"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

Relax, just wish it an it will be so.

In the mean time, RCI will be competing with this awesome looking NCL product in the NY/NJ area:

Eric

I agree.....we have been on the Explorer 5 times...6th coming up...and we are looking at this ship out of NY also.....

Only thing stopping us right now is the itinerary...I prefer the 9 night carib. rather than Bermuda only....

But I do agree, RCI has to be looking at the competition and they will need to step it up....

This is great, I'm already looking into 2015 and hopefully Quantum is out of Bayonne because I'll be booking the June 18, 2015 cruise as soon as it opens for DD's high school graduation. Unfortunately, we are doing the same itinerary for Easter Break 2014 with Explorer. It's not a bad itinerary, but would like to change it up a bit.

As someone else said, I am also tired of booking flights, pre-cruise hotels, meals, etc. In actuality, with the airline rates going sky high, weight restrictions on baggage fees, etc. it all adds up and it isn't less expensive to cruise out of Florida anymore.

This is great, I'm already looking into 2015 and hopefully Quantum is out of Bayonne because I'll be booking the June 18, 2015 cruise as soon as it opens for DD's high school graduation. Unfortunately, we are doing the same itinerary for Easter Break 2014 with Explorer. It's not a bad itinerary, but would like to change it up a bit.

As someone else said, I am also tired of booking flights, pre-cruise hotels, meals, etc. In actuality, with the airline rates going sky high, weight restrictions on baggage fees, etc. it all adds up and it isn't less expensive to cruise out of Florida anymore.

Actually it still is. You may not find it cheaper but national airfare flight are actually cheaper on average to Florida then flying up north. You have more flights and more people coming to Florida. There for the routes are typically cheaper.so in your basic opinion it's not cheaper for YOU. But it's still cheaper for the rest of the country to fly to Florida. Rccl takes this into consideration.

I actually could not agree more, I like the terminal there. Its just a building to check in, and get to the beautiful ship awaiting you to take you on a great vacation. I don't understand the complaints about the terminal, but there are a lot, so maybe I am wrong.

Just got back from an Explorer cruise on Tuesday and I thought the terminal was terrible for older people. They have only four small park like benches for all the people congregating and waiting for others in their party before checking in. It was freezing and very chaotic with the porters yelling at car service drivers and passengers alike. Leaving was even worse. They give you a parking space sized area to stand in for all your luggage. I counted 24 people squashed into the space with luggage waiting for a car service and even then the porters were yelling at (yes, actually yelling at) people to squish themselves into the narrow space. It was pretty ridiculous.

Actually it still is. You may not find it cheaper but national airfare flight are actually cheaper on average to Florida then flying up north. You have more flights and more people coming to Florida. There for the routes are typically cheaper.so in your basic opinion it's not cheaper for YOU. But it's still cheaper for the rest of the country to fly to Florida. Rccl takes this into consideration.

Actually, I book cruises based on the school schedule and holidays (Jersey Week, Thanksgiving, Easter week). That's why I'm finding that flying to Florida during this time is ridiculously expensive during this time so I'm finding it's cheaper for us to take cruises closer to home.

OH PLEASE! :rolleyes:

Nobody is taking your ships away. It's people expressing opinions, opinions with lots of validity at that.

Weather is absolutely an issue! What are you talking about? I lived in NY, unfortunately, for a year in the 90's. A warm day in NJ is 40-45 in January, a cold day in Florida is 65-70 (shorts weather). The cost of transportation and lodging is astronomically higher in the areas around Cape Liberty.

For what it's worth, we sailed on Voyager out of Bayonne in 2004 and would never leave from the NE again. It was cold and the port was a disaster, from the drop off area to the shuttle ride to the ship. The passenger base was rude, opinionated, cold/unfriendly. Not "Jersey Shore" material, but guido, yes. Never, ever, ever again. Quantum is out for us.

Florida and Seattle/Vancouver get a nice mix of passengers. Bayonne, not.

Yes, and so are cruise rates that Royal Caribbean just drools over.

Voyager was not in Bayonne year round in 2004....probably May thru October...How is it that you were COLD? Oh never mind....the answer is your post above, I think you fit right in with the Jersey crowd.

Yes, and so are cruise rates that Royal Caribbean just drools over.

Voyager was not in Bayonne year round in 2004....probably May thru October...How is it that you were COLD? Oh never mind....the answer is your post above, I think you fit right in with the Jersey crowd.

Jersey Strong !!! Neighbor :)

Actually, I book cruises based on the school schedule and holidays (Jersey Week, Thanksgiving, Easter week). That's why I'm finding that flying to Florida during this time is ridiculously expensive during this time so I'm finding it's cheaper for us to take cruises closer to home.

That's usually our time frame also, and the last week of August.

Airfare from Utah to NY/NJ area is around $350 vs $550-600 to get to FL. That is why I have started looking into cruising out of NY/NJ. If RCCL does replace Explorer with Quantum, I am considering doing NCL because it is still cheaper with airfare than FL or San Juan.

Airfare from Utah to NY/NJ area is around $350 vs $550-600 to get to FL. That is why I have started looking into cruising out of NY/NJ. If RCCL does replace Explorer with Quantum, I am considering doing NCL because it is still cheaper with airfare than FL or San Juan.

Wondering out loud if that's based on supply and demand and seasonal variations...

Just got back from San Juan on a $335 ticket and South Florida last month for $188.

That's weird. I justo checked and can fly from ft Lauderdale to SLC or visa versa for $370 round trip. Your numbers don't add up. Sorry.

That's weird. I justo checked and can fly from ft Lauderdale to SLC or visa versa for $370 round trip. Your numbers don't add up. Sorry.

I'm with CruiserNic... I'm from SLC as well and fly down to FLL several times a year and consistantly pay about $550 to $600 round trip for flights.

Orlando and Tampa are always less expensive to get to from here that FLL or MIA for some reason.

My flight to EWR in September for Explorer was about $400... so much more reasonable.

Anyone see a connection: Kristen Chenoweth, Godmother of Quantum, was the original Glenda in "Wicked" the smash New York Broadway hit that still sells out audiences today, over 10 years later - now we have Quantum, and Chenoweth together. I say Quantum will be a Bayonne, New Jersey ship with a Broadway-style hit musical presentation on the ship called, "Wicked".

Anyone see a connection: Kristen Chenoweth, Godmother of Quantum, was the original Glenda in "Wicked" the smash New York Broadway hit that still sells out audiences today, over 10 years later - now we have Quantum, and Chenoweth together. I say Quantum will be a Bayonne, New Jersey ship with a Broadway-style hit musical presentation on the ship called, "Wicked".

From your lips (fingers), to the cruise gods ears! :)

Well, I'm sorry that my numbers don't add up for you, but they are not my numbers. They are the numbers that Delta gives me, no matter what month or week I put into their system.

I'm with CruiserNic... I'm from SLC as well and fly down to FLL several times a year and consistantly pay about $550 to $600 round trip for flights.

Orlando and Tampa are always less expensive to get to from here that FLL or MIA for some reason.

My flight to EWR in September for Explorer was about $400... so much more reasonable.

Thank you!!

I have been following this thread for a while and have a few things... Firstly, I feel like some of the posts are getting a little anti-Jersey and I do not really see the need for it. I cruised out of Bayonne in '09 with a lovely assortment of people from all over. I have also lived in NJ for 5 years and not everyone is Snooki. If the QoS comes to Bayonne, no one will force you to Gym-Tan-Laundry all week. People who cruise out of the NY area are just as nice (or not nice!) as people who cruise out of anywhere else.

Ok mini-rant over. More importantly, I have been looking at Explorer prices for this summer since I am sick of flying- and they are INSANE. $1800pp for a balcony. And this is for a 10 (or so, I think) year old ship that is due a refit. If you can get people to cough up that kind of dough to cruise out of this area on an old ship, can you imagine a shiny new one?!! I think RCI would be crazy not to do this, especially with the Oasis/Allure/potential 3rd Oasis class all going out of Florida. Even looked into the Breakaway, which is priced very similarly. Obviously demand is there. Hopefully RCI takes full advantage!

From your lips (fingers), to the cruise gods ears! :)

I just had to agree.

I've been on Explorer 4 times and it is like an old, comfortable friend. But we always like something new and different.

And a ship made for cold weather (which I think means a covered solarium).

I just had to agree.

I've been on Explorer 4 times and it is like an old, comfortable friend. But we always like something new and different.

And a ship made for cold weather (which I think means a covered solarium).

I've been on EOS quite a few times myself. As you said, she is still a fine ship that provides a wonderful cruise, but if we got the QOS? Wow, I would book so fast! As I said before, if QOS does not come to Bayonne, I will be on the Breakaway in March 2015. And that's coming from someone whose only NCL cruise was 10 years ago.

Well, I'm sorry that my numbers don't add up for you, but they are not my numbers. They are the numbers that Delta gives me, no matter what month or week I put into their system.

Thank you!!

Ok we'll the prices I posted are united. Anyone can pick the highest price airfare and list it on here:rolleyes: if delta is charging you double the rate other lines are you should be flying with someone else.

Well as I already stated a simple google search will show that airfare doesn't cost $550-600. United has $370 round trip SLC-FLL or visa versa. Facts are facts.

Ok we'll the prices I posted are united. Anyone can pick the highest price airfare and list it on here:rolleyes: if delta is charging you double the rate other lines are you should be flying with someone else.

I really don't know why I am getting into this with you, but I'm bored today......

What are the dates that you are using to get the prices you are seeing? I used the same week in September (just a random date that I chose) and the United prices are $584 to FLL vs $384 to NY. Which, hmmmmm, is pretty close to the prices that Delta was giving me for the same week...........

Well as I already stated a simple google search will show that airfare doesn't cost $550-600. United has $370 round trip SLC-FLL or visa versa. Facts are facts.

You've got to look at the airports and time of departures as this impacts the cost of the airfare. For instance, I got a great deal on Delta to Orlando, but I have to fly out of La Guardia. However, a United flight out of Newark, NJ goes for about $250-300 higher.

Unless this is old news

there is a video of/on internet by a cruiser

aboard Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas last week,

where Hotel Manager Michael Rasmussen discussed briefly the new Quantum of the Seas cruise ship that Royal Caribbean is developing and addressed some of the rumors floating out there.

Some of you will know where to look!!!

Archived