Why board early?

It is all a matter of personal preference. I like to be on as early as possible to get started on my vacation and that first frozen adult beverage by the pool, but there is no need to be the first on board. Cabins are not usually open until 1:00 or 1:30. If sleeping in and having a relaxing breakfast is a way to start your vacation, that sounds like a good plan to me.

Eric

First Frozen.....Eric knows how to start the vacation

If I eat lunch somewhere else, I'm paying for two lunches! If the weather is nice we like to do some pool time while it's not too crowded. That didn't work out so well on our recent Navigator from NOLA cruise. It was only 55 degrees on sailaway. BRRR.

We base our planned boarding time on where the homeport is and whether there are things we want to do there. On one of our cruises out of California, we went to the Sunday Gospel brunch at House of Blues pre-cruise, so didn't board until around 2:00. Another time we went to Disneyland for a few hours to get in those last must-do rides before boarding. When we are on a European cruise, we usually board a bit later as well because there are always so many other things I want to see and do more than eat lunch at the WJ.

My parents flew in from the Eat coast the day before. We had planned to sleep in, eat a leisurely breakfast, do some sight seeing around Galveston, have a late lunch by the port, and board the ship around 3 PM to avoid the crowds. We all were all so excited about the cruise that we were all up, showered and eating breakfast by 8AM - so much for sleeping in! After breakfast we drove around the corner, and there was the magnificent Mariner of The Seas. Suddenly everyone wanted to scrap the plans and get on board! We drove back to the hotel, threw the bags in the car and had checked in at the port by 11:00. We were on the ship eating by 12:30, had our soda cards, and the rooms were ready by the time we finished lunch. We spent a great afternoon catching up with my parents sipping cocktails up on the pool deck. We are scheduled to go again next year, and I have a feeling we will be there early again. Each of us has our own idea how we want to start our vacations - you just have to go with the flow!

We always have a carryon and it can be a little bit of a hassle hauling it and then finding a place to put it while we lunch, but I still want to get there around 11:00/12:00. We were able to get in our cabin at 1:00. They made an announcement when the cabins were ready. If you board after 1:00, you will run into the RC buses and the lines will form.

If there is a delay getting into the cabins, you can always have another drink at the lunch table or go up to the pool deck. I don't see any down side to getting on as early as they will let me get on.

I guess I am spoiled by living 20 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale and 45 minutes from Miami. I would rather wait until everything thins out with the those trying to be early onboard. I think on our last cruise we boarded around 2:30 or so (after we went to the gym and dropped the dog off with family).

That's what DH does when we sail from LA or Long Beach (on other lines). He works until about 1:30, gets to the pier in 15 minutes and boards in time to meet me at [fill in name of bar] for a drink before muster.

As far as boarding snafus, I'm not sure what could go wrong if you've done your online checkin and have proper documentation. I recently had to substitute another credit card for the one I had used for online checkin and that took all of 2-3 minutes to deal with.

Used to be we were anxious to get on and would show up around 11am. Got tired of dragging around the carry on til 1:00 or even 2:00 on some ships. Plus, depending on the departure city, there were many great restaurants I would rather have lunch at than the Windjammer, after all, I'll be there for days anyway.

Our plan is to usually get there around 1:00 - 2:00.

My calculations demonstrate our vacation is costing us $53.57 per hour, assuming exactly 7 days.

Nuff said.

How much of that $53.57 is fixed cost, and how much is variable?

My calculations demonstrate our vacation is costing us $53.57 per hour, assuming exactly 7 days.

Nuff said.

However, if you've never been to San Juan, Miami, New Orleans and you've flown in the day before, why wouldn't you want to spend some of that time making the departure port an additional (and essentially FREE) port of call? I think that's particularly true of San Juan, where ships don't depart until after 8PM.

I still eat LUNCH on the ship...even if it's a LATE lunch. I do the same - for the most part - on the islands. I know, I'm sacrificing the opportunity to try local cuisine, but I guess that's where my "But it's FREEE" frugality kicks in!!:D

How much of that $53.57 is fixed cost, and how much is variable?

Most is fixed, so it wouldn't change much by boarding early.

However, if you've never been to San Juan, Miami, New Orleans and you've flown in the day before, why wouldn't you want to spend some of that time making the departure port an additional (and essentially FREE) port of call? I think that's particularly true of San Juan, where ships don't depart until after 8PM.

I still eat LUNCH on the ship...even if it's a LATE lunch. I do the same - for the most part - on the islands. I know, I'm sacrificing the opportunity to try local cuisine, but I guess that's where my "But it's FREEE" frugality kicks in!!:D

I agree with seeing the area, which is why we always go at least 1 day before. But by embarkation day I'm ready to board and have done/seen what I want. On our upcoming we're spending a day at Universal Studios before cruise.

And as far as dragging around carryons, our habit is to establish a base as soon as we board, usually by the pool, and leave bags there. We then go to buffet or whatever in shifts.

We try to scope out our base ahead of time. On our upcoming we're parking on one of the tables by the juice bar in the H2O zone so the kids can play.

Maybe after another 10 cruises the excitement will wear off but for now I still can't wait to get on board. So I don't.

Maybe after another 10 cruises the excitement will wear off but for now I still can't wait to get on board. So I don't.

I havent had 10 cruises yet but I agree :) And IF that excitement ever wears off, I will find another means of vacation. So far for Royal Caribbean cruises, I have only boarded in Tampa and Port Canaveral. There is nothing in those two cities that I want to see that I have not see before from living in Central FL for 20 years.

I understand some people here have been on 30 or 40 cruises and the whole boarding day process is mundane to them but I personally, want to be as close to the first passenger getting on the ship as I can :)

The old addage that goes around here "You paid for that day so you might as well get all of it you can" certainly applies to me. Even if I lived in the port city, I would still want to board as early as possible.

Here's what we do:

1. Get something to eat, usually a fairly light lunch from the buffet and explore ship. First and second boat drinks.

2. When room is ready, go to room. When luggage arrives, get everything put away and organized. Relax on balcony.

3. Explore ship.

4. Go to the pool area, listen to the band, get in cruise mode with another drink.

5. Muster.

6. Enjoy sailaway from the upper deck.

That's a full afternoon, so we like to get on the ship ASAP.

Most is fixed, so it wouldn't change much by boarding early.

I agree with seeing the area, which is why we always go at least 1 day before. But by embarkation day I'm ready to board and have done/seen what I want. On our upcoming we're spending a day at Universal Studios before cruise.

And as far as dragging around carryons, our habit is to establish a base as soon as we board, usually by the pool, and leave bags there. We then go to buffet or whatever in shifts.

We try to scope out our base ahead of time. On our upcoming we're parking on one of the tables by the juice bar in the H2O zone so the kids can play.

I'm going on my 18th cruise next month, and still haven't lost that excitement.

We alleviate the hassle by not taking carry-ons to lug around. I have either a large purse or beach type bag that slings over my shoulder that holds any kinds of documents/electronics/meds/money. That's it.

We board as early as possible because we are VERY early risers (6 am would be sleeping in for us), we fly to the port at least a day or two ahead, so we do our sightseeing then, and embarkation day is just that.

We get very excited (we are ship lovers) and our favorite thing to do is after eating lunch, grab a cocktail and plunk ourselves down on a deck chair watching all the poor saps who are still arriving to check in! We don't need to swim on the first day, or get to our cabins immediately, but just knowing that you are onboard and starting your cruise makes getting onboard early well worth it.

7 days is 168 hours. That's $9,000!! You must be figuring for more than one person. Or staying in a huge suite!

My cruise is $749pp. With airfare more like $2,000pp. That's $12 an hour per person. Big deal.

7 days is 168 hours. That's $9,000!! You must be figuring for more than one person. Or staying in a huge suite!

My cruise is $749pp. With airfare more like $2,000pp. That's $12 an hour per person. Big deal.

damn, thats an expensive cruise. Sure hope it's for more than 2 people (most likely 4/5).

My bet is its a family of 4.

My husband and I had a balcony on the Adventure last year (S. Caribbean), which was a little less than $1300/person. Figuring in the cost of airfare and a hotel, the base cost was about $4200.

By them going a day early, they still get to see the embarkation point so it isn't like they lost out.

I used to want to board early, for all the reasons mentioned, but it's kind of a pain having to lug around your carry-on. My next cruise leaves out of San Juan and I want to do some sight-seeing before boarding. That should help me curb my over-anxious behavior and put off boarding until 1:00-2:00 so I can dump my bags in the cabin before eating lunch!

FYI We were on Navigator in February and they were offering a carry-on baggage check service! This is the first time I've seen this service offered. You had to go to one of the lounges where they took your bags and gave you a tag to claim them by 1pm. We took advantage of this and it was great. We just kept a small amount of things we needed and didn't have to drag our bags through the lunch venues or up to the mini golf course. It was great! I hope this becomes a regular service - has anyone seen this on any other ships?

I havent had 10 cruises yet but I agree :) And IF that excitement ever wears off, I will find another means of vacation. ...

I understand some people here have been on 30 or 40 cruises and the whole boarding day process is mundane to them but I personally, want to be as close to the first passenger getting on the ship as I can :)

The old addage that goes around here "You paid for that day so you might as well get all of it you can" certainly applies to me. Even if I lived in the port city, I would still want to board as early as possible.

I've been on almost 30 cruises and live less than a half hour from the port in Fort Lauderdale and less than 45 minutes from the port in Miami. We still board as early as we can. One time a few cruises ago, I had a meeting and couldn't get to the port until around 2:00 or so. What a nightmare. I was stuck in line for ages. We consider the ability to board early so easily one of the perks of living in So. Florida.

DH & I have managed since 2002, 5 cruises and soon to embark on our dream trip to Sydney & NZ, we still enjoy getting on board by noon, yet this time, because our daughter and DH's sister are going on their very first cruise, we just might get down by 10:30 so we can board as soon as possible and let them enjoy the experience.:)

I would love to sleep in as we are leaving our 3 sons behind (10,10, and 9) and sleeping in doesnt happen very often in our house. Unfortunately, like a previous poster, I'm like a Kid on Xmas and probably wont be able to sleep in and will be up by 7 or so. My wife on the other hand....thats a different story. I'll probably get up and go for an early morning walk. We are staying at the Hilton marina so from what I understand its close to the pier.

Let me know what you think of the Hilton Marina when you return from your cruise, that is where RC is putting us up at, the night between our B2B cruise. I've been reading many conflicting reviews, also any local places to eat breakfast since they don't serve complimentary breakfasts. Thanks!

Yes it's for 4 people 2 cabins. Spring break is a killer, cheapest we could get for flights out of Denver was $2200. So it adds up.

Granted we do balconies and could probably do it alot cheaper but the point is since we are spending that much I feel like we need to maximize.

We bring bathing suits in cary-ons and change in bathroom. Kids wear theirs onboard. They bring street clothes in their carry-ons for later.

I also enjoy early boarding because it's so not crowded, buffet is quick, we can do flowrider etc without waiting. Also we get our luggage well before dinner.

But everyone's different, and I in no way mean to imply other people's routines are "worse."

This is the way we like to do it.

So our routine is we board by 11 or so, go to our base, kids jump in pool, parents have a drink. Then one parent goes to buffet, if possible brings food back for other parent, otherwise that parent goes when first returns (we bring the food back to our base rather than eat in WJ. Thus proximity to buffet is an important factor in choosing base.) We leave our bags at base. Eventually parents change and jump in pool also. By 2 or so we go to room, change back to street clothes and tour ship. If bags have been delivered already we unpack. Then muster and sailaway.

Of course there are more drinks in the routine but I summarized.

My wife and I were discussing about when we are going to board the ship for our cruise. I know a lot of people on here like to board as early as possible (11:00?). We were thinking about sleeping in (if we can), having breakfast some where, and boarding around 1:00 or so....hoping the cabins will be ready when we get there. Is the biggest incentive to boarding really early just to get your vacation started early? Are lines longer or shorter if you wait until 1:00 or so? We will be arriving in Ft. LAuderdale at 1:00 the previous day (MArch 15th) s I consider that the beginning of our vacation. While I will be excited about getting on the ship, I dont want to ruch around in the morning trying to get to the ship. Do many of you wait? What is your reasoning? Other than getting a couple extra hours on the ship....are there other reasons to boarding early?

do what you want to do:),its your holiday enjoy:)

I usually get to the port at 10:00 and it takes about 15 minutes to get through the check in process. I've looked at the lines around noon and later while on board the ship, and they look long. I've also seen many complaints about long boarding times here on CC. I've even read on CC or heard personal accounts of people waiting a long time (sometimes hours) to board a sailing that I was on where it took me the usual 15 minutes (plus maybe 45 minutes of sitting in an air conditioned port terminal on my laptop) to get through the check in process.

I also like to enjoy my first meal on board in an empty WJ or other dining venue of choice. How often can you eat a meal or explore a ship while it is almost literally empty? Eating a regular meal while nobody else is around is such a relaxing feeling.

As to the post I quoted, my last cruise on Celebrity Silhouette I was actually the first person to board the ship. I assume this doesn't count the hundred or so passengers that may have been on b2b's, but as I stepped on board, the person greeting me after passing my card through the all famous "ding" machine said, "welcome aboard, you're the first passenger." That was pretty neat. What was also great was going to the specialty dining desk to make reservations, going to guest services to make a change, and then eating in Bistro on 5, all without having more than a dozen or so other people near me. No rushing, and no dealing with the stress of hundreds of people all trying to do the same two things at the same time (eating and visiting guest services/dining reservations).

The last thing that's great is for those that want to explore and take photos of the ship, other than possibly at mid night hours (maybe 2-4am?), there is no other time you can get photos without people in them.

Archived