Kettles on Transatlantic

cadburysmom

Celebrity provided an electric kettle on our Eclipse cruise to the Baltic which was WONDERFUL but no kettle on same ship when cruising Caribbean.

Am wondering if Celebrity will provide one on my upcoming Equinox transatlantic and if not, am I allowed to bring a small travel one? A friend thought she remembered having one on her Equinox cruise but she was in a suite and my upcoming cabin is a mere balcony. ;)

I was not able to find anything on the Celebrity website about bringing your own. LOTS about not bringing irons but nothing about kettles. :cool:

I think Celebrity and Royal Caribbean found they had to equip cabins with kettles on cruises out of UK ports, especially Southampton. Those cruises are marketed primarily to the UK market, where the competition (e.g P&O) provide kettles in cabins. I think they found that customer feedback from the initial cruises mentioned the non-availability of in-cabin kettles as a major negative point.

So it's quite likely that a TA cruise, or any cruise not out of a UK port, might not have a kettle in the cabin.

I think Celebrity and Royal Caribbean found they had to equip cabins with kettles on cruises out of UK ports, especially Southampton. Those cruises are marketed primarily to the UK market, where the competition (e.g P&O) provide kettles in cabins. I think they found that customer feedback from the initial cruises mentioned the non-availability of in-cabin kettles as a major negative point.

So it's quite likely that a TA cruise, or any cruise not out of a UK port, might not have a kettle in the cabin.

I believe they only provided them on the Eclipse and this began right from the start when the ship was homeported in England. If I remember correctly they even announced it in the Press release.

Celebrity provided an electric kettle on our Eclipse cruise to the Baltic which was WONDERFUL but no kettle on same ship when cruising Caribbean.

Am wondering if Celebrity will provide one on my upcoming Equinox transatlantic and if not, am I allowed to bring a small travel one? A friend thought she remembered having one on her Equinox cruise but she was in a suite and my upcoming cabin is a mere balcony. ;)

I was not able to find anything on the Celebrity website about bringing your own. LOTS about not bringing irons but nothing about kettles. :cool:

Only Eclipse has kettles onboard. None on Equinox. More than likely (but not for definite) a small travel kettle may be confiscated at check in because it's on the prohibited list.

Phil

Only Eclipse has kettles onboard. None on Equinox. More than likely (but not for definite) a small travel kettle may be confiscated at check in because it's on the prohibited list.

Phil

You were once very kind to me, defensively, when I was a newbie on the boards and didn't have the opportunity to thank you. I haven't forgotten so although its late - thank you.

It seems contradictory for Celebrity put travel kettles on their prohibited list as surely they cannot be described as dangerous if they put one in every cabin when sailing out of UK!! I would have thought a handful being used on Caribbean cruises must be safer than hundreds in use on UK sailings? I like to be able to make an early morning cuppa whichever port I leave from.

You were once very kind to me, defensively, when I was a newbie on the boards and didn't have the opportunity to thank you. I haven't forgotten so although its late - thank you.

That's nice of you to say that and you are welcome. :)

It seems contradictory for Celebrity put travel kettles on their prohibited list as surely they cannot be described as dangerous if they put one in every cabin when sailing out of UK!! I would have thought a handful being used on Caribbean cruises must be safer than hundreds in use on UK sailings? I like to be able to make an early morning cuppa whichever port I leave from.

The actual wording says nothing with an open flame or that generates heat (curling irons and hairdryers are allowed). The kettles that Celebrity use on Eclipse Europe sailings have obviously been risk assessed. The key to it is that they are their kettles for which Celebrity have knowledge and control. If a passenger were to bring their own aboard there is no way to tell if it is safe or not or how much wattage it uses. From experience of the kettles on Eclipse I think they are pretty low powered. It took a long time to boil even quite a small amount of water.

I was on the Eclipse Transatlantic cruise from Southhampton in late October. Kettles were available on that cruise because I had one. You had to ask for it.

The OP is on Equinox, which doesn't have kettles.

Phil

The kettles used aboard Eclipse on cruises beginning and ending in Southampton are equipped with automatic shut-off mechanisms based upon time and/or contents... Not all kettles are so equipped and could well explain Celebrity's prohibition against taking such things aboard as outlined in the following website citation [please see the section entitiled What Not To Pack ]...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway#before_you_go_getting_ready/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/chickletpanel.do%3Fpagename=before_you_go_getting_ready#tertiary/before_you_go_packing

Someone who posted here earlier remarked that kettles were available upon request for the Eclipse westbound transatlantic [southampton to Miami] in Autumn 2013... I'm certain that they weren't available for the eastbound transatlantic [Miami to Southampton] last April/May; my steward said that they had been stored in Southampton and would be loaded to the ship--to cover the roundtrip sailings from Southampton--upon our arrival...

I've never seen in-room kettles on any other Celebrity ship...

I would suggest ordering tea from room service. They will send a tea bag and a carafe of very hot water. You can then use the water with your own tea to make whatever you prefer. Or I guess you could order hot cocoa--then you get an envelope of cocoa mix and a carafe of very hot water. :)

Of course you do lose the option that way to make tea as soon as you wake up at whatever random time you might wake up...but to my mind it's not a bad compromise. :)

Thank you all for your helpful input.

Room service will have to do but such a shame to go to that trouble for a simple cup of tea. The provided kettle was so nice and convenient on the Eclipse. I will definitely miss having one on the transatlantic. :(

On the Constellation westbound transatlantic in Dec 12, as we checked into our cabin and met the cabin steward, I asked if it would be possible to get a pot of coffee and pot of tea around 6pm each evening. The stewardess replied 'would we care to have a kettle and help our selves" ? . Terrific. She kept us fully supplied with Tea, coffee, sugar sachets through out the voyage. I kept in the fridge the morning breakfast carton of milk.Waste not want not.

• 2 months later...
I would suggest ordering tea from room service. They will send a tea bag and a carafe of very hot water. You can then use the water with your own tea to make whatever you prefer. Or I guess you could order hot cocoa--then you get an envelope of cocoa mix and a carafe of very hot water. :)

Of course you do lose the option that way to make tea as soon as you wake up at whatever random time you might wake up...but to my mind it's not a bad compromise. :)

To make a decent cup of tea, the water needs to be boiling and poured onto the teabag when it reaches boiling point. A carafe of hot water makes awful tea. Also the milk should be poured into the cup before the tea, so a teapot is necessary.

We were provided with a kettle on Eclipse TA out of Southampton. We happened to be talking to the Hotel Director and someone in the group mentioned that they were disappointed not to have a kettle and he took our cabin numbers and we had a kettle that evening. Our steward said they would be collected the last evening because they were going into storage in Miami. I don't think this would apply on Equinox because they don't have kettles when in Europe.

they also specifically use kettles and coffee makers that are of the correct wattage to handle the ship's electrical system. you cannot be assured that a random one brought on board will do so. or that the random one has an auto shut off feature. or the wiring will be sound or ... or.., or....

it does make sense.. they would be used incorrectly by those of us whose ancestors tossed boxes of the stuff into Boston Harbor( the first time I ever saw a kettle was in Australia and needed a couple of days to figure out how to use the darn thing properly) which increases the fire hazard.

I understand that out of Southampton it's considered necessary to have on board, but not so much elsewhere where tea drinking isn't as prevalent.

Just like I can expect to find Salt Potatoes in Central New York, but not down in Florida.

Hi,

I was on the Eclipse 14 night Caribbean in Jan. The kettles were not out so I asked for one and was given it.

Ive also just got off the Eclipse Transatlantic. There were no kettles out but I took my own travel kettle as I have done on many cruises and have never had it confiscated.

Also just got off Eclipse TA no kettle BUT they were beginning to appear at the end of the cruise in overhead cupboard ready for next cruise out of Southampton. .P&O have a great service, tea, coffee and little packets of biscuits are in their cabins. We did appreciate being able to make our own drink early morning rather then getting ready to let service staff in.

Possibly it would cut down on the room service workload if they provided them on request.

To make a decent cup of tea, the water needs to be boiling and poured onto the teabag when it reaches boiling point. A carafe of hot water makes awful tea. Also the milk should be poured into the cup before the tea, so a teapot is necessary.

I bow to your far greater experience with tea drinking. :) I'm more of a coffee drinker, and not British.

That being said, I am pretty sure the hot water you get from the dispenser in the Oceanview is not boiling either. It's very hot, certainly, but not boiling. I think that's also true of the hot water you get served to you when you order tea in the dining room. So if you need the water exactly at the boiling point and you aren't sailing on a cruise where you know Celebrity will provide a kettle, you may want to bring your own and risk that it may be confiscated. Or rebook on a cruise where you know the kettle will be provided. :)

Archived