Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

News 92 FM in Houston has played an interview with a Houston woman who's mother is on the ship. She has somehow been able to speak with her mother. Her mother said that passengers have been told that they will be in Mobile between 9-10pm tonight. She said her mother does not want to get on a bus. She also said her mother is cold, as she only took warm weather clothes.

The radio station can be streamed. I'm sure they will replay the interview soon.

Does this mean the other ships will get back to their old service levels?

Heh. Can't comment. :D

FWIW, We had excellent service aboard Imagination in December. if they're understaffed then they're working their arses off to make up for it.

It's also logistically much easier. That said, if CNN is right the point is moot as most want to just be bused back to Galveston as soon as they debark.

What, have they taken a poll...????

If it were me, I wouldn't budge from Mobil without a shower and a sandwich at least! You'd think they could arrange at least a high school gym shower somewhere at least that passengers could clean up at and then move on to the buses or whatever...really....:rolleyes:

I wonder if Carnival will be giving the crew time off to recover from this? Will they get some financial compensation? Such as a few days off with pay and reimbursement of tips?

I posted earlier that they will get a few days and then will be Vessel Transferred to other ships, the ones who were set to sign off for vacation in the next few cruises will be sent home.

At a 90 degree list.. the walls become the floor, and the ship is sinking.... What he is saying is that at 45 degrees.. the walls and the floor are at the same angle if your trying to walk down a hallway.. and your walking where the floor meets the wall...

Someone once gave me a good analogy--the floor becomes the bottom of the "V."

If that ship rolled 45 deg, there would be serious injuries, not only from people flying across the decks, but from being struck by loose items.

Pretty safe to say it didnt happen. 30deg is a major roll on a cruise ship. Crap will be all over the place.

billd

Absolutely correct!

Since most people don't own an inclinometer or level that shows degrees it's hard to get an idea. However here is an idea! If you have a smart phone search your app/play store for "inclinometer", "tilt meter", "level" (some have degrees display, read the description). These come in free versions.

Once you get something that shows tilt, place it on a table that you can pick up easily. Move anything that can be wrecked off the table, but you can put something like a book, bowling pin (watch the feet!), or whatever you like that' s durable!

Now calibrate so you have 0 degrees (read the description/app help if you're lost!) simulating a perfect condition one would experience at port. Start by lifting the table by one end. Do it slowly as ships don't move that fast (if they do you're in big trouble!).

Note the angle at which things begin to slide. It will be FAR less than 45 degrees! After the table is clear continue to lift (you will need something to hold your phone down!!!) until you reach 45 degrees. Now imagine the surface of the table is the deck of a ship. Unless you are spider man or have some burglar's suction cups (and smooth surface to use them on!) there is NO way humanly possible you can stay put, let alone walk or do anything. This much heel would pretty much wreck the interior of the vessel. Not to mention cause numerous human casualty. Get it?

Now that you have a working inclinometer and know how to use it, next time you're on a ship set it on the table while under way and prepare to be underwhelmed. Even when the ship is rocking and rolling where walking becomes a challenge to the non inebriated, you will notice the roll/pitch is not that bad!

Have fun, be safe!

Best wishes to all souls aboard M/S Triumph.

Cheers,

Norman

You have no idea if you would ever cruise again IF you were on that ship, to sit at your computer and say oh that wouldn't bother me is not realistic. Until you were in there shoes you have no idea what you would do.

Oh but you can speak for me???? LOL...good one.

You can bet the farm on it Dude!:cool:

Well, I am by no means a CCL cheerleader, but we on the RCCL boards are just as interested in this as ya'll are and this thread seems to be the only one still being commented upon so we're here too.

It seems to me that the cruise industry as a whole,( considering there are dozens of ships on dozens of lines departing several times each week 52 weeks out of the year), has a decent record of safety. Just because an incident gets major press and is indeed deplorable for the people involved doesn't mean that the percentage of these types of incidents are not just a fraction of safely conducted cruises.

Just as with airplane crashes, it is a very small percentage. Of course for the passies, that is no consideration, but for me, it will never deter us from cruising. I wish all of them well and will be glad they are getting home today.

What is a "passie?"

I personally have no problem with the way Carnival is handling this situation (at least the way i appears from land) It sucks for those on the Triumph, but unfortunately bad things do happen, even when you're on vacation. I'm sure nobody wanted this to happen less than Carnival, with millions in revenue surely lost.

The worst part of the future of the Triumph is the thought of overflowing toilets(raw sewage) in the lower decks. I imagine all of the carpeting wil have to be replaced, and I personally won't book a future cruise on Triumph for this reason alone, a bit of a germaphobe.....

However I'd have no problem booking any other ship tommorrow.

If I were on this cruise however I'd like to have the cruise fee refunded and whatever travel refunded (air fare) other than that a good discount on a future cruise would be nice.....and I'd have a great story to tell.

I do feel bad for the workers on Triumph, looks like they couuld be out of work for a couple of months(servers,porters,waiters, etc..)

What about your lost wages?

It's true that sea tugs capable of pulling this ship are few and far between, but if these were available why weren't they dispatched immediately like the first two? Another stupid PR blunder for CCL?

It's more likely they were doing something else, and had to finish one job before starting another.

If that's the case, they aren't coming in tonight. It's already been made very clear by the authorities that they can't dock that ship in the dark in Mobile.

It's not clear to me if the comments about not docking Wednesday night and waiting for the morning were because the harbor would not have been entered in daylight. It may be that the concern is with towing the ship through the harbor in the dark as opposed to the actual process of docking her.

As I write this CNN is reporting that Triumph has been further delayed, even with 4 tugs working and she is not expected in until sometime between 9 pm and midnight. Triumph is apparently still 50 miles out.

CNN just said that the harbor master told them Triumph is too big to tow safely into the harbor in the dark. So unless something changes it seems likely that Triumph won't get in until tomorrow morning.

It's beginning to look like a voyage of the damned.

lol... I brought extra's, and had our non-drinker's bring some also, for us who did drink!!! We had so much we left 3 bottles when we left after our 7 day trip.. Just say'n if you got it, drink it!! :eek:

Since when does Carnival allow people to bring bottles of booze?

Just a quick question..If the rooms have no power eg a/c and lights, how are pax supposed to pack their belongings?

The ship has never been completely without power. There is emergency lighting in all cabins. It would be dim but ocean view and balcony cabins would have daylight to help. Although the most recent pictures on CNN show overcast conditions.

Oh they have a CVB, but the CVB doesn't seem to run a centralized block booking system with direct feeds to hotel reservations (they may have one, I couldn't find it). Most CVBs don't except in large convention and tourist cities.

Your assertion that it MUST be for cost in that there could be no other option is specious, in fact you refute it. Since they have to move them again in NOLA as noted, any incremental savings would be eaten up by busing up to 3000 people there. Lets assume $20 per room savings, which is probably high (the holiday inn in Mobile is showing $89 so thats over 20 percent markdown). So for 1500 rooms, $30,000. Tour bus seats 40-50, you are going to need about 50 to be safe for a round trip plus cleaning, so lets say $500 per bus plus misc expenses, you will pay a premium to get that many. So that's $20-$25K right there.

So your contention they would do all that hassle for $5K in savings or so. Doubt it.

http://www.cvent.com/rfp/mobile-hotels/mobile-bay-convention-visitors-bureau/venue-047a48e20e7f4e4facd3bf10d05a9d8c.aspx

There is most definitely a CVB that could have assisted in the securing of hotel rooms in Mobile. They are going to be moving people again after they get them to NOLA. This was entirely a cost cutting situation.

No, he said that taking antibiotics as a prophylaxis wouldn't be advisable. He never said that there wasn't risk of illness and he further stated that the on board clinic would have antibiotics for those who needed them.

I disagree...he did say there would not be issues with illness from the conditions on board.

If they can't dock tonight, can they tender? (Now, I know they won't -but hypothetically, could they?)

Since they are in a calm harbor, the tender risks that existed in the open ocean are gone. Or do tenders not operate in the dark either?

It wouldn't be a good way to get luggage off, but at least the people could get off! Even if you were told you'd have to wait another day for your stuff, I can't imagine anyone would choose to stay onboard until they dock. Heck, if I had family waiting for me, I might just go home without my stuff.

We had a night port in a few places in Europe that we didn't dock and the tenders ran until around 2:00 am.

Archived