Deck space

sooboo

Hello my husband and I are looking to cruise with Holland America later this year but were not too sure which ship at the moment. As we are new to HAL I'm just wondering what space is like on deck. Is there enough seating for all or is it first come first served! We don't need to sit around a pool, just like to sit in the sun. my husband is partially disabled so can't walk for ever to only find towels on beds/chairs with no one to be seen!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

If you want to sit in the sun you shouldn't have any problems on an upper deck. If your husband has mobility issues I would suggest that perhaps you find a comfortable place for him to sit while you scope out the scene and claim your space.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it's hard to find a lounger in the sun next to Lido pool, but on every HAL ship we've been on there are plenty elsewhere! Locations vary by class of ship, but one good area they all have in common is the wrap-around promenade.

if the ship you choose has an aft sea view pool - that area is very nice IMO:D Usually lots of loungers are available and/or seating.

the Lido pool seems to so depend upon the cruise - but just my experience.

I haven't really seen too many chair hogs so you shouldn't have to worry about that:D

And depending on the ship (I guess), There are chairs outside the Crow's Nest or that set of doors nearby. Saw them on Westerdam and either Zaandam or Zuiderdam (maybe both). There always seemed to be room there and also on the deck where the glass top for the Lido pool is (maybe the same as the one by Crow's Nest). I may have the Crow's Nest location wrong but someone who really knows the decks can help with that.

I think you will find some nice spots.

Good luck

ML

We have sailed R & S & Vista class ships. We have sailed at Thanksgiving twice and Christmas twice. We have never not been able to find a nice place to sit. DH likes loungers - I prefer a chair. We always find these in the aft Sea View pool area. (Sometimes Lido pool area - but we would rather be outside.)

There are many who will say you can't find a seat on the Lower Prom deck. Personally, we have never encountered very many people out there. Alaska may be the exception for the Lower Prom ... but most folks were standing and not sitting. Our first cruise found me in a lounge chair in the sun for the entire afternoon on Christmas Day on the Lower Prom. :D I was the only one out there.

I hope you book your cruise soon and have a great time! :)

Be aware that a towel on a lounger does not necessarily mean someone is using that seat. The deck stewards place rolled towels on every lounger. Sometimes people don't toss the towel in the bin, but leave them there when they are finished with the lounger.

Welcome to Holland America! I agree with other posters that you probably won't have a problem if you don't mind where you sit. I can't be in the sun for more than 20 minutes, and DH dislikes the noise & confusion which sometimes occurs around the Lido pool. If you're having any qualms about the location of your chairs (or if there'll be chairs), let me suggest that you purchase a cabana. They're only available on Eurodam and Nieux Amsterdam though. Buy one for the cruise duration, and you're guaranteed deck chairs in a set location with some extra perks. On smaller ships like Veendam, lanai cabins come with reserved deck chairs on promenade deck.

For our next cruise aboard Eurodam, we thought the family cabana made sense, since we booked an inside. We're traveling with another couple and splitting the cost for the cabana. From what I've read, I believe we've made a good choice.

Will let everyone know when we get back in April. Hope you enjoy HAL as much as we do.

Archived