GO SMILE teeth whitening at spa

Mrwayt

Is it worth it? Sailing on the Ecstasy next month and the lady has always talked about getting it done. It's listed at $149 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and whether its a wise expense.

• 6 months later...

I haven't but have heard many people complain that they wouldn't have done it if they were told before hand they would be limited to what they could drink. I know coffee and tea were a couple. May have been nothing with color.

I spoke to someone not long ago who had it done on one of our Royal Caribbean sailings. She did it early in the cruise, and said that she'd never do it again. Her teeth/gums were super-sensitive, and she had a difficult time eating for the remainder of the trip. Probably best to have a whitening procedure done at home...:(

Just read a tip on Yahoo from Katie Couric for whitening teeth - rub a film of sensitive teeth tooth paste on your teeth. Leave it on while you take a shower, then rinse it off. She says it works for her!

All the comments I've seen on CC say don't do it on the ship, your teeth and gums will be very sore and sensitive, you'll be miserable the rest of the cruise.

I really think this is something best left to your dentist! I would no more have some unlicensed, unskilled person on a cruise ship whiten my teeth than I would let them do Lasik on my eyes!

Edited by nlktx49

Just read a tip on Yahoo from Katie Couric for whitening teeth - rub a film of sensitive teeth tooth paste on your teeth. Leave it on while you take a shower, then rinse it off. She says it works for her!

All the comments I've seen on CC say don't do it on the ship, your teeth and gums will be very sore and sensitive, you'll be miserable the rest of the cruise.

I really think this is something best left to your dentist! I would no more have some unlicensed, unskilled person on a cruise ship whiten my teeth than I would let them do Lasik on my eyes!

Amen to that.

I use the Go Smile ampules at home and they work great. The treatment they do on the ship involves light therapy and can leave your teeth very sensitive. Whiting DOES NOT harm your teeth if they are healthy. You can get a Go Smile kit at Ulta or Sephora for half the cost of on ship and works just as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is it worth it? Sailing on the Ecstasy next month and the lady has always talked about getting it done. It's listed at $149 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and whether its a wise expense.

My friend had this done on the Allure. You have to buy the kit to continue at home. This was in May. His teeth now look like they did before.

When I got my teeth whitened they said you could not have things that stain your teeth for 24 hours (coffee, soda, tomato type sauce, wine) and while on a cruise I can't imagine going without any of that....I need my Miami Vices! Also as people have stated your teeth and gums are REALLY sensitive after this is done. In fact over four month later my gums still bleed when I brush/floss do anything to them. I would not recommend getting this done on the ship. Most teeth bleaching places do state you should consult with a dentist before getting the procedure done so if you want to do it I would check with your dentist first.

• 1 year later...

Got back today from cruise and on Tuesday (sea day) my husband and I took advantage of getting our teeth whitened. I must say we were so impressed.

First off the price is normally $149 but....if you wait there will be a $99 special. That is the lowest they will go and remember all spa treatments include grats so that $99 plus the tip.

It doesn't hurt at all and you can go on and eat drink no sensitivity problems (and I have sensitive teeth). I also have a partial plate and they used the Go Smile system on that too. The end results? I went 6 noticeably shades lighter. My husband 4. They do try to get you to purchase the complete at home kits. I said no and no pressure. Saw the at home kits for $49 and will grab that from Amazon.

My recommendation is "Try it you'll like it"!!!!

My dentist suggests to make a paste of baking powder, equal parts of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and water (H20). Cost is just pennies per application.:D:D

Baking powder or baking soda?

Baking powder or baking soda?

I'm pretty sure they mean baking soda. This treatment was recommended by my dentist to apply before deep scaling.

OP, if this is a matter of if you're going to get it done or not and if it is a decent value on the ship...thats somewhat a personal decision. Everything in the spa is marked up from what you could get at home. Would it be something you could do to look great in your photos, go for it.

The system they are using is not the full strength application that only dentists or other legally certified people can use here in the US. Those require pre application before the treatment.

This is a treatment that is more powerful than crest treatments, but not professional strength either.

I say if you always wanted to do it, go for it. Ignore the comments about removing enamel, what Katie does at home and all the other distracting comments. Hell it is teeth whiting, it not like he is asking about getting LASIK surgery in 30 foot seas people...

Edited by jiggs

OP, if this is a matter of if you're going to get it done or not and if it is a decent value on the ship...thats somewhat a personal decision. Everything in the spa is marked up from what you could get at home. Would it be something you could do to look great in your photos, go for it.

The system they are using is not the full strength application that only dentists or other legally certified people can use here in the US. Those require pre application before the treatment.

This is a treatment that is more powerful than crest treatments, but not professional strength either.

I say if you always wanted to do it, go for it. Ignore the comments about removing enamel, what Katie does at home and all the other distracting comments. Hell it is teeth whiting, it not like he is asking about getting LASIK surgery in 30 foot seas people...

And if your teeth are sore and sensitive for the rest of your cruise? If your going to do it fine but why not someone who can help you if you run into a problem?

I believe the process is accomplished

by removing outer layers of irreplaceable enamel.

Just consider that.

FALSE. Whitening procedures use a special type of hydrogen peroxide that whitens your teeth under a special light.

I highly suggest teeth whitening, but done at a local dentists office.

I got the Crest Whitestrips to try for my next cruise!! Apparently, they're super easy to use, fast, I'm guessing pain/sensitivity free and last for awhile. I'm also guessing they're a lot cheaper than any of the Spa Services onboard. I got mine on sale from Amazon. I'll let you all know how they (or if they) work!! :D

It also depends on what made your teeth loose their natural whiteness. As a child I was on meds that took the whiteness out of my teeth. The only thing I can do now is get veneers, which are very expensive, at least where I live. No amount of white strips, or baking soda concoctions, or spa treatments will ever change it. This according to my dentist.