Why board early?

My wife and I were discussing about when we are going to board the ship for our cruise. I know a lot of people on here like to board as early as possible (11:00?). We were thinking about sleeping in (if we can), having breakfast some where, and boarding around 1:00 or so....hoping the cabins will be ready when we get there. Is the biggest incentive to boarding really early just to get your vacation started early? Are lines longer or shorter if you wait until 1:00 or so? We will be arriving in Ft. LAuderdale at 1:00 the previous day (MArch 15th) s I consider that the beginning of our vacation. While I will be excited about getting on the ship, I dont want to ruch around in the morning trying to get to the ship. Do many of you wait? What is your reasoning? Other than getting a couple extra hours on the ship....are there other reasons to boarding early?

It is all a matter of personal preference. I like to be on as early as possible to get started on my vacation and that first frozen adult beverage by the pool, but there is no need to be the first on board. Cabins are not usually open until 1:00 or 1:30. If sleeping in and having a relaxing breakfast is a way to start your vacation, that sounds like a good plan to me.

Eric

My wife and I were discussing about when we are going to board the ship for our cruise. I know a lot of people on here like to board as early as possible (11:00?). We were thinking about sleeping in (if we can), having breakfast some where, and boarding around 1:00 or so....hoping the cabins will be ready when we get there. Is the biggest incentive to boarding really early just to get your vacation started early? Are lines longer or shorter if you wait until 1:00 or so? We will be arriving in Ft. LAuderdale at 1:00 the previous day (MArch 15th) s I consider that the beginning of our vacation. While I will be excited about getting on the ship, I dont want to ruch around in the morning trying to get to the ship. Do many of you wait? What is your reasoning? Other than getting a couple extra hours on the ship....are there other reasons to boarding early?

You paid for that first day which usually begins at 11:30 or 12 noon with lunch. Why not take advantage of it?:)

I've heard that the lines are longer between 12-2 as that is the peak time. I'm usually on as soon as boarding starts. I figure I'm paying for that time I might as well use it on board :)

This makes me think about Carnival"s $49.95 option now for Faster To The Fun. I guess it varies from person to person, but we like to avoid the crowds as much as possible, and if you go too early and the cabin is not ready, or they won't allow you on your deck, that's no fun. We only go from Galveston, but we get there about 1 PM, but one time it's crowded, and next time not , so hard to figure. I can see first time cruisers especially wanting on early. To us the cruise begins when the ship starts moving..

I like to board early to avoid long lines, we usually get on pretty quick if we get to the port between 1030-1100. The few times we've arrived around 1pm we've stood in long lines to board. The worse was in Miami in 2001 (spring break) when we stood in line for almost 2 hours just to check in!:eek: Not a pleasant experience with a grumpy husband and even grumpier 18 year old!:D

Sherri:)

Your grandkids should have a lot of company that week. We were on spring break Mariner last March, and all the kids we saw were extra nice and polite, no problems with that SB cruise at all. We are on it April 7, so save me some bacon for breakfast..:)

I try to stay at a hotel near the port so I can sleep in, have a nice breakfast and be in line by 11:00. Looking forward to being on Mariner in less than 2 weeks:D

We like to get on board early, and find a nice spot by the pool. We bring all we need for the first afternoon onboard with us. We can then get our first frosty beverage of the week and watch all the newbies wader around the ship in awe.

If you need to make dinner reservations, etc I will wander off and do that while the rest of the family chills by/in the pool.

Your grandkids should have a lot of company that week. We were on spring break Mariner last March, and all the kids we saw were extra nice and polite, no problems with that SB cruise at all. We are on it April 7, so save me some bacon for breakfast..:)

Yes, there will be a lot of kids. The girls LOVE Adventure Ocean. I'll try to save a little bacon for you;) We were also on Mariner last year for spring break, but probably the week after you.

I used to want to board early, for all the reasons mentioned, but it's kind of a pain having to lug around your carry-on. My next cruise leaves out of San Juan and I want to do some sight-seeing before boarding. That should help me curb my over-anxious behavior and put off boarding until 1:00-2:00 so I can dump my bags in the cabin before eating lunch!

We usually get to the port around 11:00. Once on the ship make/modify speciality dining reservations, get soda cards, and have lunch in Windjammer before the crowds arrive and it can become chaos. By the time lunch is done and we've taken a little walk the rooms are open. We have a couple rolling carry-on's but don't mind taking them to lunch when it isn't crowded yet.

Nothing wrong with your plan either!:)

I guess my question would be "what are you going to do in that hour or two before you board that would be better than boarding early and getting your first beverage and something to eat?" With wheeled carryons, keeping them with you until your stateroom is ready, is not all that inconvenient. Sightseeing before you board still raises the question of what to do with luggage and/or carryons during that time. If lugging the carryons around the ship is a pain, how would you describe lugging them around while sightseeing? Not sure when the majority of passengers will arrive at the pier but 1 pm seems to be a likely time, so I'd rather be on board looking out at those long lines than being caught up in those lines.:)

You are most likely going to have an 11am check out from the hotel. You are going to have to get up earlier than that to shower and pack the few things you needed for your stay. If you go to breakfast somewhere, is that before or after you check out? If you have checked out, you will have to have your luggage stored or drag it all with you.

We prefer to get up between 8-9, get showered, go down to breakfast at the hotel and then check out. Grab a taxi, throw in the bags and go to the port. Ship is ready and waiting. Give bags to porters, grab our carryons and off we go.

I'm with you Banshee!

We usually like to spend that day exploring the port city. We've had a blast in Miami and San Juan on departure day. Then, after the crowds have subsided, we head to the ship. To each their own, but why rush?

And frankly, if you don't like crowds, a vacation on a boat with thousands of passengers may not be your best plan!

We too prefer to board as early as we possibly can. Previously that has been around noon-1pm because we drive down from the Carolinas straight to the port so we have been driving for quite some time. This time we are staying at a hotel near the port and plan on being at the ship no later than 11. As previously mentioned the lines are usually the longest between noon and 2pm.

The reason we like to get on as early as possible is to be able to look around the ship get that first beverage and find a nice relaxing spot on deck before the crowds arrive. My thinking is that the sooner I get on that ship, the sooner my vacation actually can start!

Embarkation day is part of the base cruise fare, so we want to spend the day on the ship.

I carry on a small purse, and my husband brings his camera. Everything else is given to the porters, so we don't have a lot of luggage with us. :)

We sail Mariner in April and plan to get onboard early ( first cruise ) to get to concierge and get some things lined out and get questions answered. Make a few reservations and other things. Is this a good time to do this or does everyone try to crowd the C. desk at that time? I will have wife on scooter and will have her wheelchair with carry-on in it. Then maybe have some lunch before we can get to room.

I'm with you Banshee!

We usually like to spend that day exploring the port city. We've had a blast in Miami and San Juan on departure day. Then, after the crowds have subsided, we head to the ship. To each their own, but why rush?

And what did you do with your luggage (or at least your carryons) while you were exploring Miami and San Juan? :confused:

And what did you do with your luggage (or at least your carryons) while you were exploring Miami and San Juan? :confused:

My next cruise is out of San Juan. I'm planning to do some sight-seeing in Old San Juan prior to boarding. The ship doesn't sail away until 8:30PM. I understand the idea that it's "Day One" of the cruise, but getting to explore Old San Juan is turning my 5-port cruise into a 6-port cruise!

The hotel check-out time is noon, but they will store my bags until later than that to allow me to explore the city. Many hotels will do this.

You paid for that first day which usually begins at 11:30 or 12 noon with lunch. Why not take advantage of it?:)

This is the way I look at it too :) I usually board the ship as one of the first passengers on. It makes finding a seat in the Windjammer and avoiding the crowds possible. Plus the food has just been put out and its still real fresh.

By the time it starts getting crowded in the Windjammer I am usually done with lunch and at a bar sipping my first frozen concoction.

Archived