Does it matter?

Kreg13

Port (left) or starboard (right) don't make much of a difference to me for the view. Yes, there are times when it does matter - I see comments about sailing to Alaska through the Sound. And on a TransAtlantic you might want to pick one side or the other if you want some sun. But generally, no, it doesn't matter.

Now the stern cabins (back cabins - also called aft cabins) are another game entirely. You can sit and watch the ship's wake from your balcony. But you wouldn't pick an aft cabin for a view - more for the experience. :)

It matters very little. Very, very little. Just a couple locations, Venice sailing in, or away. Other than those few, no, it really doesn't matter.

Aft cabins are very popular. On some cruise ships, the aft balconies are much larger. The Aft cabins are in high demand on many cruises.

Sometimes the very best spot for viewing is from a top deck. An example would be the Panama Canal as you pass through the locks. You will probably want to go back and forth on the deck to get better views of one thing or another.

Another example is for a sail away or an entrance into port. Often the ship will turn completely around in order to back into the dock or after backing out of the dock. So if you start out on one side of the deck, you may need to then move to the other side to see the best view.

Two places hwere being on the port side of the ship is best is when leaving the port of Miami or Port Everglades. The best views and most action is definitely from the port side (left side) of the ship. Failing that, be in the very front or in the very back of the ship.

In Port Canaveral being on the starboard side (right side) for sail away will give you the best views of the dock side restaurants and all the people there. Some will wave and their music is playing.

If you aren't sure, just stand where the crowds are. Some of the repeat passengers know the best spots for viewing and they will be gathered there.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We prefer to be on the Port side (left) on ships. We find that most times the Port side will face the port (town) and we like to people watch with a cocktail once we get done with tours and just roaming on our own.

We also are careful about what is above and below our cabin -- noise factors.

If you have never cruised before -- you might consider a cabin midships and low in case you get sea sick.

If you are booking an inside cabin or an obstructed view cabin, then it really doesn't make any difference which side of the ship you are on.

From a viewing perspective does it matter if you are on the right, left or backside of the ship?

We just hope that the side of the ship we are sailing on will land up being port-side so we can sit on our balcony and watch the last minute runners (or in some cases slow walkers).

Our last three cruises have been on the Starboard side and we have been lucky enough to have been facing the port on two out of three ports each time.

One time we docked in Hamilton, Bermuda. I pulled open the curtains and there we were facing Front St, with all the people, cars, traffic, and movement going on just yards from our window. Folks with cabins on the other side had a more serene view of the harbor and sailboats.

One time we docked in Hamilton, Bermuda. I pulled open the curtains and there we were facing Front St, with all the people, cars, traffic, and movement going on just yards from our window. Folks with cabins on the other side had a more serene view of the harbor and sailboats.

This is true! Sometimes not being on the side where the ship docks is better.

Once, we opened our balcony curtain to find we were directly across the cruise pier from another ship. We could actually talk to others over there who were on their balconies.

Some failed to close their curtains when the lights were on so we could see EVERYTHING going on in their cabins. :eek:

LuLu

~~~~

I have read that aft cabins on some ships can collect soot from the ship's smokestack.

It is possible on rare occasions, but it takes a lots of unusual circumstances to occur at the same time. While the appearance of the stack structure is deceivingly simple when when you look at it, it is an extremely highly engineered and wind tunnel tested piece.

Like most "what do you like" questions, everyone has their differing opinion. Some like to be on the land side so they can sit on the balcony and people watch on the pier, others like the wide open views of the outboard side, but which you have is at the mercy of how the ship docks at each port. The only absolute is the wake view from an aft cabin.

Even when cruising by a large land mass like Cuba, it is nothing more than some dark mountains in the distance.

I'm a newbie, and never sailed... BUT, when I fly, I always try to be on the not sunny side of the plane (too bright, often too hot). Ie, so North side, when flying West, etc.

So, by extension, when picking for a cruise, think about the itin, where the sunsets will be most often and (if you were me) pick that side. Which will also minimize sun in the early AM. YMMV.

Archived