To Bangs or not to Bangs, that is the question!

magandab

GO FOR IT!

I cut my bangs at my husband's insistence 2 years ago, and I'll never go back! I love them, they make me look younger, they flatter my face, and they're lots of fun! They take a little more work (blow-drying them out straight every morning) and maintenance (trims every 4 weeks for me!) but I say go for it! They'll grow out quick if you don't like them.

I have a large forehead and strong features (big eyes and lips and a strong jawline) so the bangs don't overpower my face. Look at celebrities with similar face shape to yours and you'll see if they have bangs or not how it looks. I look at Emma Stone or Olivia Wild (both had strong jaws like mine, I'm NOT saying I look anything like them!!) and they look great with bangs.

Good luck!

I absolutely agree with Carmen. Full cut bangs wouldn't be best for your face shape and hair. I have a friend with very similar hair and face shape. Her bangs are cut straight across her forehead and I think she looks 15 years older with them.

If you decide to try out bangs, you might want to try bang hairpieces. I've seen them at Ulta --- a fun way to try something new without having to make a commitment :)

And I agree - that photo is great!

Well, I disagree that the shape of your face would not suit straight bangs. You have an oval face and your forehead, while not "large", would easily support bangs. I probably wouldn't go as heavy as Michelle Obama's new bangs, but she has pretty thick hair and the style does work well on her. If you try a straight bang, make sure it's a bit longer (I don't like my bangs above my eyebrows) so that you can brush it to the side if you don't end up loving it, plus it will grow out more quickly. Then if you decide you do like them, you can always cut a bit more. Just make sure you don't do that super poofy curled under thing like in the 80's/90's, that's the look that will make you look older. My hairdresser told me that bangs in a current style can take 10 years off your face. I tend to go back and forth between a side bang and a full bang, in fact I just cut my own last week from a side bang to a full bang and I'm having fun with them. In a couple weeks they'll be too long and then I can either cut them again or brush them to the side!

Here's me a few weeks ago:

And here's me last week after I cut my bangs:

2041948693_orangecoat.jpg.456b15143c091fea7bbc4e8464ef93c3.jpg

2064851628_Redsweater.jpg.94b771a63d1f5f95fcc188d387d73bea.jpg

I think I"m going to try some light, side-swept bangs and see how it goes. I don't think I'd like heavy full bangs and I definitely don't do the big curled under ones. Espeically since with my hair, they might start out that way but will be completely uncurled in a matter of an hour or two.

I am going to agree with the last poster that you hair looks beautiful right now. If you want to try bangs, I would say some very light side swept bang, as Gordonchick suggested.

It's funny that you as that, because I have been debating whether or not to go back to them now for at least a year! My daughters insist that I look better without them, but I remain unconvinced.

You and I both wear glasses. I have experimented with bangs but discovered, for me, they can be tricky with the glasses, too much going on in that one area of the face.

Anyway, I say, try out bangs, maybe with the faux bangs to see how well they work with your glasses and what shape or length works the best for you. It is fun to try a different look.

I love your hair style and color--I'm not brave enough to go gray, but then not everyone will have the lovely gray color you have.

I also think light bangs would look very nice; I think the very heavy bangs can be aging for many of us, though you might be able to pull it off.

I wear bangs out of necessity, and have for years, because my hair grows in such a way that it absolutely won't stay out of my eyes if I don't have bangs --believe, me I tried, back in the day when long straight hair parted in the middle was the rage (70's). It just naturally falls to the front, kind of like Cousin It.

I love the look of longer bangs but just cannot stand anything hanging in front of my eyes, so I am always sniping away, trying to get the perfect length. Too short looks dorky, too curled looks dated, too long drives me nuts. Side swept doesn't work well because of the growth pattern.

Bangs are great at disguising some of those forehead lines we're not so fond of!

Wow, you are all so nice and so supportive! I stopped coloring my hair probably five years ago and I'm loving it. Yes, I have people look right at me and ask why I don't color my hair but for the most part I get compliments or polite silence!

Wow, you are all so nice and so supportive! I stopped coloring my hair probably five years ago and I'm loving it. Yes, I have people look right at me and ask why I don't color my hair but for the most part I get compliments or polite silence!

Before you cut, why not try some clip on bangs to see how it looks?

http://www.beauty.com/products/prod.asp?pid=226467&catid=298431&cmbProdBrandFilter=67328&mp=True&aid=338669&aparam=goobase_filler

Unfortunately, I've never seen them in any shade of gray! And, I hear there are 50 of those. :eek:

If I start slow, and keep them whispy and longish, they will grow out fast, so I can deal with liking them or not.

OWN your grey hair! I always have 'owned' mine. There aren't too many that can.

...I have people look right at me and ask why I don't color my hair but for the most part I get compliments or polite silence!

WHAT? :confused: Gosh, that's so rude. I am shocked... :(

Unfortunately, I've never seen them in any shade of gray! And, I hear there are 50 of those. :eek:

Shoot, you're hilarious! :D:D:D

I think bangs would look great on you. You have a high forehead which is perfect for bangs and with your great hair color you could really pull this off. Don't forget that bangs subtract years too, because they provide a "softer" look which is not as severe as no bangs. Not everyone can wear them but I'd say you are a perfect candidate!

Like another poster stated before, glasses with a fringe can be tricky. It all depends how your hair will hold a fringe. Myself I have very fine hair and it doesn't work great. Also you have to consider whether you have a cowlick as hair dresser has to be careful not to cut your fringe too short when wet as it will look too short when dry.

You could have an angled fringe on one side of the head which frames the face down the to the length of your hair.

Archived