over. I don't think it's at all elitist to think that instead of 10 cruises to Cozumel, they could have taken a couple cruises to Cozumel and a few cruises to Europe or the South pacific or any other number of places. To each their own, but I just don't understand it.

Yes, it's an accident. Still to be seen if it were a preventable accident. I am one of several people stating that they don't think Carnival is doing a good job with crisis management, and I stand by that claim.

If I were a stockholder, I'd dump every share after their response to this situation and the fact that no one from their corporate headquarters has made anything but two cursory, highly sanitized written statements. That's just not a good way to gain shareholder or customer confidence. Instead it makes a company look like their are chasing their tails trying to come up with a "Hail Mary" and circling the wagons in the process.

I never said that going on a cruise wasn't leaving the country. I said that those who choose to explore inside our borders shouldn't be dogged for it, and that for many, a cruise is the only financially feasible option as a way to explore outside our borders. Perhaps I should have been more succinct. And you are correct-- to each their own. Some people don't want to go to Europe (I don't understand why they wouldn't but it is their choice).

And I definitely agree about how badly this reflects on the company. I've never cruised with anyone but Carnival and I really enjoyed it, but their response to this disaster (the press releases and lack of information and lies) is appalling, IMO.

I can only guess those wasting their money on them they they are still not needed are mad they are out that money.

And actually think that no ticky no shirty applies here.

All this concern, yet all these passengers will be taken care of, regardless where they land.

I travel internationally (not just to the Caribbean on a cruise ship) so I need a passport. I firmly believe that not having one on your person as you leave the continental US is foolish. You never know when you might unexpectedly need it. I take mine even when I fly to Puerto Rico on business, just in case we have engine trouble and have to land on a non-US Caribbean island. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and the cost is minimal.

Frankly it's not really my problem if people choose to not have one to travel, however I'd be furious if my repatriation were held up because of someone's choice to not travel with one.

Very true! I often retype what I post no less than a dozen times trying to make sure I don't offend anyone... hahah!

This. And before everyone starts saying that it'd be unfair and ridiculous to ruin a vacation for another group of passengers, it'd serve us all to remember how miserable conditions on the Triumph must be right now. I think sending another ship to get these people would be absolutely the best thing, instead of dumping them off in Mobile after 4-5 miserable days onboard a dead ship and then having to fly them all back to Galveston.

you know a way to get a ship to them faster than they can be towed to land?

Happened on the Splendor...BTW it was generators.

On the Spendour there was a combination of issues. A main engine blew up, causing damage to the generator it was powering, cuasing a major electrical short out to the main electrical system, rsulting in a fire. The electrical sytem was later found w to have a design problem which let it spread the electrical burnout to the next engine room system.

Short form, from the USCG report.

AKK

Spoke to my pvp about my april sailing on triumph and he said there making repairs to the engine during the two back to mobile and once in port cleaning and additional repairs will be done. Assured me shed be ready to sail in april w a new engine..... Just sharing the info i was told

It will be a repaired engine, not a new one

did you hear that someplace other than here?

In a statement, Cahill said that the Triumph is expected to arrive in Mobile on Thursday, about the same time it would arrive in Progreso from its current location.

He said returning to a U.S. port will also be more convenient for 900 guests on the ship traveling without passports.

from travel weekly

you know a way to get a ship to them faster than they can be towed to land?

The current reports are that they're being towed at less than 10 knots per hour and won't reach Mobile until Thursday at best. Yeah, I think getting a ship to them and getting them out of there would definitely have been faster, safer, and much more comfortable for them though at this point it's probably moot. I don't think this has been handled well by Carnival. Again, that's just my opinion, though, and results may vary by user :D

Does anyone know if they are being served alcoholic beverages? (Stupid question I know, just trying to judge how upset I would be. lol)

Passengers on board are reporting that alcohol service has been suspended. Without booze I think I'd be even unhappier in that situation!

900 people on the ship don't have them and that is part of the reason that they are not disembarking in mexico. Adding more days on the ship.

I'm not so sure it has anything to do with helping people without passports. I don't think CCL gives a crap about them or any delay they might face. Instead they are saving a ton of money by not having to charter planes for international flights.

The ship would had to have been towed to a port with repair facilities, so might as well kill two birds with one stone. It's purely a financial decision.

By the way, I suspect that anyone needing to return to Galveston rather than going directly home from Mobile is going to be put on a bus for the eight hour ride as opposed to flown on a charter plane. Of course CCL doesn't want to tell anyone that yet due to the uproar it's likely to cause.

I also suspect that because the Mobile airport is very small with limited flights, the majority of passengers to fly directly home rather than return to Galveston will be bused to New Orleans and Atlanta.

From ABCNews.com:

Passengers on the fire-damaged Carnival cruise ship stranded in the Gulf of Mexico have reported worsening conditions including scarce running water, no air conditioning and long lines for food.

Carnival said original plans to haul the crippled ship to Progreso, Mexico, have been scrapped because the ship has drifted about 90 miles north because of strong currents. Instead, the Triumph will be towed to Mobile, Ala., and should arrive Thursday.

For the more than 4,200 people on board, Thursday could not come soon enough.

"Conditions are getting worse by the hour," passenger Debra Rightmire told ABC News in a text message. "Cabin carpets are wet with urine and water. Toilets are overflowing inside cabins. We are having to sleep in the hallways. Onion and cucumber sandwich last night," she added.

The Carnival Triumph is now little more than a 100,000-ton cork, bobbing in the Gulf of Mexico without propulsion since the fire broke out Sunday morning. No one was hurt in the fire, but the ship lost power and is relying on a back-up generator.

Brent Nutt said that his wife, Bethany, who is on board, called him to say the plumbing wasn't working on the ship."She said there's no running water. They just really got food there to them tonight, and there's no power whatsoever, other than the emergency flasher lights that are on," he said Monday. "She was crying and hysterical."

At one point Sunday, passengers were reportedly using buckets to relieve themselves.

END QUOTE

That last line about buckets is just plain scary. I want to wish each and every passenger on board the best, and hope and pray they make it back to Mobile with no injuries or illness.

I hereby predict Carnival will make some crazy offer to each passenger on the Triumph like 25% off another cruise and some chocolate covered strawberries. And that some folks on this board will say the fire was NOT Carnival's fault.

Im thinking some will request it

But what about those that have booked this cruise to make Platinum:eek:

According to the program, they will all get three extra days credit. I suppose this is one of the lowest issues on their minds. In the last year and a half, I have lost power in my home three times about 5 days each. It was awful. Can't imagine doing the same in those conditions.

Yes, until a six year old slips, falls and dies because they were attempting to tender with no balancing mechanism and no lighting in the open sea.

I'm not disagreeing with you, although it's no different than getting people from life rafts onto other ships. And if it's done in the daytime, lighting shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, most six year olds are little monkeys. ;) I'd worry more about the older people and those with mobility issues.

Regardless of how deplorable conditions are, remaining on the ship is truly the safest option. Abandoning ship is always a last resort, and transferring passengers to another ship in the open ocean would be extremely dangerous. If you've ever tendered in anything less than perfectly flat seas with no wind, you know how difficult that can be. To try to accomplish transferring passengers in open waters from a ship with no power/stabilization would probably result in injuries...and could result in worse.:( Fortunately they don't have to abandon ship. The Triumph is structurally sound, and even though the passengers are miserable, they aren't in imminent danger.

This goes to show Carnival is cheaper but things like this could be avoided if they charge more they could afford to do maintenance on their ships. This ship has had other fires in the last year. When your pricing cruises and decide to go with Carnival remember cheaper is not always better you get what you pay for. Some other cruise lines are more then carnival but there are reasons for that and they probably dont corners when it comes to ship maintenance. This just turned 4000 people's vacation into a complete nightmare.

Just my .02

This thread has gotten really ugly, and I think it reflects badly on the CC community as a whole, given that it's a top ten in the google searches for the Triumph fire and everyone and their mom is reading this, with major news agencies citing it. I think some people need to chill out, for real. I posted that earlier, but for some reason my post got deleted while a large part of the vitriol being spewed here has been allowed to continue.

Everybody needs to take a step back. This is an ugly situation for everyone involved, but it IS an accident, and accidents happen. Now what needs to be focused on is not where everyone is taking a poo, but rather crisis management and future prevention of an atrocity like this. I really feel for the people stuck on this ship.

I knew I liked folks from Arkansas for a reason, and not just because my bmom lives there, but that yalls can use common sense and logic. (Be careful who you let see you use it though, there seem to be many, many people envious of those traits.)

Also, I have really enjoyed reading the posts from MarkBearSF and MissMeggieMurphy too. I can appreciate all the people who understand real tragedy and can still be glass-half-full about it.

P.S. Woo Pig Soooooooie :D

I hereby predict Carnival will make some crazy offer to each passenger on the Triumph like 25% off another cruise and some chocolate covered strawberries. And that some folks on this board will say the fire was NOT Carnival's fault.

Doesn't a tray of chocolate covered strawberries or a cheap bottle of (sparkling)wine cure all ills? ;)

BTW though - they are, as of the last report that I'm aware of, getting a full refund of their current cruise fare, and that same amount which can be applied towards a future Carnival cruise.

Tom

Archived