High End Mexican? Really Good Deli?

sail7seas

[quote name='English_in_Spain'][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Several people have suggested tapas.

The problem with this is you really need very fresh seasonal ingredients. As someone mentioned when talking of a fish restaurant, you cannot make good tapas with frozen food.

Here in Spain, people just cook what is good at the market that day.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

true enough Carol - they could only do it in the Med if they bought local produce at the ports. Part of what makes tapas and Med food so good is the freshness.

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Just to make you all hungry, here are some tapas we get here

[IMG]http://www.mandarinabluetours.com/images/ruta-tapas-alicante-gastronomia-mandarinablue-variantes.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.mandarinabluetours.com/images/ruta-tapas-alicante-chipirones.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRICP8MnB21H_x3OJKIWSqqvl__E2hM-5bJ1s0ZxiLcXCenOoz_[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeourzVSCXrMmX7GUpPdikyZgwBHteOy6rv-NMlncN3gOtpR8I8Q[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCwTrMFSPpTNLWEjg4VSOWGSpMpQdGS5ICN5MkIy_Gdxpm4hFPSw[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8Jig1_wDtcqoHWvx0pAcbPvEsgdXcJ6X5s-h71WTIVzDilj5X[/IMG]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='catl331']Okay EIS I better find those delicious tapas in Barcelona!!

I would like to see one of those food trucks from LA out by the aft pools at lunch time!!:)[/QUOTE]

Lots of great tapas in Barcelona Carol - and if you want a treat, go to the Boqueria for a bite or lunch - to the back on the left hand side. Great little spot - you might have to wait for a stool - but it's worth it:D:D

[quote name='kazu']Lots of great tapas in Barcelona Carol - and if you want a treat, go to the Boqueria for a bite or lunch - to the back on the left hand side. Great little spot - you might have to wait for a stool - but it's worth it:D:D[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]I agree. I love La Boqueria both for food shopping and for the eating places.

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/fish1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/Picture012.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/Breakfast-at-Boqueria-12-600x400.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/DSC_0126.jpg[/IMG]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I got wholloped on these boards once before for suggesting this, but here goes again... (it was actually a fun dialouge, even though NOBODY agreed with me!!!):)

I think HAL would be wise to insert a "healthy choice" section in the Lido - moreso than just salads - for those people on diets or restricting their intake. A big win would be to have it branded with a national weight loss program like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, etc.. heck, they could even introduce daily WW meetings onboard for those in need (Friends of Dorothy, Friends of Chubby, etc...), and it culd be an additional source of revenue for them, and a strong poin of difference in their marketing.

I would think the biggest complaint - and biggest joy - about cruising is the weight gain. If there were good tasting, sensible choice, with adhered to portion controls, I think passengers would appreciate it and support it.

.. and if not, there are plenty of other choices at the Lido. I'm sure HAL would love to hand out less food!:D

Alright, start wholloping me!!!:D:D

[B]I'd NEVER wallop you, Kevin,,,,,, But

(here comes the But).
Many of us work hard at controlling our weight without the Jenny Craigs and WW of the world. I have a problem with HAL 'endorsing' one program or the other though I positively LOVE the idea of a healthful eating section in Lido that is more than salad.

How about freshly made ratatouille (low cal and so nutritious), how about measured portions of whatever dish that state the calorie and nutrition information for the particular dish? We all know fruit and salad are healthful but when we're on a ship for a few weeks, I'd love to have nutrition info on certain dishes as it could well broaden the selections I permit myself to sample.

That brings me back to whole wheat pastas and whole grain breads etc I've pleaded for that for years.

I hope you see this as a positive view to your suggestion as it is.
I'm just not crazy about endorsing one diet system over another as we could argue which is best..... South Beach, Jenny Craig, WW, Mediterranean Diet, Low Carb and the beat goes on. :D

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I'd NEVER wallop you, Kevin[/B]

[B]I hope you see this as a positive view to your suggestion as it is. [/B]
[B]I'm just not crazy about endorsing one diet system over another as we could argue which is best..... South Beach, Jenny Craig, WW, Mediterranean Diet, Low Carb and the beat goes on. :D[/B]

[/quote]

Of course I see it as positive, and I particulaly agree with your last comment about picking one system. That DOES present a problem. It is something that could be overcome with various focus groups and market research, though... (or which company is prepared to write the BIGGEST check to HAL for the opportunity!)

I just see the need, due the "homogenation" of the cruise industry, that points of difference are becoming more important. In my opinion, the one that wins will be the one that picks emerging consumer trends - like healthy eating - versus a new Wave Rider.

And there would be a benefit to HAL to doing whatever they can to see that their customers live LONG and healthy lives... haha!!!

If you'll excuse me, I have to go eat now... I'm hungry!!!:D:D

[quote name='ASIWISH']Of course I see it as positive, and I particulaly agree with your last comment about picking one system. That DOES present a problem. It is something that could be overcome with various focus groups and market research, though... (or which company is prepared to write the BIGGEST check to HAL for the opportunity!)

I just see the need, due the "homogenation" of the cruise industry, that points of difference are becoming more important. In my opinion, the one that wins will be the one that picks emerging consumer trends - like healthy eating - versus a new Wave Rider.

And there would be a benefit to HAL to doing whatever they can to see that their customers live LONG and healthy lives... haha!!!

If you'll excuse me, I have to go eat now... I'm hungry!!!:D:D[/quote]

[B] Your point about the honogenation is right on as is the increasingly more important need for each cruise ship to find their 'hook' that can appeal to many and tilt them toward booking HAL because they've heard about that 'healthy eating section of Lido' that everyone is raving about.

That hook can be a big deal.

Great idea, Kevin.

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Your point about the honogenation is right on...[/B]
[/quote]

... and again, thank you for your ongoing grace and etiquette in not publically pointing out that "homogenation" is not an actual word!!!

Your patience with me seems endless, Sail!!!:):):)

[quote name='ASIWISH']Of course I see it as positive, and I particulaly agree with your last comment about picking one system. That DOES present a problem. It is something that could be overcome with various focus groups and market research, though... (or which company is prepared to write the BIGGEST check to HAL for the opportunity!)

If you'll excuse me, I have to go eat now... I'm hungry!!!:D:D[/quote]

On Celebrity's new ships, they offer a restaurant with a sort of "spa cuisine" menu. I think the trend is to shy away from the term "diet"...

Of course, you can only eat there if you are booked in one of their Aqua Spa cabins....and sometimes to suite cruisers for a small upcharge as well. It seems to be very popular on the Celebrity boards.

[quote name='ASIWISH']... and again, thank you for your ongoing grace and etiquette in not publically pointing out that "homogenation" is not an actual word!!!

Your patience with me seems endless, Sail!!!:):):)[/quote]

[B] :o:o
And you were kind to not point out my typo. :o

That's a good point, Cruisemom , about moving away from the term diet. It is more tasteful/tactful to say healthy eating style etc

I think Kevin is onto a really good point. A healthful food section in Lido or even a separate restaurant which serves healthful foods prepared in healthy fashion with the nutrition information available could be very appealing to many.

Every week we read about dietary needs for sugar free, gluten free, low salt etc Many people want to know exactly what is in their food and to have access to food that suits their way of eating.

[/B]

Much of this can be accomplished as things are now. Anyone can control their own content and portions, as we do (or don't do) in everyday life. I have no desire to gain weight and have set up my own guidelines which mirrors your intent. A few examples:

1. No eating between meals. Three full meals a day is enough! This includes no high tea service.

2. Don't start eating bread rolls until the entree is served.

3. Make good use of the Promenade deck and the gym.

You get the idea. My wife and and I thoroughly enjoy our cruises but walk off at the end perhaps only one or two pounds heavier.

I don't see any value in "branding". HAL has their own cuisine experts.

igraf

[quote name='ASIWISH']....I think HAL would be wise to insert a "healthy choice" section in the Lido - moreso than just salads - for those people on diets or restricting their intake. .....

I would think the biggest complaint - and biggest joy - about cruising is the weight gain. If there were good tasting, sensible choice, with adhered to portion controls, I think passengers would appreciate it and support it.....[/quote]

[B]I really don't intend to be argumentative and hope you do not take it that way but seeing there are so many venues for eating/dining on HAL ships, it is easy to avoid a healthful/nutrition information supplied section or restaurant if you don't wish to partake of such a place.

Choices,,,,,,, the more choices we all have the better. We can then choose whether we want that sort of section on the ships and use it or we avoid it.

[/B]

There is usually a "healthy choice" selection indicated on the MDR menu.

igraf

[quote name='ASIWISH']....I think HAL would be wise to insert a "healthy choice" section in the Lido - moreso than just salads - for those people on diets or restricting their intake. ...[/quote]

[B]They seem to be leaning toward Vegetarian on MDR menus now. That is not necessarily a healthy choice. Vegetarian can be high calorie but seeing the menu doesn't designate, it's not always possible to tell what the nutrition is for it. White rice is often included and I don't call that a healthy choice. JMO.....[/B]

[quote name='English_in_Spain'][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]I agree. I love La Boqueria both for food shopping and for the eating places.

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/fish1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/Picture012.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/Breakfast-at-Boqueria-12-600x400.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Barcelona/DSC_0126.jpg[/IMG]

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Carol - you are making me wish I was returning to Spain instead of my French and Baltic ports in May- wonderful pics:D making me crave la Boqueria one more time:D

[quote name='BJzink']Hate to promote another cruise line, but the Ruby Princess has a wine bar which gives 2 plates of tapas when you purchase a bottle. Would like to see this on the HAL ships too.[/quote]

[B] You may not know that HAL serves hot hors d'ouerves during cocktail hour when you order a drink in various bars. It changes each night what they offer but there are usually two hot and several cold appetizers every evening.

Ocean Bar and Crows Nest are the ones most often where you can find the 'nibbles' though sometimes in other bars.

[/B]

[quote=jbhcw;37305282

On my cruise out of Boston this summer I am spending all my shore excursion money on Lobster and fish...have already told DH...he just laughs at me:D[/quote]

[SIZE=3]On my b2b New England cruise two years ago, I had lobster in every port. So gooood.

[SIZE=3]George C. You must mean Becco's on Restaurant Row.I haven't eaten there in a few years, but remember it as being quite good. There's also a great French restaurant on 46th called Le Rivage. Not heavy into cream sauces, and really good.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[quote name='mamaofami'][SIZE=3]On my b2b New England cruise two years ago, I had lobster in every port. So gooood.

[SIZE=3]George C. You must mean Becco's on Restaurant Row.I haven't eaten there in a few years, but remember it as being quite good. There's also a great French restaurant on 46th called Le Rivage. Not heavy into cream sauces, and really good.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

we have eaten at many of the places on Restaurant row, we go to NYC once a year and always stay in that area ( Michangelo hotel at 51st and 7th is great) , also like music at " Don't tell your mama" , will be booking NYC soon.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I really don't intend to be argumentative and hope you do not take it that way but seeing there are so many venues for eating/dining on HAL ships, it is easy to avoid a healthful/nutrition information supplied section or restaurant if you don't wish to partake of such a place. [/B]

[B]Choices,,,,,,, the more choices we all have the better. We can then choose whether we want that sort of section on the ships and use it or we avoid it.[/B]

[/quote]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]They seem to be leaning toward Vegetarian on MDR menus now. That is not necessarily a healthy choice. Vegetarian can be high calorie but seeing the menu doesn't designate, it's not always possible to tell what the nutrition is for it. White rice is often included and I don't call that a healthy choice. JMO.....[/B][/quote]

In my experience, people who are interested in healthy eating know what they want and what healthy eating means for them. They don't need it pointed out to them on a menu. If you don't want white rice, don't eat it. That doesn't mean someone else will decide against it -- in a small portion, perhaps.

Expecting the cruiseline to "designate" things that are high-calorie or low-calorie is really abdicating your personal responsibility to stay informed and aware and personally responsible. If a person doesn't eat cream sauces at home due to their healthy eating regimen, chances are good they won't be eating a lot of cream sauces on vacation. Those people will choose sorbet instead of ice cream, or a fruit plate instead of the chocolate souffle.

Archived