Century

BostonBoatBoy

Considering an Alaska cruise on the Century. Have done several Celebrity cruises but have not been on the Century. Have sailed on 2 Milli class and 4 Solstice class, most recently the Reflection. So my question is will the Century seem too small and dated? or will the charm and intimacy of an older/smaller ship shine through?

Realize this is a subjective question, just looking for input.....

Thanks

I liked most things about the Century - food, entertainment, service, etc. - except for the condition of the ship - in particular the cabins. We were happy to hear that the Century was going into drydock in April 2013, however, drydock was cancelled and cruises were added. This has lead to online discussions about the Century being up for sale. We thought about doing the Hawaiian or Panama Canal cruise on the Century in 2013, but since both these cruises had a lot of sea days, we decided we didn't want to spend that much time aboard the ship. The Century was OK for our September sailing - Vancouver to San Diego - because we had only 2 sea days on a 10 night cruise. The cabins needed new linens, new mattresses, new bathrooms (shower tile needed to be cleaned and re-grouted), new carpeting, etc. Even the drawers and woodwork in the cabin were worn and scratched looking.

We looked at the 2014 Hawaii and Panama Canal sailings and the Century is still scheduled for those itineraries. If the Century is sold by the end of 2013, then perhaps Celebrity would re-think their schedule and assign one of their other ships to these itineraries. It's wishful thinking on my part.

We have been on the Century twice. The first time was a cruise from Honolulu to Sydney in November 2011 and the second cruise was a RT San Diego to Hawaii in October 2012. Both sailings had a number of sea days, which we enjoy.

We found the condition of both the ship in general and our staterooms in particular to be just fine. In our staterooms the mattresses were very comfortable, and the quality of the linens great. The stateroom carpet in the October sailing looked new.

The Century has a very traditional feel to it. A number of the public rooms are very graceful with an understated elegance. Several months ago a CC member posted a review with a number of photos of the Century's interior. Search for a review by someone named something similar to "MVPinBoynton." The review was posted on both the Hawaii and Celebrity forum. The photos will provide an excellent idea as to whether you will find the Century appealing.

Here is the review:

http://www.thepreismans.com/hawaii.htm

I liked most things about the Century - food, entertainment, service, etc. - except for the condition of the ship - in particular the cabins. We were happy to hear that the Century was going into drydock in April 2013, however, drydock was cancelled and cruises were added. This has lead to online discussions about the Century being up for sale. We thought about doing the Hawaiian or Panama Canal cruise on the Century in 2013, but since both these cruises had a lot of sea days, we decided we didn't want to spend that much time aboard the ship. The Century was OK for our September sailing - Vancouver to San Diego - because we had only 2 sea days on a 10 night cruise. The cabins needed new linens, new mattresses, new bathrooms (shower tile needed to be cleaned and re-grouted), new carpeting, etc. Even the drawers and woodwork in the cabin were worn and scratched looking.

We looked at the 2014 Hawaii and Panama Canal sailings and the Century is still scheduled for those itineraries. If the Century is sold by the end of 2013, then perhaps Celebrity would re-think their schedule and assign one of their other ships to these itineraries. It's wishful thinking on my part.

I am confused because we booked this ship for the September Alaskan cruise thinking the ship was to be going into dry dock this spring. :confused::eek: Just got off the Constellation which is a tad larger than the Century (been on the Century before) and that ship was in pretty good shape. The bed linens were starting to be worn, and the beds were most uncomfortable the first night. Afterward, I had an egg crate and although I did not sleep well, the bed was was better. ;) Hopefully, the beds on the Century will be in better shape!

We were on Century last October and thought the ship was in really good shape. It's a very classy ship and our room was very nice. Bed was comfy but we did overhear some people at Guest Relations complaining (rather nastily, I thought) about their bed.

We would sail on Century again in a heartbeat if the itinerary & price is right!:D

Sherri:)

We just got off the Century on Sunday after sailing to Hawaii and back with nearly 10 sea days in all--a wonderful, relaxing cruise. Yes, it shows a little hard wear in some places, but all in all it's very clean, comfortable and well laid out. I had read about the uncomfortable beds--but I thought they were fine. The room steward kept trying to work out a time with us when they could do an overhaul of the bathroom, but we couldn't find a time when we wanted to promise to stay our of their way for 5 or 6 hours. But I was happy to see that they aren't waiting for a drydock to address regrouting, etc.

Thanks for posting a link to our review Iamthesea.

We had also been concerned about some of the comments we had heard about the Century. We were very happy with the ship itself and the staff was probably one of the friendliest ones we have experienced. You can see for your self through the many photos on our website www.thepreismans.com. I wouldn't hesitate to go on the Century again either before or after a visit to the drydock.

We just got off the Century on Sunday after sailing to Hawaii and back with nearly 10 sea days in all--a wonderful, relaxing cruise. Yes, it shows a little hard wear in some places, but all in all it's very clean, comfortable and well laid out. I had read about the uncomfortable beds--but I thought they were fine. The room steward kept trying to work out a time with us when they could do an overhaul of the bathroom, but we couldn't find a time when we wanted to promise to stay our of their way for 5 or 6 hours. But I was happy to see that they aren't waiting for a drydock to address regrouting, etc.

Good to hear! When we were on her in 2008, they were replacing carpet in the hallways.

Mike - Just finished reading your review of the ship. Looks great and sounds like you had a terrific time! We will have the SS on our Alaskan cruise. We booked the newer SS toward the aft, deck 12. I wonder if your friends had the newer staterooms since their furniture was more comfortable. :rolleyes:

We did a 12 night in New Zealand /Australia in Dec. 2011 and is a comfortable easy to navigate ship. The crew goes out of their way to make you feel like family. No problem with quality of any part like all ships there is always wear and tear. The only difference when going on a cruise in cooler weather was that if you like to swim this ship does not have a Solarium with pool.

Good to hear! When we were on her in 2008, they were replacing carpet in the hallways.

Mike - Just finished reading your review of the ship. Looks great and sounds like you had a terrific time! We will have the SS on our Alaskan cruise. We booked the newer SS toward the aft, deck 12. I wonder if your friends had the newer staterooms since their furniture was more comfortable. :rolleyes:

Both of the other SS cabins were across from us. I think the furniture issue didn't have anything to do with the age of the cabin; it was just unique to ours. We did put it on our comment cards, so hopefully it has been addressed. Those SS cabins are quite nice.

Thanks for the link to the review, as we are doing the Century in Sept this year for a wine/Pacific Coastal cruise. It is always great to read one of their reviews, as they are humorous, informative and full of great photos. Plus we had just done a one way Hawaii on the Millie in late October and it was great to see and read about someone else's experiences at around the same time.

We did a 12 night in New Zealand /Australia in Dec. 2011 and is a comfortable easy to navigate ship. The crew goes out of their way to make you feel like family. No problem with quality of any part like all ships there is always wear and tear. The only difference when going on a cruise in cooler weather was that if you like to swim this ship does not have a Solarium with pool.

We were on the Hawaii cruise in November and one of the outdoor pools was heated. It was warmer than your bathtub, so quite warm enough to swim, just not indoors. I'm not sure why it was heated during our cruise, since the weather was plenty warm enough on deck to swim in the other pool.

We had also been concerned about some of the comments we had heard about the Century. We were very happy with the ship itself and the staff was probably one of the friendliest ones we have experienced. You can see for your self through the many photos on our website www.thepreismans.com. I wouldn't hesitate to go on the Century again either before or after a visit to the drydock.

Hi Mike, Thanks for posting the link to your Century review with many excellent photos. We're looking forward to our Century Hawaii cruise Dec 6th & wondering if you might have copies of the Main Dining Room seating charts for one or both levels? If so, would love to see PDF copies either posted here or emailed to OurMeetAndGreet @ gmail dot com. We're especially interested in seeing locations of tables for 2. Thanks! :)

Hi Mike, Thanks for posting the link to your Century review with many excellent photos. We're looking forward to our Century Hawaii cruise Dec 6th & wondering if you might have copies of the Main Dining Room seating charts for one or both levels? If so, would love to see PDF copies either posted here or emailed to OurMeetAndGreet @ gmail dot com. We're especially interested in seeing locations of tables for 2. Thanks! :)

Lynn,

I'm sorry, but I never even saw the seating chart to take a photo of it.

That was a fabulous summary. We are going Nov. 6. Our third on the Century but first cruise to Hawaii. Previous trips to Hawaii have been in Condos on Oahu, Hawaii, Kauai and Molokai. Loved Molokai the best. Your descriptions will have my brother salivate (never been there). The Gypsy guides are interesting. Will look for them. Thank you for your time in preparing them. Cruise Critic rocks.

Archived