"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

My personal opinion is that even if she calls NJ home, she won't do her inaugural cruise from there. It would really suck if commonly known weather problems cause delays or cancellations of the maiden voyage(s).

However, they could do like Royal Princess and do a "tour", where she visits a couple of ports to do a couple of cruises out of each port (ones that are less likely to be impacted by Mother Nature), and move to another. After a couple of months (say, March or April, if NJ), end up at the final home port. These "tour" cruises would not only generate interest, they would allow for a significant premium on these cruises (which is good business). Leaving another "maiden voyage" out of her home port (and NJ in March or April is less likely to generate dis-interest).

It isn't likely going to happen, but if she did this tour and had one round trip out of my closest (or even reasonably close) port, I would jump on her for any price.

Please tell me the common weather problems. You currently have 2 NCL ship sailing out of NYC to the Bahamas & Carribean and the EXOS sailing year round out of Cape Liberty ????

Not that this makes it 100% or anything, but my friend is a head waiter on Oasis and said after his last Oasis contract next year he would be "joining the Sunshine class in New Jersey." Hope he is right! 20 minute drive for me!

There certainly could be something to this. I mean RCCL has to make plans for where the crew will come from well in advance. Interesting info, thanks.

I suspect launching from NJ will turn off plenty of cruisers, not to mention increase weather-related problems - no matter how great the ship is...

In addition, it further limits new and/or exciting destination ports.

Other sites are reporting Quantum/Anthem may not home port from NJ. Hopefully those are correct.

We traveled out of Bayonne to Quebec Canada throughout the Eastern,Southern,western Caribbean on the Voyager, Explorer, Sillihouete since The port at Cape Liberty opened in 2004.

... it was pretty much sold out.

and this was during a snowstorm (1 day after).

No offense intended, but "pretty much" doesn't instill much confidence on a ship that should be sailing with 100% of the cabins sold at a high premium for at least 1 year. Keep in mind that Mariner "sold out" while it was in L.A., but it was moved because it can sell out at a higher price elsewhere.

Not that this makes it 100% or anything, but my friend is a head waiter on Oasis and said after his last Oasis contract next year he would be "joining the Sunshine class in New Jersey." Hope he is right! 20 minute drive for me!

They usually transfer over the experienced staff to the New Ships. We heard the same last year on The EXOS.

Please tell me the common weather problems. You currently have 2 NCL ship sailing out of NYC to the Bahamas & Carribean and the EXOS sailing year round out of Cape Liberty ????

Come on. Snow affects travel even in areas where it doesn't snow. Airports close, harbors close (though less regularly), and in December it does snow in New Jersey. Though few people (mostly the travelers impacted) really care if bad weather causes delays or cancellations of a cruise, it is high profile if it occurs during the maiden voyage of a high profile ship.

We have sailed out of New York City three times during the winter months. The first day at sea on our January 2009 NCL Gem cruise, the weather was 68 degrees the first morning when we were off Cape Hatteras. It was in the 50s the first morning of our January 2011 and November 2012 "cold weather" cruises. The worst case scenario is that the for the first day you will be indoors. However, the second sea day will be beautiful. If the weather cooperates, you could very well be able to sit outdoors by the pool by Noon on the first sea day.

We are looking forward to the opportunity of crusing on the Quantum of Seas out of Cape Liberty in 2015.

No offense intended, but "pretty much" doesn't instill much confidence on a ship that should be sailing with 100% of the cabins sold at a high premium for at least 1 year. Keep in mind that Mariner "sold out" while it was in L.A., but it was moved because it can sell out at a higher price elsewhere.

Explorer commands a high price. We live 45 minutes away and often find it cheaper to fly to Florida to sail. This is how we got to sail on Mariner out of LA. It was quite a bit cheaper for us to fly from NJ to LA and do a week on Mariner (for a family of 4 in 2 cabins) then it was to do a week on Explorer! I did sail once on her, but the prices have kept me away.

While it would be nice to have Quantum here, I am very concerned about the pricing.

I Guess the "pretty much" Full could sustain 2 NCL ships and The EXOS Year round from the NYC area. We also have the NCL Breakaway arriving in NYC in May with a NYC Theme which will be offering year round cruising from NYC.

We have sailed out of New York City three times during the winter months. The first day at sea on our January 2009 NCL Gem cruise, the weather was 68 degrees the first morning when we were off Cape Hatteras. It was in the 50s the first morning of our January 2011 and November 2012 "cold weather" cruises. The worst case scenario is that the for the first day you will be indoors. However, the second sea day will be beautiful. If the weather cooperates, you could very well be able to sit outdoors by the pool by Noon on the first sea day.

We are looking forward to the opportunity of crusing on the Quantum of Seas out of Cape Liberty in 2015.

And say thank you to the Gulf Stream for the nice warm 65 F spring type weather you have about 230 miles Southeast of NYC or about 20 Hours of cruising from NYC.

Come on. Snow affects travel even in areas where it doesn't snow. Airports close, harbors close (though less regularly), and in December it does snow in New Jersey. Though few people (mostly the travelers impacted) really care if bad weather causes delays or cancellations of a cruise, it is high profile if it occurs during the maiden voyage of a high profile ship.

That's correct a snow storm anywhere on the east coast could effect travel else where. The port of NY usually closes on rear occasions for Hurricanes or a strong Nor-eastern. Yes we had a blizzard in 2010 that closed the. State of NJ for 24 Hours. Super Storm Sandy (a once in a 100 year storm) caused damage to the NYC area. RCCL will place there vessels anywhere to obtain the highest profits.

I agree

Our cruise last week out of Cape Liberty it was about 29 degrees

the next day opened the balconey door and didn't need a coat it was "warm"

we even left the door open a little

Gulf stream bringing up those warm waters.

the way back we had heavy winds and snow which covered the deck (snow was offshore)

Day after Blizzard 2013 all roads cleared out fine Captain said only about 40 people didn't make it and 2 met us in Cape Canaveral \/

857578_10200128500768371_1822410884_o.jpg

Saturday Night off Delaware / Jersey coast SNOW my show prints \/

164434_10200173886502986_693387419_n.jpg

Saturday Night off Delaware / Jersey coast SNOW \/

69596_10200173876982748_999534255_n.jpg

I was thinking that Quantum of the Seas would be there only temporarily

Wonder if the Q might permanently go to Port Canaveral? They are widening and deepening their channel and turning basin, with completion scheduled for late 2014, right when the Q will enter service. It already can handle the Freedom, so why expand unless you're expecting something larger? And they did just open their Terminal 6, which was specifically designed to handle very large ships. Sunshine Class, Sunshine State ... it's all starting to add up.

I agree

the way back we had heavy winds and snow which covered the deck (snow was offshore)

Day after Blizzard 2013 all roads cleared out fine Captain said only about 40 people didn't make it and 2 met us in Cape Canaveral \/

Now just picture a vessel which is about 100' longer and 9' wider than the EXOS. Or slightly

Longer than the (FOS) when she docked there in 2006. The area was also recently dredged so that shouldn't be a problem.

Wonder if the Q might permanently go to Port Canaveral? They are widening and deepening their channel and turning basin, with completion scheduled for late 2014, right when the Q will enter service. It already can handle the Freedom, so why expand unless you're expecting something larger? And they did just open their Terminal 6, which was specifically designed to handle very large ships. Sunshine Class, Sunshine State ... it's all starting to add up.

Looks like The Carnival Cruise Line & Port Canaveral, nice investment for CCL. I'm sure the new terminal will look nice.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/pdf/10022012_news.pdf

I agree

Not to be negative, but that looks like a miserable way to start a cruise.

I'd sail out of just about anywhere except Boston, NJ/NY, or Baltimore. That's just not my idea of a vacation. Whatsoever.

Not to be negative, but that looks like a miserable way to start a cruise.

I'd sail out of just about anywhere except Boston, NJ/NY, or Baltimore. That's just not my idea of a vacation. Whatsoever.

They where on there way home from the cruise, I see the Carnival triumph in your future in the Gulf.

They where on there way home from the cruise, I see the Carnival triumph in your future in the Gulf.

Ok? The Triumph comment doesn't even make sense... But yes the Navigator is great out of the Gulf.

Ah I thought that was their boarding day. But nonetheless, it was somebody's first day :eek:

Ok? The Triumph comment doesn't even make sense... But yes the Navigator is great out of the Gulf.

Ah I thought that was their boarding day. But nonetheless, it was somebody's first day :eek:

No it was there last day going home.

I agree

Snow on a cruise. Lol

I see an Oasis Class ship in Port Canaveral's future. When the third Oasis Class is built, they will probably move one of the first two there.

Bingo. Your Mariner example is a good one.

A New Jersey home base simply would simply be a very poor business decision for trying to fill a very large ship that has issues sailing some of the year because of weather. When airports and roads get shut down for weather for example, no one gets to the ship - period. This happens in the Northeast corridor all the time during winter.

I fly to Philly a dozen times a year and have done so for more than a decade. Flights get severely delayed or canceled plenty there. That's not that far from the rumored NJ port. The airports in that area seem to have major problems if 1 snowflake shows up within 100 miles of that airspace.

The point is....there's no doubt there's a population market, but logistics of a NJ port don't bode well for a full large ship departing potentially having issues during at least 1/3 of the year. Seems that's a big financial risk problem waiting to happen.

The other consideration is that when they have 2 Sunshine ships...would they both depart from the same port like they have done with the Oasis ships? If so...that would double the risk with a NJ departure port.

That also raises the question - where will the 3rd Oasis class ship base port?

You also add 2 cruise days to get to the warm belt of the Caribbean by launching that far north, limiting availability to some of the better destination ports or requiring additional cruise length times (at a higher price) to make it happen. All additional bad decisions.

One last theory/rumor...the NJ port will be used for perhaps a short time until a new/upgraded terminal in another location is ready and becomes the permanent home in a warmer climate.

Archived