Person sighted overboard on Sapphire

Shake

I am interest in how they go about "counting" everybody on board the ship. Could you please elaborate?

Nicci

It will be interesting to see how Princess handles this but on a different cruise line a couple of years ago for an incident like this, they requested that everyone report to their muster station so that cards could be scanned. Dave

I am interest in how they go about "counting" everybody on board the ship. Could you please elaborate?

Nicci

Captain has ordered everyone to their cabins for a head count. It,s dinner time on formal night and we are currently drifting about 5 knots.

Pam, you are so right, it is very hard to just fall overboard. Usually involves alcohol.

So, if everyone is accounted for, then the ship continues on?

If everyone is accounted for, then the emergency is over. Sounds like the counting is to determine who is missing. The ship must conduct this before notifying the Coast Guard. This is why there is often a delay between the time a person is reported missing and the CG is notified. If the CG were notified every time someone can't find a family member or friend, they'd be on alert constantly. Hence the required count.

It's probable that the stewards are taking the count. After Muster a couple of weeks ago, I returned to my cabin to this notice on the door. I've never seen this before but I bet they're using it for the count:

va9a2y8e.jpg

Archived