when is it too early to buy airfare?

beachlover98

Recently booked a Celebrity cruise out of San Juan next January. I think this will be my 8th cruise sailing from there, but the first time I've been able to book the cruise more than 4-5 months out. I've gotten some decent airfares in the past flying from Minneapolis, but also some really high ones.

I was finally able to check yesterday on fares for next January and they're actually surprisingly decent, not nearly as good as some I've gotten, but better than other years. I hate to buy too early, but if it looks reasonable, maybe it makes sense?

If you do some reading on the Cruise Air board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

you will see the advice of many experts is to start your research before the actual fares are available, and then watch them for some time- maybe a couple of months. Never buy when they first come out- unless going for free (mileage award) tickets. When you find a fare you are comfortable with, buy, and don't look back.

Just remember that airfare rarely goes down. Even if a sale pops up, it's often restrictive on dates, and may not be for yours. Airlines know when cruises leave, and most avoid setting up a sale for those dates. If you see an airfare you consider decent, I would grab it.

I just booked FF miles trip to Buenos Aires, and return from Santiago, Chile for January. the trick is to look at regular intervals. you get familiar with some patterns - like tuesday afternoon is the cheapest fares on some sites on some routes.

When paying for a flight I will look for a date for every month - like the second friday of each month if that is the day i think i'll be traveling - and continue to look until I either reach the point i think i should pay, or know is the best available this year. It gives me an idea of patterns when fares flucuate.

set up an app like travelocity's FareWatcher plus or Priceline's Price Alert to notify you of price drops.

Once i book I never look back - once I'm committed to a fare I don't want to know if it drops later.

Good advice so far. A couple more questions though. ChoiceAir isn't even opened up to January flights yet so can't compare those yet. Will it matter that I plan to fly in 3 days before the cruise? I don't know if using them makes more sense if one is flying in the day before or the day of the cruise.

Also, as far as how much time to spend watching fares to see when's a good deal. I'm traveling in January from a "wintry" location and prefer to connect through a southern state to avoid weather hassles. I also prefer not to arrive in San Juan at 10 or 11pm (or later) if possible, mostly for safety reasons. Seeing as I'm kind of picky about flight times, short layovers and avoiding connections in the midwest and northeast, should I consider booking now if I see something reasonable?

Seeing as I'm kind of picky about flight times, short layovers and avoiding connections in the midwest and northeast, should I consider booking now if I see something reasonable?

Absolutely. If you find an acceptable flight now, and you think the price is decent, I don't know why you would wait. There is no such thing as the perfect time/day to purchase airfare. When you see a good price, grab it and don't look back.

Absolutely. If you find an acceptable flight now, and you think the price is decent, I don't know why you would wait. There is no such thing as the perfect time/day to purchase airfare. When you see a good price, grab it and don't look back.

I have tried for years to figure out the airlines and how they price flights. I spend weeks watching fares go up and down on a daily basis and can't figure it out. I just don't know if it's ever "too early". I was just so excited when I looked at fares yesterday between Minneapolis and San Juan and found something that started with a 4!!

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who can't help but look at fares even after I'm booked. Maybe I can will myself not to do it this time!

Good advice so far. A couple more questions though. ChoiceAir isn't even opened up to January flights yet so can't compare those yet. Will it matter that I plan to fly in 3 days before the cruise? I don't know if using them makes more sense if one is flying in the day before or the day of the cruise.

Also, as far as how much time to spend watching fares to see when's a good deal. I'm traveling in January from a "wintry" location and prefer to connect through a southern state to avoid weather hassles. I also prefer not to arrive in San Juan at 10 or 11pm (or later) if possible, mostly for safety reasons. Seeing as I'm kind of picky about flight times, short layovers and avoiding connections in the midwest and northeast, should I consider booking now if I see something reasonable?

Not picky about flight times.... just realistic, knowing that Jan in you state adds travel complications. I would never plan to arrive the day a cruise leaves for just that reason. Even a summertime cruise i.e. July for us (from Mi) as we go through Detroit.

Not picky about flight times.... just realistic, knowing that Jan in you state adds travel complications. I would never plan to arrive the day a cruise leaves for just that reason. Even a summertime cruise i.e. July for us (from Mi) as we go through Detroit.

I will never arrive the day of a cruise again as I learned the hard way! Had no choice on a cruise 7 years ago and needed to fly in the day our cruise left San Diego. Ship sailed at 8pm and our flight left very early that morning but bad weather forced diversions, cancelled flights and delays so we missed the ship. Luckily we had booked air through Celebrity and they paid for everything in order for us to catch up with the ship in Cabo 2 days later. It turned out to be a fun adventure! (but one I'd rather not repeat)

As I said, on my next cruise out of San Juan in January, I plan to arrive 3 days early, not only to make the ship on time, but to enjoy Old San Juan for a few days. I still, however, much prefer to avoid flying through Chicago, Detroit or anywhere in the northeast.

If you are comfortable with the price of the airline ticket purchase it now. Most likely the price will only increase as the day of departure approaches. I purchased tickets for flights in April 2013 to Florida in October 2012. Although we are closer to Newark, New Jersey for outbound flights we are leaving from LGA because we got an even better deal.

Archived