Fair compensation? Carnival offers $500

Kevnzworld

I think its downright disrespectful that the CEO of Carnival Corp, doesn't say a word and just heads off to watch his basketball team. Guess its's not easy inheriting a cruise line.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/15/news/carnival-cruise-micky-arison/

Hmmm don't remember Richard Fain showing up for the Azamara fire or the Century passenger dumping in France either? The CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines was there, why would they need the Chairman of the Parent Company?

By the time the lawyers get through with this mess each passenger will get between 5-10k. Check your cruise contract, under "Exclusions" look under "Kidnapping Exception". Rarely invoked but there's often a first time for everything.

Hmmm don't remember Richard Fain showing up for the Azamara fire or the Century passenger dumping in France either? The CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines was there, why would they need the Chairman of the Parent Company?

Electricity, running water and plumbing were restored within hours of the fire, though air conditioning remained off.

This is so simple. Carnival has made a standard offer of compensation. It is higher than most of the cruiser's financial damage. If someone has actual damanges that they can document, the Carnival will probably compensate them. Send them the bill that you got for pet care, lost vacation, parking expenses, etc, they probably will cover any real expenses over the 500.

It's the folks that want pain and suffering awards at a high value that cause this to be the way "accidents" are managed by corporations. If you have run a business, you know that there are many people working the system that you have to protect against and causes you not to be able to disclose info, make good faith offers, etc..... JMHO

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is the effect a high profile cruise industry problem like this causes other cruise lines. We're booked for an Oceania cruise in 04/2014. On the Friday before the accident their website showed only four of 17 categories of cabins available, by the Thursday following the accident seven categories showed availability.

Yes, those are probably short term bookings losses. But, with a booking loss which, at least on the surface, appears to hinge directly to this incident comes pressure from the industry organization for the cruise companies for the offending company to "get with it" and cure their problems so the entire industry doesn't suffer long term losses.

In this long run, this is the free market at its best at work. The ongoing conversation between passengers and companies, spoken in $$$, is the most effective passenger bill of rights, for both sides. The lawsuits, while sadly inevitable in our modern world, are only a distraction from the real issues at work here.

A very sad commentary on the status of our judicial system here in the U.S. The U.S. Supreme Court opened the door for almost unlimited advertising in ruling against the Virginia State Bar in the case of Goldfarb v. the Virginia State Bar.

Since that ruling lawyer advertising has been the way to go. Sadly, most of the law schools have relaxed their grading standards allowing the graduation of many who would not have made it in the old days. Also, most jurisdictions have relaxed the grading of their bar exams so that virtually anyone who graduates will easily pass the bar exam. Fifty years ago you had to be fairly intelligent to become and attorney; that is not true today.

Maybe some good news. I recently heard that enrollment in law schools was down and the prediction was some law schools will close in the next 5-10 years. :)

Agree with wvufan.

Regarding the above, I recall the same being said about the Costa Concordia sinking, which was of course far more tragic.

In spite of that, the impact on bookings was minor, and short term.

It's easy to make accusations, but harder to justify them.

Yes, but there seems to be more happening with Carnival Corp ships which someone may connect the dots.

Maybe some good news. I recently heard that enrollment in law schools was down and the prediction was some law schools will close in the next 5-10 years. :)

Also, one of the largest firms in the U.S., recently filed for bankruptcy. The situation here in Fl is an abomination. One fellow who advertises profusely is in effect a franchisor, wherein when someone calls his "firm" with a problem they are often referred to a "lawyer" who is not actually a member of his "firm"; and, said lawyer pays a referral fee to the forwarding entity. Before the Goldfarb case that endeavor would have resulted in a license suspension.

On 20/20 last night they had a show about the Triumph, thought it was pretty good overall

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/troubled-waters-carnival-triumph-18517690

Some of it was the same old stuff (crew works a lot of hours, wages for crew is low, lots of partying, etc), but some good insights too.

One thing you hear and to keep in the back of your mind, even with Concordia with the poor souls that lost their lives, Carnival was only liable for about $60K per passenger, because that is part of a standard cruise contract. Also part of it is the class action waiver. This is true for Celebrity, and any other cruise line as well.

Reality and bottom line is the people on the Triumph getting the $500 is more than they are entitled to from what I read

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

It says basically that they need to give you money back for the cruise and thats it.

I'm not a lawyer but I worked closely with them for years and one thing is for sure, everyone hates them until they need one. :D

On 20/20 last night they had a show about the Triumph, thought it was pretty good overall

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/troubled-waters-carnival-triumph-18517690

Some of it was the same old stuff (crew works a lot of hours, wages for crew is low, lots of partying, etc), but some good insights too.

One thing you hear and to keep in the back of your mind, even with Concordia with the poor souls that lost their lives, Carnival was only liable for about $60K per passenger, because that is part of a standard cruise contract. Also part of it is the class action waiver. This is true for Celebrity, and any other cruise line as well.

Reality and bottom line is the people on the Triumph getting the $500 is more than they are entitled to from what I read

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

It says basically that they need to give you money back for the cruise and thats it.

Hi, that 20/20 was a full repeat.....they showed the exact same thing

after the Costa/Italy crash last year.......nothing new at all was

shown:eek:. Same host, same stories, everything.

Hi, that 20/20 was a full repeat.....they showed the exact same thing

after the Costa/Italy crash last year.......nothing new at all was

shown:eek:. Same host, same stories, everything.

No, actually first 10 minutes were new, and focused just on the Triumph, and then they added on the other piece on at the end

I'm not a lawyer but I worked closely with them for years and one thing is for sure, everyone hates them until they need one. :D

Not everybody on the Celebrity Board appreciates the lawyer "knocking" comments........

Monika

No, actually first 10 minutes were new, and focused just on the Triumph, and then they added on the other piece on at the end

Ohhhh....when I was channel surfing I must have missed the beginning.

Thanks for the correction.

That is true, but sadly the profession that I enjoyed has mostly become not much more than a commercial enterprise. I recall a survey conducted by the Missouri Bar Association about 50 years ago wherein a majority of the respondents displayed a significant dislike for the legal profession, but were pleased with the conduct and expertise of their personal attorney. And this was back in the days when the practice of law was essntially a profession and not mostly a commercial enterprise.

Archived