"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

Well who knows for sure. She may also be heading to San Juan, PR. With that what can we say about the home port.

RCCL Headquarters is in Miami and with a name like "Quantum" does anyone here think that they might have her leave from thier own back yard. The only RCI ships that leaves from Miami continuosly is Majesty OTS. Just a thought assuming the terminal is big enoug since I have never sailed out of Miami.

See link below.

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/prnt_ed/talks-to-dredge-pier-3-underway-8187.html

Thanks for the article, it looks like the QOS will be visiting San Juan Every other Tuesday during the 2015 late Spring/Summer. We also have The Govt. Of Bermuda retrofitting the Dock at the Dockyard for larger RCCL vessels. The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20121211/NEWS/712119924

Thanks for the article, it looks like the QOS will be visiting San Juan Every other Tuesday during the 2015 late Spring/Summer. We also have The Govt. Of Bermuda retrofitting the Dock at the Dockyard for larger RCCL vessels. The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20121211/NEWS/712119924

Likewise thanks for this article. I recall hearing about this. Has the work commenced yet?

I think you've been brainwashed by the cast of the Jersey Shore. You probably couln't afford to live by the Jersey Shore. Stay away from Jersey and waste away in Florida.

I'm sorry it's just that NJ, specifically the northeastern side of NJ, is a gloomy, nasty, and a miserable place to visit, much less start a cruise. There are be nice areas in NJ, but you certainly don't see them between Newark or NY and Cape Liberty. It is a miserable area and the passengers reflect it. It leaves passengers from other areas a terrible taste in their mouth and I think if, God forbid, RCI is going to leave from the NYC area, it should be from the terminals in New York, which actually has something to offer.

Well who knows for sure. She may also be heading to San Juan, PR. With that what can we say about the home port.

RCCL Headquarters is in Miami and with a name like "Quantum" does anyone here think that they might have her leave from thier own back yard. The only RCI ships that leaves from Miami continuosly is Majesty OTS. Just a thought assuming the terminal is big enoug since I have never sailed out of Miami.

See link below.

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/prnt_ed/talks-to-dredge-pier-3-underway-8187.html

She could very well be leaving from MIA as San Juan would fit into that schedule with a Saturday departure. She could even be doing 7 day Bermuda cruises from South Florida and 7 day Eastern Caribbean. Quantum is supposed to be revolutionary, why not start with a revolutionary itinerary. Plus, it is dubbed "Project Sunshine" not "Project Garden"

Likewise thanks for this article. I recall hearing about this. Has the work commenced yet?

Some of the equipment from the states started to arrive last week. Hopefully it will be ready in May for the NCL Breakaway.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130218/NEWS/702189930

I'm sorry it's just that NJ, specifically the northeastern side of NJ, is a gloomy, nasty, and a miserable place to visit, much less start a cruise. There are be nice areas in NJ, but you certainly don't see them between Newark or NY and Cape Liberty. It is a miserable area and the passengers reflect it. It leaves passengers from other areas a terrible taste in their mouth and I think if, God forbid, RCI is going to leave from the NYC area, it should be from the terminals in New York, which actually has something to offer.

I'M sure RCCl has the same feelings as you do.

She could very well be leaving from MIA as San Juan would fit into that schedule with a Saturday departure. She could even be doing 7 day Bermuda cruises from South Florida and 7 day Eastern Caribbean. Quantum is supposed to be revolutionary, why not start with a revolutionary itinerary. Plus, it is dubbed "Project Sunshine" not "Project Garden"

It's dubbed "Project Sunshine" so that it can be an all-weather ship. i.e. So it can leave from a cold weather port.

Ok. I'm done here. Obviously you haven't been following along since RCI's original Sunshine announcement.

If you read their press releases about the ships, there is no mention of what you speak of. I suspect people are hearing this through the rumor mill and running with it and/or taking it as truth.

It was Adam himself that called it an all weather ship in his blog.

If you could find that, I would like to see the link.

This however was posted by Adam.

22 January 2013:

"...at this time we have no plans to alter either Allure or Oasis of the Seas current itineraries. Additionally, we have no plans to add any more ships to leave from Bayonne. Thank you."

Good point about them not adding an additional ship. Would be too crowded with both a brand new ship and Explorer. Guess he will be moving one of them.

I am not being facetious, I am genuinely asking if anybody has the link.

I do like that idea. In reading through most of the comments from various sites, it seems that most people would like to see different ports of call especially including the Souhern Caribbean. St Maarten makes sense currently as it has the infrastructure in place to handle big ships.

Here is another to consider. How about Port Canaveral? There is no ship currently sailing from the Royal Caribben terminal on Saturdays. Same one that Freedom OTS uses. We know that Carnival Dream jut added new sailings to S. Caribbean fom Port Canaveral. So with that, as Royal Caribbean would put it "Why not"

If you read their press releases about the ships, there is no mention of what you speak of. I suspect people are hearing this through the rumor mill and running with it and/or taking it as truth.

That's absolutely the case....much of it is just rumor.

Having just been in San Juan on Adventure this past week...we also were told that all the construction there in the harbor was to accommodate stops for Oasis and other "new large RCCL ships". What does that mean? It could mean a number of things.

We were also told via several RCCL e-mails that the new Quantum ships were named "Sunshine Class" based on their "new, different, and expanded access to the warm sunny feeling on a cruise" - not anything necessarily tied to handling bad weather.

The other dynamic happening is that there have been multiple announcements (including one in Brazil) the past few days about the desire for RCCL to port somewhere in that country...and that construction was seen in 2 ports there to accommodate large ships. That also makes the known information about St. Maarten further substantiate destinations further South as well.

Finally...several existing Caribbean ports have started upgrade and expansion projects on their ports - some of which include support for larger ships.

RCCL also has several ships coming up in the next 12 months for dry dock refurbishes to add features and modernize them.

All this activity, along with the addition of another Oasis ship and 2 Sunshine ships in the next 18 months or so lends itself to some itinerary changes, shifts in ship destinations, and new destinations.

It's reasonable to assume that with all those adjustments, Quantum and Anthem will be a part of a bigger set of changes to come.

With many millions of dollars at stake and a fragile cruise industry, it's also reasonable to assume that RCCL has done and will continue to do plenty of marketing homework about the impact of specific ports, weather, and other factors that could impact revenue and cabin sale success.

I'm leaning toward NY/NJ as home port not only because of the St Maarten schedule similarities to the current EOS itinerary, but also because of the new announcement of Kristen Chenowith as godmother. Think about it...a Broadway star serving as godmother on a new ship based in the New York area. What a great tie in. Now we can only hope that she reprises her role in Wicked for the inaugural sailing aboard Quantum.

I'm leaning toward NY/NJ as home port not only because of the St Maarten schedule similarities to the current EOS itinerary, but also because of the new announcement of Kristen Chenowith as godmother. Think about it...a Broadway star serving as godmother on a new ship based in the New York area. What a great tie in. Now we can only hope that she reprises her role in Wicked for the inaugural sailing aboard Quantum.

I agree...Kristen Chenowith says broadway to me and that means NY/NJ I hope!:)

I have been on the EOS 4 times and like everyone else on these boards I would love a change with a 9 or more day itinerary ( not the 7 day).

I resent that. I've sailed on EX and find passengers from all over the world that aren't miserable, gloomy or nasty. And I've also sailed out of Flordia and then don't seem as mean spirited as you either

Still have my hopes up for a Florida home port but will follow the

Lady Quantum wherever she sails from. :D:)Waiting on Inaugural sailing news.

You and me both. After all we are Canadians looking to escape the cold weather:D.

Andrew

Archived