Allure for the 50-60 age???

Just booked the Allure, mainly wanted a ship experience on the worlds largest ship. Now I am second guessing myself after reading comments such as " a huge floating amusement park". Please someone be honest with me, I love kids but do not care to be surrounded constantly with noise etc.

Thanks

Marcia

Hi

I have booked Allure for a B2B in April this year.

I am going with my mother who is 76.

The Allure is by all accounts a very busy ship and yes it does have a lot of kids.

I have not yet sailed so cannot speak from experience but from talking to friends who have sailed and looking at videos on You Tube i would say there are things to do for all ages.

My experiences on the Freedom class is that the kids are generally occupied in kids clubs during the day but that when the "Dreamworks" stuff kicks in then yes, it can seem very over run with kids.

From the advice given by my friends, if you want peaceful time during the day, on a sea day for example, the best place is in the Solarium area where it is over 16's only.

Hope this helps, maybe someone who has already cruised on Allure can be of more help

Happy Sailing :)

I would say that "yes", Oasis and Allure have a lot of kids, but proportionately, not more than other ships.

Greater passenger capacity = larger NUMBER of kids, but not necessarily a higher percentage of the cruisers than other ships.

Whether or not there are a lot of kids on a ship depends more on the time of year then it does the actual ship. I cruise now almost every September and there are not a lot of kids on those cruises since most of them just went back to school. I've noticed this on the Freedom, Liberty, Oasis and Allure.

I would never cruise during the summer months or spring break time since there would be a ton of kids running all over the place.

Just returned from the Allure 2/3/13 sailing. Our group of 29 from our senior community loved the ship. The shows are outstanding, the ship is magnificent to see and sail on, and the people were from all age categories. Most of us has balconies overlooking the boardwalk and loved them. You do hear many wonderful things about the Oasis and the Allure, but once you get on the ship, you finally realize what everyone is talking about.

Happy sails to you,

Tina

DH and I are in our 60's. We love the Oasis class of ships. We have been on the Oasis, and will be doing a B2B on the Allure in July 2013. We travel alone. Did not feel there were too many kids on the Oasis when we sailed on her in July of 2011.

Also, did not feel out of place as senior citizens on the Oasis. Loved everything it had to offer - went on the Zipline and the Merry-go-round. I also waited in line to get a balloon character - a pink flower balloon that decorated my stateroom for the week.

I guess we are still kids at heart. I work with kids everyday, and do not mind seeing them on the cruise ship. In fact, I look forward to seeing them. Most kids are pretty good, and have not disturbed me in any way.

There are plenty of places you can go to to get away from the noise. The Solarium pool area is nice, as is Central Park. Quiet can be found in the Viking Crown Lounge and the Library. Deck 5, is the walking/jogging tract. If you go aft, you will find an open viewing area of the ocean, complete with loungers. You can access this area by taking the stairs that are behind the Aqua Theater stage on Boardwalk.

I agree with everyone else :D We loved the Oasis class. After reading that they didn't feel as crowded as the Freedom class we were skeptical but at times it really doesn't. The promenade is so much bigger and there are so many more eating venues to pick from. You do miss the views from deck 4 like the Freedom has but there are plenty of places to see the ocean from. Happy Cruising

DH and I will be 53 and 56 when we go on Allure in Nov. We don't think of ourselves as old at all LOL. We always expect to see kids, but we do try to cruise at times when there are less kids.

We are in the same situation, but we always cruise when kids are back in school and try to cruise after spring break is done. We booked Allure for the end of Sept, in the hopes there will be less kids !

There most definitely will be very few children.

Our first one, in 2010 was in September on the Oasis. VERY few children. We are the same....NO HOLIDAYS...SPRING BREAKS...OR SUMMER ...LOL.

We did Oasis as an adult cruise, and the ship is so big, you can avoid all the "amusements" if they are not for you, and you won't see many kids because they will be at the character breakfasts, kids pools, parades, and you will be having a delicious dinner in Central Park, sunning in the solarium or enjoying one of the many lounges on the promenade. Book late shows after 9 PM and try to dine later.

As mentioned above, avoid Presidents week in Feb, avoid Easter and all of March, Christmas and summers. Try November ( but not thanksgiving, or the first week which is Jersey week- Jersey teachers are meeting and the kids are often off for the week. ) early December, early May, early September. January is college breaks, big kids, but not little kids.

Have fun! I know we did!

We are in our 50s...

We've been on Allure before...and will be back in January...

There may be lots of kids but the good thing is that all of those kid-favorite amenities keep them occupied and that makes the more adult areas more adult...

There is lots onboard for those of us who are "too old" to be surfing and ice skating...

The entertainment is outstanding...really nothing else like it...

Specialy restaurants offer a great assortment...

It really is an outstanding cruise experience...even if you never surf or zipline (though we DID do that!)...

53 year old here... LOVED Allure of the Seas this past December as a solo cruiser. Ate everywhere else but the MDR except once for the breakfast buffet. I don't do all of the other stuff like rock climbing walls, flowriders, zip line. Entertainment was superb, specialty dining is amazing, Central Park at night quiet and unforgettably beautiful.

Check out the pictures in my signature! :D

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

Archived