Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I think it will depend on what is available .. No one can wave a magic wand and empty current hotels .. I imagine there's a group in Miami scramblin' to find accommodations. No matter how many folks think Carnival's handling this incorrectly .. the logistics of taking care of everyone in Mobile's going to be a tough!

I've never said that Carnival is handling this incorrectly. I just related how they handled the hotel allocation once before. They may have a completely different method of allocating available rooms for these folks (and, hopefully for the crew as well - since it must be just awful for them).

This thread reminds me of the people who evacuated to the Superdome after Katrina and just messed anywhere they wanted to because the electricity and water were off.

But it amazes me that people on a cruise ship would just go mess in the halls and stairwells instead of using the supplied bags or finding a functional toilet. And then they complain about the smell!

You missed the point completely. If 5 people were killed lowering a lifeboat just this week in a calm port, doesn't that prove that there can be a substantial risk in lowering all the lifeboats on the high seas with no power or stabilization?

Maybe you missed my point where I said that the life boats were used as the tenders on a daily basis on my cruise this summer.

It's also strange how un-newsworthy it is when 5 are killed and more injured just because they are crewmembers and not passengers yet all he11 breaks loose when an incident happens that doesn't even have any injuries but inconveniences the passengers.

I don't think that's the reason. The accident with the lifeboat happened to a British ship in Europe with no Americans involved. Just like the UK doesn't hear about everyone who dies in a car accident in Los Angeles, there's really no reason for the American media to give the story more than a cursory sentence or two. It's just not of interest to the average American.

Just last November I was on the Star when a maintenance man was killed while in port working on the ship and no one on the ship was even notified of the accident and it never made the news.

It's not "news" to anyone except his friends and family, coworkers, and a handful of cruise enthusiasts.

This thread reminds me of the people who evacuated to the Superdome after Katrina and just messed anywhere they wanted to because the electricity and water were off.

But it amazes me that people on a cruise ship would just go mess in the halls and stairwells instead of using the supplied bags or finding a functional toilet. And then they complain about the smell!

When they get back we'll find out how many of these stories are true.

Carnival should have sent one of their ships empty and used the lifeboats to transfer passengers to the rescue ship. Imagine having to endure such conditions...really feeling for the people stuck on the Triumph. Carnival's meager compensation is nothing for what these people are putting up with.

The booking engine is showing no cruises for Triumph until April 18th... Suggesting to me they are planning for extensive repairs.

I'm sure at this point CCL doesn't know what's going to be involved in repairing the ship or how long it will take.

The cruises were probably removed from booking as a precaution. In addition to not disappointing legitimate passengers, they probably wanted to stop people from booking solely to get a discount on a future cruise when the sailing was cancelled. In the hours immediately following news of the incident I read of several people planning to do just that.

I think Gerry Cahill and his pr staff should be helicoptered over to the ship and be dropped there for the next 2 days, until Triumph gets to Mobile. Let him see and experience first-hand what these people are going through. Then let them try to sugar-coat THAT!!

Carnival should have sent one of their ships empty and used the lifeboats to transfer passengers to the rescue ship. Imagine having to endure such conditions...really feeling for the people stuck on the Triumph. Carnival's meager compensation is nothing for what these people are putting up with.

yeah, just send one of those empty Carnival ships from the yard...

I'm sure at this point CCL doesn't know what's going to be involved in repairing the ship or how long it will take.

The cruises were probably removed from booking as a precaution. In addition to not disappointing legitimate passengers, they probably wanted to stop people from booking solely to get a discount on a future cruise when the sailing was cancelled. In the hours immediately following news of the incident I read of several people planning to do just that.

I think at this point they probably have a pretty good idea of what is involved. I am wondering if they have decided to give it the 'Sunshine Transformation' now since this has happened. We shall see.

I think Gerry Cahill and his pr staff should be helicoptered over to the ship and be dropped there for the next 2 days, until Triumph gets to Mobile. Let him see and experience first-hand what these people are going through. Then let them try to sugar-coat THAT!!

Like!

what would they do with all the pax they kicked off the ship to sail empty

Archived