Why board early?

I still don't understand the big rush to getting on-board. I agree with a previous poster as why not explore the port you are in. There is a lot to do in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Go to Lincoln road mall or hang out on Deco drive, really cool places. I would rather do that on the first day than stand in line for food or sit on the deck. Also, you can either store your bags at the hotel you are staying at or even drop them off at the port and leave for the day.

I guess I can understand why everyone wants to be in their swimsuits by the pool the first day, especially if you are coming from the cold but to me it's not a big deal. There are some awesome places to eat at in Miami and some great bars who can make you some good drinks.

If I'm boarding in a port that I've been too numerous times, I'd want to board as early as possible, as others have said, to jump-start my vacation. I used to live in Tampa, Florida - for example - so I'd have no need to post-pone boarding if sailing from that port. Besides, why pay to eat lunch on land when it's FREE on the ship?

However, if I'm cruising from an unfamiliar place where it doesn't require a lot of additional cab fare to be able to explore the port, that's a preferable plan (in my opinion) because it's essentially adding an additional port of call for no additional expense.

I booked a San Juan hotel right in the heart of Old San Juan, walking distance to the city highlights. It will cost us nothing extra (except entry to the fort) to do a self-guided walking tour before taking a cab to the pier and boarding the ship. We'll still hold off and eat a late lunch, so we can eat on board. (Yeah, I admit that it's the "I paid for it" mentality!) But in this case, playing tourist PRIOR to boarding the ship is a more attractive option that boarding early.

It really depends on the departure port.

Ambiance!!! Soaking it in!!! Marinate in the moment!!! :)

Waiting for months to experience that moment of seeing your ship waiting for you, boarding her, and know you've made it! I want that moment to start at 11:00 as well!!!

I guess my question would be "what are you going to do in that hour or two before you board that would be better than boarding early and getting your first beverage and something to eat?"

I made some interesting plans for the morning before we board. :D In my case, we have late check out at the hotel and a great post-race party, so my husband and son will have a nice leisurely breakfast, we'll all have a nice lunch, I'll get a quick shower while the boys load the car, and we'll be at the port around 1 or 2. That way, we can go straight to the stateroom, the boys can change and go to the pool, and I can take a nap!

Depending on itineraries we sometimes fly in the morning of the cruise. On those occasions we usually board early because frankly there's nothing else to do! I don't prefer to do this so I book the EARLIEST flight I can find and that results in a lot of time to kill.

If its a Sunday departure we'll fly in Saturday and spend some time in the port city and get a hotel. Those cruises we get up in the morning and meander around until we're ready to head to the ship. I try to be one or the other though - early or late. I don't like to arrive around the middle when I perceive it to be "busiest" and TRY to avoid the crowds.

I hate lugging luggage, even just a carry-on. If checkout is 11 (but if you have status with most chains you're afforded late checkout anyway) at the hotel you can leave your bags with the bell staff while you go sightseeing or shopping. Then just return to the hotel load the bags and head to port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..are there other reasons to boarding early?

If your comfortable boarding later, then by all means, I'm sure the port agents like having people spread it out. Now, if you were were a first time cruiser, trvaeling with any body who might have documentation issues or minors without their parents, or parents with custody issues, there is a good reason to use every minute possible, just in case!

We like to board as soon as they start letting people on board! I wouldn't be able to sit still in a hotel room just waiting! :rolleyes: Plus I like to walk around and see the ship and take pictures without the crowds in them. :D

We like to board about 1pm. I hate lugging the luggage around the ship. So, we check in a little later, drop our bags in the cabin, eat lunch and explore. We are not in a hurry the morning of embarkation. We, too, like to sleep in, eat breakfast and just take our time.

Also, standing in line for check-in is part of the excitement and anticipation. Just works for us.

Like Ellen, I'm usually climbing the walls at the hotel the morning of the cruise. We like to go early because I can get great pictures of the ship without a ton of people in them and not only can we get a seat in Windjammer but it's usually by the window. We only cruise every other year so we've been waiting a long time to get on our beautiful ship, why wait? And we always fly in a day early so we have time to explore the port city before our cruise.

I made some interesting plans for the morning before we board. :D In my case, we have late check out at the hotel and a great post-race party, so my husband and son will have a nice leisurely breakfast, we'll all have a nice lunch, I'll get a quick shower while the boys load the car, and we'll be at the port around 1 or 2. That way, we can go straight to the stateroom, the boys can change and go to the pool, and I can take a nap!

Sounds like a great plan for you!

I still don't understand the big rush to getting on-board. I agree with a previous poster as why not explore the port you are in. There is a lot to do in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Go to Lincoln road mall or hang out on Deco drive, really cool places. I would rather do that on the first day than stand in line for food or sit on the deck. Also, you can either store your bags at the hotel you are staying at or even drop them off at the port and leave for the day.

This is why we always get to the port a day or two early. Do our exploring at our own pace prior to boarding day. That way we get to enjoy all the city has to offer from the morning through the wee hours of the night! For us we get up in the morning, have a quick bit to eat and are off to the ship. That is the day our cruise starts :D and want to enjoy every minute of it.

Of course there is no right or wrong answers to the question, just lots of options and each of us needs to decide what works best in our situation on that particular vacation.

You paid for that first day which usually begins at 11:30 or 12 noon with lunch. Why not take advantage of it?:)
My thoughts exactly. It is considered Day One of the cruise and we are paying for it, so why not be there as early as possible to enjoy it? It's not as though I'm getting up a 5am to be there by 11:00, I can sleep to 10:00 and be on the ship by 11:30 with ease.

Lines to reserve things on the ship do tend to get longer throughout the day - spa, gym, nursery, specialty restaurants, etc... I like to take care of all that as soon as I get aboard then the remainder of the afternoon is all fun & games.

Only been on one other cruise and my memory is kind of shot. What do they do to let everyone know that the cabins are ready? Do you have to just check it yourself? DO they let some people go to their cabins if they are finished yet not other becasue they arent? Is it an all or nothing kind of thing?

Your plan sounds nice. In November, we cruised with family, and they arranged the 1:00PM shuttle for us all. We got to the ship, and there really weren't any lines, so that was ok. But, we all sat in the hotel lobby from 11:00 AM, (check out time), until 1:00, when the shuttle left, with our carry on luggage. That wasn't fun.

I like to board early, and see the ship before it gets too crowded. I am like a kid, and can't sleep in, because I am too anxious to see our ship! :D My DH likes to sleep in, then head over to the ship. We do it his way, but since you have to check out by 11:00AM, we still get to the ship kind of early. ;)

Only been on one other cruise and my memory is kind of shot. What do they do to let everyone know that the cabins are ready? Do you have to just check it yourself? DO they let some people go to their cabins if they are finished yet not other becasue they arent? Is it an all or nothing kind of thing?

It's all or nothing, and they do not make an announcement. Just check if the fire doors are open after 1pm.

On the Monarch in September, at around 1:00PM, they made an announcement, that the cabins were ready for you to go to them. :)

We like to board as early as possible. We grab a quick bite to eat before the crowding starts and relax by the pool enjoying people watching and a few adult beverages. As soon as the rooms are available we drop off any bags and explore the ship. We always check out our table assignment and take pictures of the common areas; you can usually get nice pictures without a lot of people in the background. Another couple of beverages by the pool and it’s time to unpack and plan the evening. It’s amazing how fast those first few hours on the ship goes.

I would love to sleep in as we are leaving our 3 sons behind (10,10, and 9) and sleeping in doesnt happen very often in our house. Unfortunately, like a previous poster, I'm like a Kid on Xmas and probably wont be able to sleep in and will be up by 7 or so. My wife on the other hand....thats a different story. I'll probably get up and go for an early morning walk. We are staying at the Hilton marina so from what I understand its close to the pier.

It's not as though I'm getting up a 5am to be there by 11:00, I can sleep to 10:00 and be on the ship by 11:30 with ease.

You might not be getting up that early, but I often am! I get very excited on the day of the cruise and usually have trouble sleeping the night before. I usually wake up early and have trouble just biding my time until it's time to go to the port.

You might not be getting up that early, but I often am! I get very excited on the day of the cruise and usually have trouble sleeping the night before. I usually wake up early and have trouble just biding my time until it's time to go to the port.
Yes, I should change my post to say I don't have to get up at 5am, but it doesn't mean I'm not up. I'm very impatient getting to the ship on cruise morning, so much so that I am sure my wife gets annoyed with me. I usually take a cab to the port instead of a hotel shuttle because I may have to wait for other people and the shuttle may not stop at my ship first.:o

Archived