Quebec to Boston ????

fitznorton

Planning an extended family cruise with 80 yr old mother. Looking at the Quebec to Boston as we live in the Boston area. Does HAL offer motor coach transportation from Boston to Quebec? Do we fly into Montreal and take transportation to the ship? Is there train service from Boston to Quebec? I am trying to make it as easy as possible for my mother. I have been searching the threads and cannot seem to find info about transfers. Any and all experiences or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Planning an extended family cruise with 80 yr old mother. Looking at the Quebec to Boston as we live in the Boston area. Does HAL offer motor coach transportation from Boston to Quebec? Do we fly into Montreal and take transportation to the ship? Is there train service from Boston to Quebec? I am trying to make it as easy as possible for my mother. I have been searching the threads and cannot seem to find info about transfers. Any and all experiences or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

I can't help you with your questions but have you considered doing a B2B and cruising to Quebec and then back to Boston? Seems much more civilized than flying, or taking a train or bus. Even if it's just for you (or another travelling companion) and your mother, and not the whole family on the first leg of the cruise. The rest of the family can join you on the ship in Quebec.

I know it will take an extra 7 days but the cost might be comparable. Then your mother doesn't have to go through the hassles of flying, security (other than at the port), etc. If a family member cannot go on the first leg, is there someone else that she could cruise with on the first leg?

Just a suggestion... Good Luck!

That's a difficult connection if you don't want to fly. There is no Amtrak service direct to Montreal. We've taken the train (the Adirondak) from NYC to Montreal. the only connections I can think of between Boston and that train would be to take the train from Boston down to NYC, where the Adirondak originates. Or you could go from Boston to Albany and catch the Adirondak there. But I suspect making the connection in Albany would require staying overnight between trains. Poke around the Amtrak site. There might be other connections you could make. But i do know that you can't go from Boston to Montreal on a single train ride.

I think HAL does offer bus service between the airport and the pier. At least three buses arrived while we were waiting to board. And the good news there is (unless they've changed procedures since we sailed out of Montreal) is that the HAL bus passengers go to the head of the checkin line.

May I suggest that, instead of searching the threads here, you do a little research in Travelocity, Expedia or one of the many other travel sites? A very quick google of "boston quebec direct flights" shows that you have several options for a direct flight, and I'm sure that similar research on trains and buses will provide lots of additional travel options.

I hope that you all have a wonderful cruise!

Mike

The easiest on your Mom (or anyone from Boston) is to board Maasdam in Boston, sail to Montreal, stay on in Montreal and sail the next cruise back to Boston.

We do that every summer and love it.

Were we to board a ship in Quebec City, which we likely would not do, we would fly to Montreal and use HAL bus transfer to Quebec City. It will be somewhat tiring for a senior person but that is likely the easiest and less stress on you. HAL will meet you at the airport, take your luggage and transport you to Quebec City.

Does it have to be the QC to Boston itinerary?

If you want to do only the one week, and you want the NE/Canada area, you really should consider the Maasdam Montreal to Boston route. It is so much easier to get to Montreal than QC from Boston (I have just been through this exercise).

There are several flights a day, and they are short (not all that tiring). Depending on time of day you fly, you may have time to enjoy Montreal, then a good meal and good night's sleep before boarding. The next day is in QC, so you will also get to enjoy that port.

Another suggestion occured to me.........

HAL is sending Veendam one cruise this summer, 7 days, Boston to Boston.

We have done that itinerary before and it's great. We have not seen it offered for several years and by accident learned of it for August, 2013. You may wish to consider that though it does NOT go far north to Quebec City. Not enough time.

We're doing a similar cruise in May. Although there are no direct flights from Boston we were able to snag a pretty good deal on Porter Airlines for a one-way flight that connects through the Toronto city airport. Although I've never flown that airline nor connected through that airport it does seem like a much smaller manageable place to make a connection.

We're doing a similar cruise in May. Although there are no direct flights from Boston we were able to snag a pretty good deal on Porter Airlines for a one-way flight that connects through the Toronto city airport. Although I've never flown that airline nor connected through that airport it does seem like a much smaller manageable place to make a connection.

Groan.....

Please let us know how it goes when you return. I can't imagine myself taking that flight but as you say there aren't many choices. I give you credit you're willing to do that. At least in May, the chance of weather impacting your flight is low.

OP,

I have looked into this cruise and decided that the best way is to do the B2B from Boston and back again. There are no trains or buses from Boston, the only way from Boston is to fly. My husband is 78 and it is easier on him to cruise from Boston. We have done the 7 day cruise mentioned by Sail (that's how I got my husband hooked on cruising) and had a great time. I know your Mom will enjoy the cruise.

Traveling Dot

Mr. Boston - you are right - flying Porter Airlines is a great experience and the island airport in Toronto is very small and efficient - you will have no trouble making a connection there. (The only drawback is sometimes it can be foggy right down on the lake causing delays...hopefully you have sunny skies the day of your flight.)

We were also scheduled to take the 7 day Boston to Quebec cruise and I researched all the different options. We ended up reserving a car from National for 24 hour period for $206.00 including loss damage waiver. It would have meant that we needed to get to the Quebec airport for pick up and then drop off was at Logan, so you would have to figure out the transportation to and from both those locations. The actual drive is pretty easy but we were so used to it as our daughter went to school in Burlington VT. I'm not sure if you would be receptive to driving or not but if you were that could be another option.

We ended up canceling the car and booking the back to back cruise which seems much more relaxing! We had planned on spending a few extra days in

Quebec and when we looked at the additional cost, the cruise wasn't much more. Hopefully, we won't feel claustrophobic in an inside cabin for two weeks!

Archived