Not that Royal Caribbean is perfect, but...

I will NEVER go on Carnival after researching more into this whole situation. Reviews -- ones on this site specifically mention the problems of this ship (even other ships too) before this happened.

I have a friend who got off the Triumph in December. Said that the crew told him there were issues and that no one seemed to care. Quick fixes in ports when they can. Service, food, overall quality lagging.

Sure, there are cuts across the board. But even Royal Caribbean, who made notable cuts in 2007, 2008 have stepped it up again with a new menu, constantly CLEAN ships and amenities.

It's ALWAYS about the bottom line, but in the end, this company put and continues to put people's safety at risk. It's funny- there are plenty of RCCL "cheerleaders" (some of you reading this :) ) but how can someone defend Carnival? I could see if this was isolated, but it's not. Their ships have problems, and they actively chose to ignore it or not take the proper steps to fix.

BTW- i do feel for the passengers. CNN's live stream: http://www.cnn.com/video/?%2Fvideo%2Fcvplive%2Fcvpstream3#/video/cvplive/cvpstream3

I would not sail Carnival after this because they have made cuts across the board and I suspect that includes the maintenance of their ships. Too many incidents to make it coincidence.

I am not sure the reports are completely accurate about the current conditions, so I will notpass judgement on how they handled the conditions after the fire until after they return.

Hopefully we will get some unbiased reports from the crew and passengers on board.

Go to the carnival boards. They claim it was not as bad as it seems and that it happens. It just seems like it happens to carnival a lot. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to a carnival cruise. You would never find me one one ever again.

Another thing that is ridiculous is how carnival is reimbursing those cruisers ($500 + cruise fare returned---duh + discount on future cruise---as if any of those cruisers will ever sail with them again). What about their airfares, time off from work, etc..... I know it may sound greedy but those people deserve more than that after what they have been through.

I agree about things not being bad as some of the media reports say.

I am sure it is a very unpleasant situation, but when I see reports of how people are saying that they thought they were dying, I just have to roll my eyes.

Sure, I would not want to be on that ship at this point, and if I were, I would probably be very unhappy.

I do think it says something that this has happened twice to Carnival in two years, and they had the Concordia wreck with their Costa Line. I would not want to be a Carnival Corporate employee right now. There is probably a lot of unhappy people working there right now.

If hub likes cruising after Rhapsody to Alaska, I'm hoping to take our chances on the Carnival Miracle ( Miracle if we make it back on time? ) simply because RCI doesn't leave out of LA and NCL doesn't have a longer itinerary when I want to go. West coast cruises are limited and I'd rather deal with quick and relatively cheap Southwest flights. LOL from the greyhound of the skies to the Walmart of the seas, vacation Honey boo-boo style.

It's a good thing that RCI is either wiser or luckier than CCL - can you IMAGINE what it would take to tow Oasis or Allure?

(as if any of those cruisers will ever sail with them again).

Apparently, a bunch are. The few interviews that the media has squeezed so far indicate that many Triumph cruisers are ready to take advantage of their free cruise. Either they are a bunch of masochists, or the situation wasn't as bad as we originally believed...

I just feel like Carnival is making it bad for the cruise industry. Most of the folks who know I love cruising but are not cruisers themselves can't differentiate cruise lines. They ask if I will still cruise as much. To most non-cruisers, the whole industry is as bad as the last incident. I can't pass judgement on Carnival but I can say it's certainly having an impact on the lines that were not involved in these accidents and that is very unfortunate.

Just my opinion.

It can happen to any ship from any cruise line.....the term is "Loosing the Load" and next to a fire itself, it is the scariest thing any sailor could possible happen...to be totally dead in the water....

And it can, and does happen......

What about their airfares, time off from work, etc..... I know it may sound greedy but those people deserve more than that after what they have been through.

Carnival is providing "a free flight home" (per CNN). I do agree, the $500 will only go so far if someone had to miss 4 days of work, or pay for 4 extra days of child care, and even some doggie day cares are very pricey. Now add that all together and the $500 isn't going to go far. Also it doesn't sound like travel insurance is going to be any help in getting that money back either.

I just feel like Carnival is making it bad for the cruise industry. Most of the folks who know I love cruising but are not cruisers themselves can't differentiate cruise lines. They ask if I will still cruise as much. To most non-cruisers, the whole industry is as bad as the last incident. I can't pass judgement on Carnival but I can say it's certainly having an impact on the lines that were not involved in these accidents and that is very unfortunate.

Just my opinion.

You hit the nail on the head. To a non-cruiser, or an "on the fence" cruiser, all the cruise lines are the same. But at the same time it may mean cheaper rates because those people won't be booking up the rooms I want! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Carnival own Royal Carribean and Princess? On another note, if anything happened to me on my cruise like this, I don't think I would ever get on a ship again. Very scary situation to be in.

Carnival does own Princess (and a bunch of other lines), but does not own Royal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Carnival own Royal Carribean and Princess? On another note, if anything happened to me on my cruise like this, I don't think I would ever get on a ship again. Very scary situation to be in.

NO, Carnival does not own Royal Caribbean. Royal is their biggest competitor!

BILL

No, they do not own Royal Caribbean. They parent company owns Carnival, Costa (who no one seems to be mentioning also had a fire just like this in the year), Princess, and Seaborn.

Last night a CNN "reporter" stated that they owned :eek: RCCL and Norweigian and (I think) gave a 75% ownership of cruise lines...:rolleyes: I told my husband they should have hired CC members to cover the disembarkation! :p

Yes it happens and yes, it would stink (literally) but life has it's ups/downs. I am still chomping at the bit to get to my cruise in 50 days!!!!!!:D

Anything can happen on any cruise line, I was on the ship that got hit by the rogue wave back in 2005. You have to make the best of the situation. I have never been on a Carnival cruise before, but my hubby and I are planning on booking one in the near future. This incident that just happened won't change our plans on trying carnival.

Not sure if I dreamed this or actually read it somewhere, but thought that someone had mentioned their is a design flaw with some Carnival ships that creates a catastrophic power failure when a fire is in a certain location...no redundant backups to allow this not to occur....and that RCCL ships are being/have been created to have some ability to still have some power should a fire disable a part of the ship (engine/generator area)?

David:D

After seeing the reports and pictures of the "tent cities" on deck, I think this was as bad as described. We only take Royal as overall I feel their ships are better maintained. Carnival may be the "fun" ships but I'd never take one!

I get a kick out of the posts Ive read where people (cheerleaders) write: "Its better than being at work"...My God, what kind of job do these folks have where a week on that "garbage scow" looks better by comparison?

I get a kick out of cheerleaders for one cruise line taking joy over an incident on another ship. Incidents happen on all cruise lines, including RCI. Carnival has more ships, hence more incidents. There was a fire that disabled an RCI owned ship last year. It's just that it happened in Asia, so CNN wasn't interested because of the geography and the lack of American drama queen passengers exagerating the serverity of the conditions to get their 15 minutes of fame on TV, or try influence the potential jury pool for their lawsuit.

It's folly to believe that any cruise ship has emergency systems designed to restore full power to a ship.

I'm sure that the RCI suits in Miami are not celebrating the Legend situation, like some here. They're just happy that it didn't happen to them.

Last night a CNN "reporter" stated that they owned :eek: RCCL and Norweigian and (I think) gave a 75% ownership of cruise lines...:rolleyes: I told my husband they should have hired CC members to cover the disembarkation! :p

Yes it happens and yes, it would stink (literally) but life has it's ups/downs. I am still chomping at the bit to get to my cruise in 50 days!!!!!!:D

I am right there with ya Blambky....can't wait! Let the uncruised masses run the prices down....I'll get to cruise more!:p

This whole thing has been so hyped I wonder why and then I realize that most people are so tired of all the politics on T.V. they had to make something out of this so more people would watch!:rolleyes:

It was unfortunate, it was inconvenient, it was distasteful and probably preventable, but it certainly wasn't a "tragedy" as Piers Morgan is trying to make it out to be.

Believe me people, I could relate some personal experiences I suffered right here in a 12 day hospital stay I had that would make your blood run cold and that cruise would pale in comparison. I know that is hard to believe, but it's absolutely true. There are much worse things that happen every day to people. Everything is relative....

Sure, I would hope it never happens to me, but get over it......we all have our crosses to bear. There are people who post on CC everyday that have to bear worse things than these passengers did for 5 days....like Brenda and Allen Patrick.

You hit the nail on the head. To a non-cruiser, or an "on the fence" cruiser, all the cruise lines are the same. But at the same time it may mean cheaper rates because those people won't be booking up the rooms I want! :D

I was thinking these exact thoughts! Ha - also, if anyone has ever wanted to cruise and couldn't afford it - the Carnival Triumph in April might be dirt cheap :D

I get a kick out of cheerleaders for one cruise line taking joy over an incident on another ship. Incidents happen on all cruise lines, including RCI. Carnival has more ships, hence more incidents. There was a fire that disabled an RCI owned ship last year. It's just that it happened in Asia, so CNN wasn't interested because of the geography and the lack of American drama queen passengers exagerating the serverity of the conditions to get their 15 minutes of fame on TV, or try influence the potential jury pool for their lawsuit.

It's folly to believe that any cruise ship has emergency systems designed to restore full power to a ship.

I'm sure that the RCI suits in Miami are not celebrating the Legend situation, like some here. They're just happy that it didn't happen to them.

I really like your post!

I am right there with ya Blambky....can't wait! Let the uncruised masses run the prices down....I'll get to cruise more!:p

I keep reading comments like this. Do you really want prices to fall so that we can have hundreds of threads about more on board cuts in service and amenities? When prices fall to fill ships, the cruise line is not going to take a hit in the bottom line. Something will go. Personally I would rather have good food, service and nice amenities. Watch what you wish for.

I keep reading comments like this. Do you really want prices to fall so that we can have hundreds of threads about more on board cuts in service and amenities? When prices fall to fill ships, the cruise line is not going to take a hit in the bottom line. Something will go. Personally I would rather have good food, service and nice amenities. Watch what you wish for.

Come on gator, that was a tongue in cheek joke....:rolleyes:

Archived