Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I personally have no problem with the way Carnival is handling this situation (at least the way i appears from land) It sucks for those on the Triumph, but unfortunately bad things do happen, even when you're on vacation. I'm sure nobody wanted this to happen less than Carnival, with millions in revenue surely lost.

The worst part of the future of the Triumph is the thought of overflowing toilets(raw sewage) in the lower decks. I imagine all of the carpeting wil have to be replaced, and I personally won't book a future cruise on Triumph for this reason alone, a bit of a germaphobe.....

However I'd have no problem booking any other ship tommorrow.

If I were on this cruise however I'd like to have the cruise fee refunded and whatever travel refunded (air fare) other than that a good discount on a future cruise would be nice.....and I'd have a great story to tell.

I do feel bad for the workers on Triumph, looks like they couuld be out of work for a couple of months(servers,porters,waiters, etc..)

Um, yup. They stayed drunk with the bars closed. Um hmmm...

lol... I brought extra's, and had our non-drinker's bring some also, for us who did drink!!! We had so much we left 3 bottles when we left after our 7 day trip.. Just say'n if you got it, drink it!! :eek:

The whole hotel topic is mute. CNN is reporting the majority of the passengers want to be bussed directly to Houston/Galveston ASAP and not spend the night. It appears that what the passengers really want, and what we think they want are two different things

I'd be curious how many drove to the port. If I had driven to the port, I would want to be bused straight to the port to get my car and get home. Another few hours of stinking is not going to make a whole lot of difference at this point. Get to my car, hit a drive-thru and get the heck home for shower and bed!

Well, I am by no means a CCL cheerleader, but we on the RCCL boards are just as interested in this as ya'll are and this thread seems to be the only one still being commented upon so we're here too.

It seems to me that the cruise industry as a whole,( considering there are dozens of ships on dozens of lines departing several times each week 52 weeks out of the year), has a decent record of safety. Just because an incident gets major press and is indeed deplorable for the people involved doesn't mean that the percentage of these types of incidents are not just a fraction of safely conducted cruises.

Just as with airplane crashes, it is a very small percentage. Of course for the passies, that is no consideration, but for me, it will never deter us from cruising. I wish all of them well and will be glad they are getting home today.

Like!:D

If that's the case, they aren't coming in tonight. It's already been made very clear by the authorities that they can't dock that ship in the dark in Mobile.

They did say that, yesterday. I'm curious if they'll stick to that or "bend" the rule tonight.

I wonder if Carnival will be giving the crew time off to recover from this? Will they get some financial compensation? Such as a few days off with pay and reimbursement of tips?

The ship is out of service for 14 cruises. That enough time?

Also a quick note about cost, logistics and effectiveness.

I spent many years in roles that require a lot of contingency planning. When you do that sort of thing you always end up with three lists.

What you WANT to do, what you SHOULD do, and what you CAN do.

The last one is the most important because it deals with resource allocation. Not only do you have X amount of dollars, you also have X amount of people and you have to balance all of that. You also have to take into account resources you don't control.

Lets look at hotels for example. Based on a little research, NOLA has a convention booking group with direct access to hotel inventory and also Carnival has contacts there. This means one or two Carnival people could easily book 1500 rooms. Mobile, from what I can find, doesn't have the same, that means each hotel must be contacted individual to obtain available room counts, sign contracts etc, which could require a lot more people, So part of the question you ask is not only a matter of cost, but could those other people be put to use in better situations, like arranging flights, contacting relatives, booking buses, arranging food, etc.

My point is that while cost is a factor, the incremental savings between NOLA and Mobile was probably not enough on its own to offset the cost of busing people there and then moving them again, so its logical there were other factors.

Please don't make sense! People here can't stand that when they sit at home with their own made up ideas of what can and can't be done:D

If they can't dock tonight, can they tender? (Now, I know they won't -but hypothetically, could they?)

Since they are in a calm harbor, the tender risks that existed in the open ocean are gone. Or do tenders not operate in the dark either?

It wouldn't be a good way to get luggage off, but at least the people could get off! Even if you were told you'd have to wait another day for your stuff, I can't imagine anyone would choose to stay onboard until they dock. Heck, if I had family waiting for me, I might just go home without my stuff.

Also a quick note about cost, logistics and effectiveness.

I spent many years in roles that require a lot of contingency planning. When you do that sort of thing you always end up with three lists.

What you WANT to do, what you SHOULD do, and what you CAN do.

The last one is the most important because it deals with resource allocation. Not only do you have X amount of dollars, you also have X amount of people and you have to balance all of that. You also have to take into account resources you don't control.

Lets look at hotels for example. Based on a little research, NOLA has a convention booking group with direct access to hotel inventory and also Carnival has contacts there. This means one or two Carnival people could easily book 1500 rooms. Mobile, from what I can find, doesn't have the same, that means each hotel must be contacted individual to obtain available room counts, sign contracts etc, which could require a lot more people, So part of the question you ask is not only a matter of cost, but could those other people be put to use in better situations, like arranging flights, contacting relatives, booking buses, arranging food, etc.

My point is that while cost is a factor, the incremental savings between NOLA and Mobile was probably not enough on its own to offset the cost of busing people there and then moving them again, so its logical there were other factors.

http://www.cvent.com/rfp/mobile-hotels/mobile-bay-convention-visitors-bureau/venue-047a48e20e7f4e4facd3bf10d05a9d8c.aspx

There is most definitely a CVB that could have assisted in the securing of hotel rooms in Mobile. They are going to be moving people again after they get them to NOLA. This was entirely a cost cutting situation.

In my opinion, one balcony door affecting the HVAC of an entire group of cabins is a design defect that needs to be remedied.

Try it in your own home.

Open your patio door or front door all the way in the middle of summer and see how well all the other rooms stay cool.

Or do the same in the middle of winter and see how warm all the other rooms stay.

The whole hotel topic is mute. CNN is reporting the majority of the passengers want to be bussed directly to Houston/Galveston ASAP and not spend the night. It appears that what the passengers really want, and what we think they want are two different things

And CNN knows this how? Do they have someone on board taking a poll? Let's just use a little common sense in separating fact from fiction.

At a 90 degree list.. the walls become the floor, and the ship is sinking.... What he is saying is that at 45 degrees.. the walls and the floor are at the same angle if your trying to walk down a hallway.. and your walking where the floor meets the wall...

I'm sure there is some decent list but 45 degrees would have been visible in the flyovers that was done yesterday. It certainly wasn't apparent.

Sensationalizing!! It's really disgusting how bad it is with the vultures...err, I mean media. And yet, Dr. Sandre Gupta was interviewed earlier and said there won't be problems with illness from the lacking sanitation.

No, he said that taking antibiotics as a prophylaxis wouldn't be advisable. He never said that there wasn't risk of illness and he further stated that the on board clinic would have antibiotics for those who needed them.

I have people in my office who have not cruised and won't now after watching all of this.

For a Christmas present we offered my mother-in-law a selection of trips, one of which was a cruise. She's never cruised and was leaning toward that option, until this. Now she's looking at one of the other options.

My wife and I have our persuasion stories ready, because we think she still really wants to do the cruise. She's just scared and specifically pointed to this incident.

Try it in your own home.

Open your patio door or front door all the way in the middle of summer and see how well all the other rooms stay cool.

Or do the same in the middle of winter and see how warm all the other rooms stay.

Exactly! People don't realize that opeing a door or a window in a closed AC/heating system just screws up the system. It is not a design flaw.

Well, I am by no means a CCL cheerleader, but we on the RCCL boards are just as interested in this as ya'll are and this thread seems to be the only one still being commented upon so we're here too.

It seems to me that the cruise industry as a whole,( considering there are dozens of ships on dozens of lines departing several times each week 52 weeks out of the year), has a decent record of safety. Just because an incident gets major press and is indeed deplorable for the people involved doesn't mean that the percentage of these types of incidents are not just a fraction of safely conducted cruises.

Just as with airplane crashes, it is a very small percentage. Of course for the passies, that is no consideration, but for me, it will never deter us from cruising. I wish all of them well and will be glad they are getting home today.

You have no idea if you would ever cruise again IF you were on that ship, to sit at your computer and say oh that wouldn't bother me is not realistic. Until you were in there shoes you have no idea what you would do.

Archived