"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

The double occupancy figure for Voyager class ships is 3114. The number you gave is the maximum capacity. I have not seen a definitive statement whether the 4100 projected capacity for the Quantum class ships is DO or maximum capacity. Since it is the only number given out, I am guessing it is the DO number. If it is DO, the Maximum capacity could be 4800 or more.

That's a lot of passengers in a very small terminal. :eek:

USCG capacities --

Voyager - 3,840

Freedom - 4,375

Quantum - 5,335 ??? Mid-way between Freedom and Oasis

Oasis - 6,296

Oh well, FIRELT5, you'll probably get more information for us on your Thanksgiving cruise.

USCG capacities --

Voyager - 3,840

Freedom - 4,375

Oasis - 6,296

Oh well, FIRELT5, you'll probably get more information for us on your Thanksgiving cruise.

Hopefully we will all receive some more info from RCCL before November. 5335 passengers + the additional crew would be difficult for Cape Liberty to handle. At least it's fun to speculate :)

USCG capacities --

Voyager - 3,840

Freedom - 4,375

Oasis - 6,296

Steve, do they still have the Diamond breakfast area in the main dinning room on the EXOS ??

Also, during lunch is the hot pasta/salad bar still set up in the dinning room on sea days ??

TNX

Ken

. . .

Quantum - 5,335 ???

. . .

I think that is pretty high for Quantum's potential passenger impact. The number released by RCI from the beginning was 4100. To me it is not clear whether that is a double occupancy figure or a maximum capacity figure. My best guess is double occupancy since that is the way the capacity of vessels is usually given. Assuming the maximum capacity is about 18% higher [which is around the average], the maximum capacity would be in the range of 4800. But there is a heck of a lot we don't know yet.

I think that is pretty high for Quantum's potential passenger impact. The number released by RCI from the beginning was 4100. To me it is not clear whether that is a double occupancy figure or a maximum capacity figure. My best guess is double occupancy since that is the way the capacity of vessels is usually given. Assuming the maximum capacity is about 18% higher [which is around the average], the maximum capacity would be in the range of 4800. But there is a heck of a lot we don't know yet.

IMHO 4800 Max would be a problem especially @ Disembarkation in Bayonne :

To me, it is not the terminal building, per se, but the need to pile into the shuttle bus :eek: from the terminal to the ship, and back. That is the hassle that I do not look forward to. :(

Just my opinion, which doesn't keep me from using Cape Liberty. :D

Ray in NH

My thoughts exactly...Not the terminal but the bus ride.

USCG capacities --

Voyager - 3,840

Freedom - 4,375

Oasis - 6,296

We'll be on Explorer in just over four weeks :cool: Maybe there will be some definitive news being released by then :confused:

Ray in NH

Academy Bus company just landed a multi-year contract with the terminal. Sorry, lol

As stated earlier, the bus jaunts are my biggest "peeve" with Cape Liberty Terminal. Currently, that doesn't keep me from using the facility (see signature), but with an even larger ship??? Time will tell.

Ray in NH

It's not that EOS or QOS will not be profitable. It is ensuring the maximum profit by having the maximum margin. Keep in mind that Mariner was profitable when out of L.A. to Mexico. RCI determined that it could make more money with a different itinerary and moved it - despite that also very large contingent of folks who did drive to the port.

EOS does have a premium over Jewel, but not by much. And it does not have a premium over Oasis. The suggestion of Breakaway doing "boatloads" of money; it's premium is barely above EOS, but is already publishing prices that are less than EOS. And this is the new flagship which should be commanding a significant premium - especially since there definitely won't be a Quantum of the Seas in the same run for at least 18 months.

Oasis/Allure set the bar for Quantum/Anthem, such that prices for equivalent cabins should be at least the price as Oasis/Allure. Why: because they could easily move Oasis to the Mediteranean after her dry dock (which would allow her to continue getting the current - or more per cabin). Then move Quantum to Oasis's previous route and get more than what Oasis is getting now. The question then is if Quantum can reasonably sustain $1500 to $2000 pp for a balcony stateroom (possibly adjusted by local cost differences) if running out of the New York area with a Bermuda/Bahama/Caribbean/Canada run? Because it can if it took Oasis's spot (and Oasis possibly does better - shareholders like this).

Further, local passengers still don't make up any majority on the major ships (with the possible exception of ships sailing from San Juan), so though there probably will be more interest from locals, it is important that this isn't offset by a reduction of traveling passengers (which will drop demand, and drop prices). Not to mention potential bad press/goodwill should the inaugural winter months be mired by weather.

Demand has been good for EOS, but it still hasn't been as good as Oasis or Allure. I am unconvinced that this market can sustain the new flagship of RCI. And RCCL shareholders don't care about appeasing locals, but maximizing profits which is best suited by best matching ships, ports, itineraries and prices. But again, I don't have the marketing studies, and I don't make the decision.

Then again, maybe what it will do is similar to what Royal Princess is doing: have a couple of months of "tour" cruises before settling into it's home port.

If Quantum or Anthem comes to Bayonne a balcony stateroom will easily be around the 1500-2000 range….no doubt about that. You can’t compare how good the demand is between the Explorer and Oasis/Allure. In fact nothing within the fleet is a good comparison to those two ships. Oasis/Allure premium prices are because of the ships not because they homeport in Florida. On the other hand, I think Explorer’s relatively high pricing is based more so on the homeport itself. So my guess is that matching a brand new ship with a high growing market in NJ/NY has a strong potential for maximum profits….at least for couple of years anyway. We’ll just have to wait and see.

If Quantum or Anthem comes to Bayonne a balcony stateroom will easily be around the 1500-2000 range….no doubt about that. You can’t compare how good the demand is between the Explorer and Oasis/Allure. In fact nothing within the fleet is a good comparison to those two ships. Oasis/Allure premium prices are because of the ships not because they homeport in Florida. On the other hand, I think Explorer’s relatively high pricing is based more so on the homeport itself. So my guess is that matching a brand new ship with a high growing market in NJ/NY has a strong potential for maximum profits….at least for couple of years anyway. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Hey Neighbor , the EXOS is easily commanding that price + for a 9 nt sailings during the Summer of 2014.

Hey Neighbor , the EXOS is easily commanding that price + for a 9 nt sailings during the Summer of 2014.

Hi there......Exactly and has been for years too.

I think you and I will sniff Quantum or Anthem's new ship smell in our backyards!;):D

Steve, do they still have the Diamond breakfast area in the main dinning room on the EXOS ??

Also, during lunch is the hot pasta/salad bar still set up in the dinning room on sea days ??

TNX

Ken

Both are still there. Actually the days we used the MDR it was very crowded.

If Quantum or Anthem comes to Bayonne a balcony stateroom will easily be around the 1500-2000 range….no doubt about that.

The whole NJ Port thing is one person's rumor...nothing more. It was based on hearsay information 2nd hand, and could just as easily be totally wrong.

Based on the size of the ship from early information (larger than Liberty but smaller than Oasis...it'll take a big terminal to service it in a port, and even destination ports will need to be able to handle a larger ship of that size.

That could mean Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, or other home port. San Juan, for example, is already know to be expanding it's harbor and terminal facilities to accept the 3rd Oasis ship being built as a destination port.

There simply are very few facts about Quantum (or Anthem) at this time.

As for getting some facts...Quantum will have St. Maarten as one of its destination ports...starting in January 2015.

Why would one assume that?

Because there is documentation to support it (below)...note the 3rd listing for 1/29/15.

1177874920_St_MaartenPortInformation.jpg.2e713d4ae2751a9e9ac5aab7900aa9c8.jpg

The whole NJ Port thing is one person's rumor...nothing more. It was based on hearsay information 2nd hand, and could just as easily be totally wrong.

Based on the size of the ship from early information (larger than Liberty but smaller than Oasis...it'll take a big terminal to service it in a port, and even destination ports will need to be able to handle a larger ship of that size.

That could mean Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, or other home port. San Juan, for example, is already know to be expanding it's harbor and terminal facilities to accept the 3rd Oasis ship being built as a destination port.

As for getting some facts...Quantum will have St. Maarten as one of its destination ports...starting in January 2015.

Because there is documentation to support it (below)...note the 3rd listing for 1/29/15.

1) The 1st Visit for the QOS to St. Maarten will be on 12/5/14

2) The QOS is (Rumored) to be slightly larger than the Freedom Class and considerably smaller than the Oasis or Allure. Furthermore Cape Liberty (Bayonne)& The Manhattan Pier were used for the Freedom of The Seas Christening which took place in NY Harbor on 5/12/2006.

3) The DockYard which is located in the westend of Bermuda, is currently being retrofitted

for the NCL Breakaway and other larger New Builds. The Completion date will be in May 2013. The ports located at San Juan, St. Thomas, Labadee, St. Maarten could easily handle this type of vessel.

4) The Bermuda cruise season here in the NYC area usually starts at the end of April and lasts until Late October. The EXOS 9 Day Bermuda/Carribean, bi-monthly cruise schedule

is unique, since its a 40 Hour Voyage from Bermuda to This area of the eastern Carribean.

The Bi-Monthly Monday 1215 arrival at St. Maarteen is the current Itin for the EXOS during The Bermuda/Carribean 9 Day Voyage. This is an old Itin schedule that dates back to 2006 for us that frequently Sail on the EXOS during The Bermuda/Carribean Season.

We should all know by Mid-April

Carnival only Departs from Manhattan in the NYC Metro area. Bayonne (Cape Liberty) is leased to RCCL.

Despite Cape Liberty's flaws and warts (real or percieved) I would still rather sail from there than NYC's Manhattan Terminals. We have cruised from each a number of times.

Ray in NH

Despite Cape Liberty's flaws and warts (real or percieved) I would still rather sail from there than NYC's Manhattan Terminals. We have cruised from each a number of times.

Ray in NH

The Traffic is horrible at the NYC Pier. Pier 88 is still suffering the effects of Super Storm Sandy with limited power !!!

. . .

2) The QOS is (Rumored) to be slightly larger than the Freedom Class and considerably smaller than the Oasis or Allure. Furthermore Cape Liberty (Bayonne)& The Manhattan Pier were used for the Freedom of The Seas Christening which took place in NY Harbor on 5/12/2006.

. . .

This is based on the official news release by Royal Caribbean, so projected may be a better word than rumored.

Huh?:confused: I never said it was a fact that NJ is the homeport. And the fact about Quantum being in St. Maarten is already posted some pages ago.

I also just got off the Explorer of the Seas Feb 10-17th and at the Q&A

they mentioned that a Sunshine class may fill in for Explorer while dry docked ,

I was thinking that Quantum of the Seas would be there only temporarily

we will see

the Liberty terminal and parking isn't bad

ITS THE 2 LANE ROAD FOR LOADING AND UNLOADING that I thought was a joke 45 minutes to drive 900 feet.

Archived